empsters ongoing ride.......Time for a bit of a trim

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
e m p i

Re: empsters ongoing ride.......Time for a bit of a trim

Post by e m p i » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:28 pm

I then just rolled it over the edge of the roof, trimmed around the roof supports and used mare spray adhesive to glue it down. The good thing about fur is that you don't have to be too precise As it stretches quite a bit and you can't see any small gaps that you might miss or if you have to join it.

And this was how it ended up from the inside once it was all stuck down and trimmed up

"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:38 pm

And from underneath although you can see where the new metal roof brace is, it just blends in with the rest of the fur trim that goes round the edge of the roof :cheers:

I did think about lining the entire roof cap with it as well but for the moment it's got proper stuff that they use for lining the inside of vans with so I'll see how I get on with that for now but if I get bored with it I've got enough fur left to do the lot.

It certainly makes it a bit more comfy inside as there's not loads of metal or roof edges showing now and when I camped in it the edges didn't get so cold and didn't get any condensation form on them either.

The next thing I want to look into is getting some sort of thermal mat to go around the inside of the canvas when it's up because you lose so much Heath through it at night. I get the feeling that I'll probably have to get one specially made though as its a different shape to the original dormobile canvas.

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Hmm, seems a while since I've been on here.
I currently have an empty garage.......
Update soon .......

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Thermal matting..
You can buy and make your own bespoke version..

MT Garage. ?

1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Yeah I did look at making my own but thought that for the sake of 200 quids worth of aggro I couldn't be a***d and I'd just buy one and work the overtime to,pay for it (easier and less swearing than making it myself). Then we camped all through last year including me in the car park at Slough brrrr without having the thermal wrap, so didn't bother in the end :lol: :lol:
Not really done much with the bus to be honest, bar a bit of routine maintainence and trying to track down the elusive oil leak. A bit earlier in the year I did treat myself to an unbranded ally cooler, as I fancied a bit of a change from the French one I've been using for about the last 15 or so years. It was fairly dull and oxidised whe I got it so I thought I'd show it some love and gave it a polish up with some Autosol and elbow grease. Came out rather well and has served pretty good over the summer. Although it's not quite as good at keeping the beers cold as my old French one though.

I feel like I should really be using the empty garage to do other stuff but to be honest I've not really got anything to be getting on with for once :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
No doubt that'll change soon.....

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:23 pm

Ha, just found this picture from last year of the open day at Harry Harpics new place in Rayleigh
19575019-6BA8-4884-A3C1-C07EAAFC4A69.jpeg
Was a good day out with some really nice cars and buses and the sun was shining - what more could you ask for.
Attachments
329B7694-3B8C-42B3-94F6-CD3A791B6422.png
96401DDC-DF5D-49F9-A2B3-CDE89505D51E.png

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:57 pm

Well lots and lots and lots has happened over the last year, including us moving 275 miles down to Devon :cheers:
Without a doubt one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
I now have a very nice large garage and a very nice large driveway/parking area that’s all gated off.
0C9D9E85-0523-4919-80C5-58653A5B5404.jpeg
Ah, the last post was about my empty garage....
Well it was empty because I was having a new engine built whilst we were away sunning ourselves in La Palma over Christmas and the new year (and very nice it was too).
New engine is a 2007 stroker with Mofoco polished and ported big valve heads and I have to say it runs very nice. I’ve probably done about 3k miles on it and so far the only problem has been trying to sort the Kennedy stage 1 clutch out and getting the adjustment right. I’ve hopefukly sorted that out now but I’m still not sure I’m going to keep this clutch as it plays havoc with my knee around town.
I’ll do a bigger update when I get a chance but as you can imagine the last 6 months had been somewhat hectic and rather jam packed with house type stuff as the place we’ve bought is a converted coach house and stables that was built around 1840-ish so there’s loads of stuff to be done. Biggest problem is that most of the ceilings are 14’ high and even standing on the top rung of my step ladder I can’t reach them :lol: In fact there’s a couple of bulbs blown in one of the light fittings and I can’t even reach that even though it’s hanging down on a 2’ chain :lol:

Here’s a picture of the bus all loaded up for the 275 mile drive to the new house cos we all know there’s no point in having ‘em and not using ‘em like you should.
7039BA66-9513-4806-8005-8BD8DA79BBE1.jpeg
Anyhow, more updates/pics as time allows
Attachments
ED9CECDE-964D-441A-8754-92CA52B632D6.jpeg

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:50 am

LOL..
I resemble those experiences...
7 step ladder reaches to 12 feet.
We have a grandiosely described.. Scottish listed 1880 6 room apartment in Edinburgh and have just downsized from our family home of 33 years to our ... ahem... retirement home..in Yorkshire
An apartment in a grade 2 listed 1895 board school.
I love high ceilings.
Changing the decor by reinstating the plaster ceiling rose and installing the inherited 16 bulb chandelier was a challenge.. BUT I , as usual, procured the materials and had a skilled man do it for a ridiculously cheap rate.
EMPATHY..
1965 Type21f

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:52 pm

Yeah it’s silly things like not being able to reach the window latches in one of the bedrooms so I can’t open the top windows :lol:
We have some lovely ceiling roses and quite a bit of original detail like picture rails (can’t reach them either) and coving and lovely brass door knobs. Thankfully we aren’t listed but I’m still making sure everything I do is sympathetic to the building and out furniture actually matches the house really well. I’ve just had some lights made for the parlour which have blown glass bowls and the mountings are all nickel plated and they take the Edison style bulbs so you can see the filament inside them. Luckily I’ve not lost my haggling skills as they’d have cost a small fortune at full price. The main two are on 5’ chains so they hang down far enough - just gotta make sure I don’t drop them when I try to fit them :eek: I’m actually considering buying a scaffold tower as it’s easier than a step ladder and safer plus for the height I need there’s not that much between the cost.

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:02 am

When we bought the house the garage had been converted so that half of it was an office. It had been professionally done with a raised insulated floor, power, tv and phone points and also plaster boarded out and plastered and decorated plus there was carpet and skirting boards down. The stud wall separating it from the bit of garage left as storage had a door to access it. To get the bus in I had to remove the main stud wall and all the flooring. Without going into to much detail all I’ll say is that I hope they had as much aggro putting it all in as I did ripping it all out. I thought it would just be a case of crow bar the wall out and job done. Nope. Took me two days of bloody hard graft. Anyway did it all in the end.
Waste not want not and I made up a frame out of the old 4x2 from the stud wall then used an old bit of work top that I’d removed from the utility room and made myself a work bench.
I did wonder if it would sit straight when it was all bolted together sndim quite chuffed to say that yes it does
If we renew the kitchen work top I’ll probably extend it and have it a bit bigger.
A8B8BBEA-24EC-4FDA-9A0C-9713B5519E21.jpeg
Attachments
1736CB4E-8CF8-4EB5-9A2B-DE1401C39D19.jpeg
4D4708D5-3A78-4FBB-A32C-9F7F9675329E.jpeg

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:02 pm

Not sure whether you’ve noticed, but your garage is pink.

Just saying...

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:32 am

JonnyCJ wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:02 pm
Not sure whether you’ve noticed, but your garage is pink.

Just saying...
:lol: the whole house is pink :lol:
Mrs E is trying to talk me into painting it a sort of light green but I quite like it as it is. I reckon it makes it look and feel more “cottage” like if that makes sense. Given it’s about 180 years old you can get away with a lot more. Honestly :lol:
F1375CE9-3196-4624-B4A9-6295311838F6.jpeg
Doesn’t really show the layout but the main part was a Coachouse which is now the bedroom end of the house and the other end was the stables, which is now the living end. The gap between the two (where the coaches would have come through) has been bridged and that’s the main part of the kitchen diner.
Parking for about 10 cars and at long last a garage big enough for all my stuff and still enough room each side to be able to work on the bus if I want :cheers:

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:06 am

That is not just any pink it is Statement Pink..
"Go down the road and when you come to the PINK house....we are just a few houses farther on..."
Nice.... matches yer handbag..
1965 Type21f

Topic Author
e m p i

Post by e m p i » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:42 am

Funny enough when we give people directions we tell them to go almost to the end of the road and we’re the pink cottage on the left.
type21f wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:06 am
Nice.... matches yer handbag..
:lol: so I’m told

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:48 am

Oh...and lovely house with History!
Sincerely hope you will be very happy there!
We moved end of July and still in chaos!
LOL..
I am enjoying the move.. especially the quality time with the family n the grand daughter squashing...LOL
1965 Type21f