BOM bill of materials

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
Nocky
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

BOM bill of materials

Post by Nocky » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi all, anyone ever seen an original VW BOM (Bill of materials) with part numbers for a 1964 \ 1965 bus ? ( or any bus)

I may be able to get one if not as we work with VW but could take some time so thought I’d ask here first. I’ve found nothing so far online.

Thanks in advance
1964 Microbus US import - The dream has become reality :bs:

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: BOM bill of materials

Post by type21f » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:13 am

I do not think that hierarchical or flat structure BOM systems would have been available or able to be accessed outside of manufacturing.

I am aware of what you are referring to having worked in OEMs. ETKA does include some historical engine data. This did at one time allow VW marques Audi Seat etc. to cross reference parts and part structures from the common parts bin which started over 30 years ago in the VW group. I worked on WERS in JLR across the Ford Land Rover Jaguar Volvo groups.
In ETKA if you want to find the part number of an item you can call up VIN number and System go down to component level and identify part number. Then you could backward search part number and identify all models that were using the common Part number. This was valuable when searching for a part new or used. My old Audi Quattro had parts from many VW group models. The same parts were sold in the VW distributor and were cheaper. ETKA did include type1 type2 engine parts only.
The nearest you will get access to any similar information is via on line image access to parts manuals in paper form on the obsolete documentation site.
This does have visual exploded images and parts listings by model and VIN which you can tie back to year.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic Author
Nocky
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: BOM bill of materials

Post by Nocky » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds like we’ve worked in the same circles. I have some contacts at vw so I’ll see what I can find out from them.
1964 Microbus US import - The dream has become reality :bs: