Lower arm & anti roll bar fitment

Topic Author
Andy C
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Lower arm & anti roll bar fitment

Post by Andy C » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:16 am

Keep thinking about this (probably way too much!). On my bus the tie rods are horizontal when it’s on the ground. During cornering and as the body rolls, would this have the effect of creating increasing toe out as the tie rods move in an arc around the pitman arm and effectively shorten - granted it wouldn’t be much. Mid corner and as the body rolls, the outside wheel is ‘loaded’ and increasingly steering away from the corner. On a bus with stock beam & spindles are the tie rods angled down towards the spindle? If so there would be increasing toe in on the outside wheel as the tie rod effectively increases in length. I’m probably over thinking this but just trying to work out the effect of an ARB and reducing the body roll.
1964 Australian built 'Kombi'

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 pm

Getting a bit technical for me re Ackerman angles etc however, I’ve cut and sleeved a standard front ARB for my 65.

Creative Weedeater 2, dropped spindles, Gaz shocks.

Drives really well and was such a joy to feel the difference in steering when I picked it up from the garage.

Tried fitting the clamps myself but it was a no no. Ended up having to buy a new set of clamps as I ruined the first set trying to fit myself.

Mind you that was on axle stands in a cold garage.

When cutting and sleeving make sure you get the distance between the two ends spot on. I was probably 3-5mm too short, but just about got away with it. Don’t forget you have to fit the small u shaped clamps on the tips for max effectiveness.

I’m probably 1mm away from the central boss on the beam with the sleeve, so don’t go too thick. I had mine done by an engineering shop and professionally welded.

Incidentally, I didn’t know a rear ARB was available ? Anyone have a pic or details ?

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 pm

JonnyCJ wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 pm
Getting a bit technical for me re Ackerman angles etc however, I’ve cut and sleeved a standard front ARB for my 65.

Creative Weedeater 2, dropped spindles, Gaz shocks.

Drives really well and was such a joy to feel the difference in steering when I picked it up from the garage.

Tried fitting the clamps myself but it was a no no. Ended up having to buy a new set of clamps as I ruined the first set trying to fit myself.

Mind you that was on axle stands in a cold garage.

When cutting and sleeving make sure you get the distance between the two ends spot on. I was probably 3-5mm too short, but just about got away with it. Don’t forget you have to fit the small u shaped clamps on the tips for max effectiveness.

I’m probably 1mm away from the central boss on the beam with the sleeve, so don’t go too thick. I had mine done by an engineering shop and professionally welded.

Incidentally, I didn’t know a rear ARB was available ? Anyone have a pic or details ?
There isn't a rear ARB for a split, there there are aftermarket ones for IRS and SA bugs, so there are options but none are easy.

But yes, I remember CE telling me an ARB wasn't necessary on a CE beam as it would make no difference. I wonder if he believed that, or it was just as they don't make one. Those that I've fitted them for have always said it makes a massive improvement and wouldn't remove it.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 pm

Might need to edit your post Jim to “wouldn’t” remove it !

I’m IRS on the rear - do you know who does rear IRS ARB ?

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:24 pm

Lol...

Sway Away are usually the manufacturers, but they only deal with the trade. So you'd need to do find their part numbers and hunt for a US stockist.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks Jim - will do some digging