show us ur Sundial/EZ or similar, pics & info req

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

falstaff

Re: show us ur Sundial/EZ or similar, pics & info req

Post by falstaff » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:34 pm

I have a 65 EZ interior, and other bits of older EZ interior. It's a weird mixture of plasticised paperboard (waterproof) that was called bookboard back in the day, and it's not a true veneer. Technically, it's waterproof paper overlaid onto cheap ply,with a pattern printed on it. At least it is for 65, and also appears on some Sundials and a darker verion is foudn on some Freedoms and Travellers etc. SOme parts of the interior, liek the cross-struts for the roof, are the same material overlaid onto fibreboard.

As far as finding matching stuff - good luck. I ende dup buying a spare 66EZ roof made form the same stuff, and turned it into a buddy seat, overlaying it as venner. For other parts I went to Robbin's Timber and found some similar stuff by chance. They didn;t know what it was, it had stood for over 5 years in the cheap section, and no-one wanted it. The pattern is too strong for white American oak and different lighter than Birch or Marine Birch ply.

I dont know if earlier EZs use true ply veneer, but will fidn out shortly - have a 61 doubledoor EZ camper arriving next week.

I may have some bits spare fromt he two large roof panels, depending how much you need.

Ben

tonuptony

Post by tonuptony » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:52 pm

I thought it was oak so thats what I used to replace some of the damaged units in mine. Oak backed plywood available in 8x4 sheets, Im sure I put a pic on here-
EZ Camper

SteveT
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by SteveT » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:59 pm

They vary some are oak ply and others were the paper veneer which i would imagine is nearly impossible to get hold of now.

rustynuts

Post by rustynuts » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks for the quick replies chaps.
Ben, if you do find you have got some spare bits, would be willing to pay and would help me out, PM me when you got time.

I also stupidly sold my EZ windows when I first restored the van, so if you have any or know of anyone who does that also would be great as am looking to put them back.

Think we should revive this thread and get some kind of EZ register up with a few names and pics as there can't be many in the UK??
Had mine 3 years now and wouldn't swap it for any other. (But then again i'm biassed)
Have just had 2 weeks in france and the practicality and storage of the EZ conversion is brilliant.

Jon :D

falstaff

Post by falstaff » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Yup, I like EZ's personally - well thought out and nice inside. In a way it's good that dealers have pushed the so42s so relentlessly, because it means others liek EZ, Sundials, Rivieras, Freedoms etc can sneak under the radar (so far...it will change) and stay a bit different. Being honest, I'd have to say that the strength of the EZ interiors isn't great always, but that's the price you pay for light weight. I dont like the plastic veneer look of the so42 interior myself (or on early bays either, used to own a cali Westy 71).

Jon, I'll see what i can dig out and Pm you. My 61 EZ is here but wont be delivered until I'm away on hols next monday. Will have a look when I get back, and see if the ply is any thicker than say 65, when cost-cutting must have been creeping in.

That said, my 65 EZ interior is holding up well, with two kids and motorway trips down to the beach for the day etc. Think they shoudl last pretty well with some basic care...they've survived (mostly) this long.

Note: bookboard paper veneer is still available apprently in industrial uses and outside accommodation like Portacabins etc...I heard this a few months ago. Dont know whether it's actually true, but the local wood merchants seem to think so. Aged pine veneer might come close looks-wise, white US oak, and some cuts of marine Birch ply (not quarter-sawn...which would cost a bomb anyhow)

Ben

rustynuts

Post by rustynuts » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:49 am

Nice one Ben.
Bet you're excited about the arrival of the '61.
Be sure to post some pics..... :cyclopsani:
Speak to you soon.
Jon :)

malcolm57

Post by malcolm57 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:45 pm

some nice pics there keep them coming 8)

Monkeydub

Post by Monkeydub » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:50 pm

I'm also looking for a pair of converted panel EZ or sundial windows.
Image - Stainless nut & bolt kits and NEW UNIQUE rubbers door seals - SSVC discount

Image - Sussex based - VW Camper Wedding Hire

Kews

Post by Kews » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:49 am

led bring this trad up..
here is mine EZ camper, it's a 60 found in Arizona where is sat for maybe 40 years 8O just got it ready for mot..
Attachments
bus_testdrive.jpg
35123433_1870403049685181_3913756624556130304_n.jpg

jezzer

Post by jezzer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi,

my old bus (blue one0 and the beige one which belonged to a good friend of mine. Both buses still knocking about somewhere I think
ninove 2.jpg
le brev 10.jpg
cheers
jezzer
stay low, move fast (well, as fast as a 1500sp will go)
RHCP 08/09

jayvanman

Post by jayvanman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Nice.

I'm just putting it out there for now. But I'm going traveling this Autmn/winter and I am thinking of selling my Sundial.

IRS
dual circuit brakes
12v
Kombi conversion
Original Hippy bus that was left for 24 years before I got it.
99% original interior
Pearl white

If anyone is interested give me a pm

Jason
he who sins grins