SGS Inspection Quandry

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
65splitpanel

SGS Inspection Quandry

Post by 65splitpanel » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:15 am

Hi all - I wonder if someone may be able to offer some advice on this please? I'll try to be as succinct as possible!

Following sending in my V55 and associated docs (including insurance cert on chassis no and original California title) to DVLA to register my 65 Panel (brought in from the USA by myself) I have now received a letter from DVLA stating that "before they consider issuing a registration certificate, I will need to make an appointment for inspection with SGS"

Now, this is the fourth classic VW I have imported (private use vehicles, not as a business) and I have never had this request for inspection. This is where I need the advice as I may have made a boo boo.

On the V55/5, under colour, although it is currently Ivory, I stated 'White' - as the original colour is L87 and it is my intention to take it back to original paint (the cab area is the original Pearl White). I also gave the engine number for the motor that was in the bus - since stripped and was to be refurbed, the case was trash and has been ditched - the plan now being my 2276 will go in it. I obviously want to get the bus registered right away however, if I invite the inspector now, he will find that the vehicle is not 'White' but Ivory, and the engine with the number I quoted is not present. I obviously do not want anything disasterous like a Q plate or something so I am quite annoyed at myself for this situation. Can anyone offer any advice at all with this?

For info too - the bus has the M plate present on the bulkhead and the VIN plate on the airbox. All numbers tally with what the bus is - panel, cargo doors right, LHD, L87 Pearl White, etc etc. The bus has had the usual few mods - adjustable front beam, front discs, berg shifter. EMPI 5's. No chassis mods such as raised steering box area etc.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice or thoughts on this.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: SGS Inspection Quandry

Post by vwJim » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:06 am

They randomly pick a percentage of the applications, so it's not an issue on your paperwork.

The colour won't matter, as white / ivory is close enough.

What you will fail on, as stated in the DVLA letter, is that the vehicle has to be complete. So the engine needs to be there.

They will photograph the body, interior, VIN plates, and engine number.

So as your engine is missing, they won't sign it off.

I recently went through this. I drove my panel over to when my Samba is stored, pulled the panel engine, fitted it to the samba, had the inspection, then refitted it to panel to drive home.

Once the samba engine is built, I'll just update the v5 details in the usual manor.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
65splitpanel

Post by 65splitpanel » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:06 am

Morning Jim - thanks for the fast response. So, can I just put my 2276 in the bus before the inspection then? The only problem is, it has no engine number as is a new ally case and is an IDA motor - will they be expecting to see an original, single carb motor?

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:43 am

They won't care what the engine is. It just needs to be there.

If the engine is blank, just stamp the number on it that you put on the form so it ties up.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

james309
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by james309 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:57 am

The engine number wont matter, very rarely does it come on the registration document even if filled in and documented on the application. Is to add later and have it updated if you wish.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Topic Author
65splitpanel

Post by 65splitpanel » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks very much for the replies fellas - very kind of you all to help.

Rich

grant
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by grant » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:36 pm

I had an inspection last week and the engine in bus(a replacement) wasn’t the same no. as on my application form(I am rebuilding original and put that down). Dvla phoned me up and questioned it and I told them the situ
They said the engine in there now has to go on V5 and then change it at a later date. Really helpful and no problems with them
Posh Scouse laa laa

Droger45

Post by Droger45 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:58 am

grant wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:36 pm
I had an inspection last week and the engine in bus(a replacement) wasn’t the same no. as on my application form(I am rebuilding original and put that down). Dvla phoned me up and questioned it and I told them the situ
They said the engine in there now has to go on V5 and then change it at a later date. Really helpful and no problems with them
Great to hear it didn't make any hassle.

Topic Author
65splitpanel

Post by 65splitpanel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Thanks very much again for the replies fellas

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:36 am

I had SGS round to inspect mine. Real car enthusiast and very happy to chat about old school cars.

They’re basically trying to stop people putting a V8 in a Morris Minor and class it as a standard car.

He won’t know the cc of the engine unless you tell him.

Let us know how you get on