Overhaul

Topic Author
nickk

Overhaul

Post by nickk » Fri May 10, 2019 11:11 pm

its Time to repair my 1600 twin port,after 1800m in France keeping the revs up enough to extinguish the oil light,20 miles from home,the light won’t go out.this seems an opportunity to improve the engine,not after any bling though I fitted an empi big sump with proper filter last summer,so am tempted with a proper remote filter,also bigger barrels,all within the limits of the crank though,what about the carb can I get better economy with something more modern.the vans only used for holidays,mainly abroad & it works hard with a family of 5.all ideas & experiences welcome. Thanks nick.

Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: Overhaul

Post by Dougie » Sat May 11, 2019 5:04 am

What sort of budget ? Without machining the biggest you can go is 1641. I doubt you'd notice any real gains.
You could get a recon long block from the usual suppliers, swap the ancillaries from your old engine, lose the deep sump, and you're good to go.
You could buy a brand new 1776 off the shelf. You would then have to start on quite a shopping list to get the most out of it, carbs, exhaust etc. I have one of these from Heritage. At 3.5k they are not cheap, but I already had the go faster bits so it was affordable. You certainly will feel the difference, at 60 mph I can put my foot down and still feel it pulling.
SSVC Club President
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Sat May 11, 2019 6:21 am

nickk wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:11 pm
its Time to repair my 1600 twin port,after 1800m in France keeping the revs up enough to extinguish the oil light,20 miles from home,the light won’t go out.this seems an opportunity to improve the engine,not after any bling though I fitted an empi big sump with proper filter last summer,so am tempted with a proper remote filter,also bigger barrels,all within the limits of the crank though,what about the carb can I get better economy with something more modern.the vans only used for holidays,mainly abroad & it works hard with a family of 5.all ideas & experiences welcome. Thanks nick.
Why put a deep sump on a 1600cc?

Was the oil light coming on from cold or only after you'd been driving for some time?
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
nickk

Post by nickk » Sun May 12, 2019 9:04 pm

The sumps only 40mm,but I dislike the crude strainer,so that’s why I fitted it.splitted the cases today ,the second main is deeply pitted,but the oil strainer pick up ,which the empi filter spigots onto has been gouged right thru by the cam,it swivels in the case,could the m6 studs I fitted with the kit have vibrated upwards,pushing it into the cam?be surprised however as on dismantling it was only 2 threads protruding .
The light appeared after 70 miles,and then just a flicker at idle.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Mon May 13, 2019 7:50 am

So either the pickup the was sucking air (it would do that from cold unless the hole formed during that journey) or the oil was hot and thinned out.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:33 am

Now you've got it apart.... Fit new shells if the crank looks OK - maybe a Scat C25, or Engle 110 Cam - fit a new oil pump (or at least look at the cover plate and blueprint it) & bolt it back together - leave the deep sump off.
Circa £200 all in...

Topic Author
nickk

Post by nickk » Mon May 13, 2019 8:57 pm

I’ll have the crank ground.i fitted a new pump in France,which helped a little,but I’ll replace it again as there was metal particles in the oil & a lump from the pick up.whats the objections to the sump extension?

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Mon May 13, 2019 9:00 pm

nickk wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:57 pm
I’ll have the crank ground.i fitted a new pump in France,which helped a little,but I’ll replace it again as there was metal particles in the oil & a lump from the pick up.whats the objections to the sump extension?
Pointless on a stock engine

Topic Author
nickk

Post by nickk » Mon May 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Need a replacement fan housing as the stat & everything it controls are missing.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Mon May 13, 2019 10:35 pm

You can retro fit the flaps etc back into it, rather than outlaying for new everything.

Topic Author
nickk

Post by nickk » Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Where can you get the flaps and everything else? John muirs excellent manual says the pick up pipe should be peened into the crankcase,mine hadn’t been,still puzzled ,though,how it had lifted towards the cam ?

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:31 am

Try FBI or Desi Yates (on Facebook) - all the big auto-jumbler traders will have all the parts secondhand - Desi will for sure.

Topic Author
nickk

Post by nickk » Sat May 18, 2019 2:08 pm

I noticed there’s a slot in the pick up which lines up with one of the 6 flange studs holding the strainer plate on so I can replace the stud with a bolt and if necessary a mudguard washer,no need to peen the spigot at the pump end.

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:19 pm

nickk wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:08 pm
I noticed there’s a slot in the pick up which lines up with one of the 6 flange studs holding the strainer plate on so I can replace the stud with a bolt and if necessary a mudguard washer,no need to peen the spigot at the pump end.
If that tube has been moving then you definitely need to peen it where it fixes to the case. If you don't the tube will suck air and trash your new bearings, and yes you can replace the stud with a bolt but make sure it doesn't work loose by using a nyloc nut on the inside.
1966 Westy in Velvet Green - being restored
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!