1963 UK RHD Ragtop Beetle

If it's not bus related and it's for sale post it here.
When something has sold please mark it AS *** SOLD ***

Topic Author
Red Devil
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

1963 UK RHD Ragtop Beetle

Post by Red Devil » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:26 pm

After much soul searching I’ve decided that I should consider selling my beetle. It is a 1963 UK RHD Ragtop in ruby red. I have obtained the birth certificate which confirms it is a factory ragtop and the matching numbers/engine are all original and the information I have can demonstrate the current 87k mileage is genuine too.

The Beetle is fitted with a number of rare accessories which include: perspex and chrome wind deflector, Volkswagen locking gear stick and ignition switch and Golde ragtop. As noted, the Golde ragtop roof was fitted from the factory making this a very rare UK car. 

The Beetles condition throughout is fantastic. For a car of its age and being a non-import it has survived remarkably well. I was informed that the car had minimal restoration work back in 1983, which consisted of a respray, carpet and headlining. All the panels are original Volkswagen including the floorpan sections and heater channels which still have plenty life left in them. Although the bodywork is really good it is not concourse with a few small areas which could do with attention to make this a truly stunning vehicle. Other original features of the Beetle include: The seats and vinyl upholstery, door cards, interior parts: speedo, glovebox cardboard insert, steering wheel and the engine. The engine is confirmed as the original unit which the Beetle left the factory with. It has all of its original tinware alongside the original mechanical components, for example the solex carburettor.  

The matching numbers are not just confirmed by the birth certificate but the amazing history file which contains the original service book and the original sales invoice from when it was purchased new in Tottenham, 1963. The file also contains M.O.T certificates, service receipts, parts receipts, concours mark sheets, Tax Disks etc. I do confess the preservation of the car will also be in part due to the Carseal applied from new (invoice included) although I do doubt that you can make a claim these days on the lifetime guarantee included with it!!! Although not technically required I would never drive my cars without an annual MOT check and it has a current valid certificate through to April 2020.

It had a full brake service just before I purchased it but since it’s purchase I have upgraded it to dual circuit brakes and added rear seatbelts for my children using only the factory attachment/anchor points. It still runs on its 6v system and I have upgraded the lights so other road users can see when you are when braking and turning!! I also purchased a new 6v Optima battery as the one on my campervan has been nothing short of brilliant. I have purchased a new clutch and throwout bearing kit to fit this winter as I’m sure the bearing needs replacing. I also purchased a new wiring loom so that one day I could tidy up the electrics but these aren’t essential jobs so you can just use as is and get them sorted when you have time, they do all work as they are. These items will be included in the sale though.

So in summary a really nice and quite rare car. Not 100% perfect but is in good condition overall and with a little work it would be an amazing piece of history.

I do have a genuine reason for sale which I’m happy to talk through with any interested party.

Although it is a rather dull day outside I hope the pictures below give a good idea as to the condition etc.

In terms of price I’d be looking for £12,400 or nearest offer for such a rare car with the history it has. If there is any interest then please do drop me a message and I’ll try to answer your questions as quickly as possible and of course viewings are most welcome. I am based near to Lincoln.

Thanks
Steve
Attachments
57E839B0-22BB-4D46-9FB5-F8875C9576B3.jpeg
A218EBC1-CC79-4120-9F71-27A159BE3A85.jpeg
BD012C75-26A7-4748-824E-35FCDE6AC2BC.jpeg
47D89286-0ED0-468A-A2E1-8E4795F0F76C.jpeg
61B096B9-A4F0-4A8E-9212-14205500FF30.jpeg
8F708B1B-22ED-496E-AD04-6AACAC0FA74D.jpeg
D661EF1E-AE9D-4C0C-ACEA-1EC3239718A1.jpeg
C1681969-C174-42C3-B9AA-318780FCB787.jpeg
649B88B1-2295-4833-A1A3-798462A24467.jpeg
F6F58DC1-D2A2-42D4-ABF4-F75FBCB186F7.jpeg
Last edited by Red Devil on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic Author
Red Devil
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: 1963 UK RHD Ragtop Beetle

Post by Red Devil » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Have now updated original post with pictures and details.

Thanks

Steve

Topic Author
Red Devil
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: 1963 UK RHD Ragtop Beetle

Post by Red Devil » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:41 pm

Thanks to those who have requested additional pictures and information. I fully appreciate that January is probably one of the worst times of the year to sell a vehicle like this for many reasons. However, whilst I’m in no particular rush to sell it is taking up garage space which is preventing me working on other things. Therefore I’m lowering the price to £12,400 ono to see if this helps me and potential buyers. I’m happy to keep it and then drive it to the shows next spring but if anyone is interested please do let me know.

Steve