Engine dies after a few miles

Topic Author
frilly

Engine dies after a few miles

Post by frilly » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Good evening all , been out again in my 56 single cab , trouble is engine cuts out . I get a warning after what seems like it's not running on all 4 cylinders then cuts out . Does start again after some time after cooling down . Has fuel in tank , can anyone help please? Kind regards neil

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Engine dies after a few miles

Post by Marvelwear » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:53 pm

Coil hot,

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

[img]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... 902021.jpg[/img] 63 CKD Australian type2t1b School clothing bus from Melbourne called"Marvin"

animal
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by animal » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:21 am

Hi - Points gap too small and closing up when hot ? - could you post some more detail on what dizzy, ignition, carb, fuel pump, HT lead and coil set up you are running please.

Topic Author
frilly

Post by frilly » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Sorry yes, 1600 sp 28 pict 1 carb 009 dizzy , long neck oil bath filter( early type ) standard leads and caps! I opened up the points slightly to 20 tho. I was thinking maybe coil too . Kind regards neil

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Marvelwear » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 pm

Had it with coil overheating because of plug gaps.did same thing .

[img]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... 902021.jpg[/img] 63 CKD Australian type2t1b School clothing bus from Melbourne called"Marvin"

Topic Author
frilly

Post by frilly » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Another coil sort the problem?

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Marvelwear » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:44 am

And dizzy, plugs leads then found coil at fault ,so cause was probably plugs.

Topic Author
frilly

Post by frilly » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:24 pm

New coil fitted , still the same problem!

henk

Post by henk » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:16 am

Take a test spark with you and when is shutt off have a look with the test spark on your coil if it gives a spark.
Or see on all cilinders if it gives a spark.

Henk!!!

Banger
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Banger » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:43 am

Things to check:

Is the fuel tank clean inside; have you ever removed it and given it a good shake and drain with some nuts and bolts inside?

Is there a filter in the fuel tank outlet and if so is it clean?

Is the fuel line (both hard and soft) clean and clear up to its entry into the fuel pump?

Have you checked the output pressure of the fuel pump? All the aftermarket ones I've tried have produced up to 6psi at 2800rpm.

Have you checked the length and condition of the fuel pump push rod, and is it compatible with the fuel pump?

The 28 pict1 is too small for a 1600sp - it should be either a 30 pict1 or a 30 pict2. You can also use a Brosol h30 / 31 but jetted correctly.

The 009 isn't compatible with either of the Solexes or the Brosol - you could use an SVA one such as a 205K or a 131-905-205. A 40HP fatcap will also work with the Brosol.

Timing is set at 7.5 degrees BTDC at 8/900rpm, vacuum ports plugged.

Points gap is 16 thou.

Plug gap is 25 thou.

Have you checked the compression on each cylinder, and are the values within 5% of each other?

Have you checked the valve clearances?

Is the choke operating correctly?

Is the thermostat installed and operating correctly?

Is the heat riser tube clean and clear?

Have you checked for any leaks in the entire inlet system ie from the carb all the way up to each head inlet manifold?

I'm sure there will be other things to look at...

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:37 pm

Leave the tank cap off? may be fuel vacuum in the tank...been known before.
Could also be a faulty condenser on the Dizzy.

Topic Author
frilly

Post by frilly » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks Ted , left the fuel cap off the other day ( someone else told me that) changed the condenser the other day . Now waiting for a dry day to try again!

eliotc

Post by eliotc » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:04 pm

Did you get this sorted, Frilly?

Sounds like it's getting too hot. You've eradicatd the coil (and BTW, always have a spare new coil in the van with you, same with plug leads and points - it'd be a shame to break down due to any of these things which are such a cinch to replace, maybe even a fuel pump too. I'm sure you carry a spare belt and the means to change it on the roadside?

Anyway, the fact that is starts fine, then cuts out when hot and then won't start until it cools suggests it's overheating, no? If when it cuts out you find that you can't hold the dipstck, then it's running too hot. Incorrect timing will cause your engine to overheat (we'll assume all tin-ware is correct with nothing missing). Do you notice it pinking/knocking? Maybe under full load going up a hill? Bad carb mixture setting will also cause engine overheating.

It could be a stack of things but until the following are sorted/checked, you're only guessing:

You're getting a good clean supply of fuel
The valves are adjusted within spec.
The CB points are adjusted within spec. Replace if you have any doubts
Time with a strobe light - if you haven't got a timing strobe light, buy one. Every owner should have one and know how to use it. Otherwise you'll be back in the garage everytime you adjust/replace the points.
Adjust carb to get best idle - learn how to adjust mixture scew, then idle.

I'd mentioned some spares above, and these are things that I choose to carry with me in the Bus, but it's worth having a spare dizzy sat in your garage too. These spares are cheap enough and you can systematically swap items out until you find the culprit. Certainly don't start by taking your fuel tank out and cleaning it. You'll know if it's your fuel tank because your fuel filter will immediately "muck-up" on replacement. You need a clean fuel tank of course, but there's loads of stuff to check before taking the tank out.

Air leaks play havoc too and it's impossible to time or adjust the carb if they're present. Satisfy yourself that you don't have any.

Good luck, you should have fun trying to sort this.

Topic Author
frilly

Post by frilly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi Elliott c , been out again in the truck and same thing happened again , new coil and condenser fitted ! Sit and wait for 10-15 mins and she's starts again!

Topic Author
frilly

Post by frilly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:42 pm

It's always after roughly the same amount of miles and time ( dare dnt go any further then my usual trip round the block a few times! )