Broken Down

Topic Author
Dot
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Broken Down

Post by Dot » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Hi all, I’ve stopped to assist a chap in a 65 bus, and it’s died. Starts after about 10 mins however feels like it’s flooded, once that goes away it runs fine.

Until you go to drive and after 5 mins or so under load we are dead again and back to square one.

009 Distributor, points and condenser.

I’m at the end of my knowledge - I don’t think it’s ignition though.

Carb is Solex h30/31 pict, unorthodox spring from previous breakdown.

Appreciate any help,

Dot
Attachments
1627E491-AC7A-4EEC-9988-58CFD8DCA01A.jpeg
'59 import Mango... plus a liberal sprinkling of rust....

richandsue
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Broken Down

Post by richandsue » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:42 pm

could be fuel pump failing. not delivering enough fuel, hence after a few miles runs out of fuel. then when you are cranking the engine fuel is gradually filling the carb back up. then you get going again. just a thought though. :cheers:

j0hn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by j0hn » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:33 pm

When did they last have a run out in it? It might be the colder weather causing carb icing.

I had similar issues years ago when I first got my bus - it has the same cheap pancake air filter on it, which caused carb icing after around 10 minutes of driving. It wouldn't start straight away, bit would be fine after a few minutes rest. Then you'd set off again and repeat the process.

I ditched it for a set of twin carbs instead, but a proper oil bath filter would be just the job too.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:14 pm

Similar to above, if the fuel filter is blocked or the isn't vented it'll cause that.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
Dot
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dot » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:13 am

Chaps got sorted bus recovery, unsure what the problem is/was still. Thanks for responses.
'59 import Mango... plus a liberal sprinkling of rust....