steering lock...how does it work

Bally

Re: steering lock...how does it work

Post by Bally » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks. I always like to do these things right if Zi can and following the manufacturers instructions seems right to me. If not we can sort it. I'm just surprised that given the millions of these buses produced and the availability of the instructions for the earlier lock that we cannot locate instructions for this one... Cheers. Dave
59 Split Panel Deluxe
63 rhd Squareback project

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:54 pm

PM sent...
G
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Vermeulen

Post by Vermeulen » Mon May 14, 2018 4:27 pm

I got an original steeringlock with a key , but cant seem to turn the key

Its a 1966 lock , key fit's perfect , is it possible the electrical component is broke and thats why it doesn't turn ? or does that has nothing to do with it

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Mon May 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Lots of possibilities!

It may fit into the lock.. i.e. it is the correct profile but is not the key for that lock..

The electrical switch can be unscrewed and removed from the back side. I think it is only held by two machine screws.
The lock operates with a plunger which when the lock is in the lock position and the key pulled out shoots out and engages with a pair of welded on plates on the inner column.
The plunger may be seized.
You can puff some graphite dust into the key slot and mechanism to see if that frees it up. The graphite is in a CFC liquid which evaporates.
Do not use wd40 or oil that catches dust n dirt and will seizes up again.
Post pictures..
G
1965 Type21f

Vermeulen

Post by Vermeulen » Mon May 14, 2018 5:15 pm

well for the last 10 years i worked with an other ignition and was wondering if the lock would work. The previous owner said it did but i never tried it ( now 10years later im getting curious lol )
the key should be the correct one for that lock , tho the key is out and the steering is not locked.

i will start by looking for some graphite liquid to put in the key lock and see if it loosens up.
I'll post some pictures then too .

miles

Post by miles » Mon May 14, 2018 6:19 pm

Instructions for the Neiman on thesamba.com

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ma ... german.php
Canterbury Pitt Interior Instructions are here:
http://chocksaway.com/pitt/index.html

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Danke!
1965 Type21f

miles

Post by miles » Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Canterbury Pitt Interior Instructions are here:
http://chocksaway.com/pitt/index.html

Bally

Post by Bally » Mon May 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Is the lock currently installed in your bus? It sounds like it might be from reading your posts. If so, is the lock (key slot) in the locked or unlocked position? As Graham says, when it is in the locked position and you take the key out, the shoot bolt comes out to lock the steering. I cannot recall if you can remove the key with the key in the unlocked position. If your key is removed in the locked position it would suggest to me that either the plunger has not deployed to lock the column or the column does not have the plates welded to it for the plunger to engage in. Good luck! It may be wise to remove it to get it working just in case you manage to free it up enough to lock it. It not enough to unlock it again... you can also lube and clean the plunger if it is off the van. Dave
59 Split Panel Deluxe
63 rhd Squareback project

Vermeulen

Post by Vermeulen » Tue May 15, 2018 4:25 am

The lock is in the "garage" modus , so the column is free and the key can be taken out. It is stil mounted in the bus now.
Thats why i tought its the cilinder that is completely stuck (it hasent been used in more than 10years the og steering ignition/lock )
I will try today to find some liquid graphite today and start with that. see if i can get any movement in the cylinder
do the cables need to be connected to try and turn the cylinder or would it be possible to turn it without the cables connected? if they do that could be the second problem that the electrical component is broken and i will need to find another one

Step by step

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Tue May 15, 2018 4:54 am

Cables do not need to be connected.. as you turn the lock it is moving a finger at the back which is operating the switch..
Look on thesamba gallery...

Why has it not been operated in 10 years..bus off the road? or was it not working?
Switches come up on thesamba.com
1965 Type21f

Vermeulen

Post by Vermeulen » Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

It wasn't connected when i bought the bus 1 years ago. The owner said it worked , but when locked he needed like 5minutes to get it unlocked so he just added another ignition. If he was honost and i hope he was then i should get it loosend with some lube and time.

Vermeulen

Post by Vermeulen » Thu May 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Ok so today i went to the bus to try to see what the problem was with the steering lock.
I think the problem is a worn out key .

here i'm struggling to get the key to turn
https://vimeo.com/270412044

Here you can see that there is alot of play from the key in the ignition
https://vimeo.com/270410071

Here you can see i can get it started.
https://vimeo.com/270409431

So the question now is. can i get new keys made on the old key or do i really need to get the ignition barrel out to let new keys made?

I'm happy and not happy , would be great to get it al working again. Had a 5 min panic when i got the key in the lock stand and the locking pin got out ( but at least i know it works :D ) and couldn't get it out of lock . All ok now again

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Thu May 17, 2018 6:07 pm

This is the difficult part..
The key and the differs are both probably made with brass and putting the key in and out wears them both. So It may not be just the key. Maybe the first thing would be to get Robin at CnC to cut a key to the original VW code.
The VW key has a key number and the number should be stamped on each individual lock. It is easy to find on the cargo door shaft side.
My 62 had a different code on every locking door but it did come from Bootle! If you have the same code throughout I would try that first.
I have not played with trying to get a lock barrell out of one of these steering column locks.
I have a later mexican column lock (sadly no longer made.. should have bought two) and two NOS WASO steering locks for a split column and a WASO steering lock for another vehicle.

I tried to buy a Neiman NOS lock from fixer and fast wheels but cocked up on each attempt.
So I really have no idea.

I also have been loooking for a knackered column lock to attempt to drill to dissect. There are instructions on the web on where to attempt to drill.
There was a lock for sale without a barrell but I tried and tried and could not find a barrell.

On a different note I bought a WASO CSL from blackdog1999 which had they key broken off inside and I did manage with my locksmith's tools to extract the broken piece and my locksmith friend (since retired) cut me a copy onto a Borkey blank (bought from a well known USA key dealer on eBay USA for a few dollars n cents!)

Do not give up but I fear you will turn your key in the lock and may not be able to open it..

Keep looking on thesamba.com
G
1965 Type21f

Vermeulen

Post by Vermeulen » Fri May 18, 2018 4:15 am

thnx there is a stamp on the key that says NE and a number ( and also made in italy)
I'm going to the Ben Pon show this weekend and maybe the vw key man will be there and knows more about this.
If i can have another key made i'll just do it . If it works cool if not wel bad luck ( tho he always tells the people they can come back if a key doesn't work.

More on this after the weekend :)