Newbie looking for a panel van please

Topic Author
Skyelectrix

Newbie looking for a panel van please

Post by Skyelectrix » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 am

Hi and apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. I’m new to the forum and couldn’t see a vehicles wanted heading.
I’ve been about vw’s for quite a while and had always had a desire for a panel van but never quite managed to be in the right place at the right time with the cash!
So as per title looking for a panel van that’s complete and ready to go. I would be interested in a project but not really interested in lots of welding (just finishing the resto of a late bay Westy which has been a journey!) I’m based in west wales but would be willing to travel for the right van.
Thanks in advance
Jay

P.s. love the forum! Some great reading here!

Daxter

Re: Newbie looking for a panel van please

Post by Daxter » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:09 am

There’s quite a few for sale on here. Maybe you should mention what your budget is?

Topic Author
Skyelectrix

Post by Skyelectrix » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:19 pm

yes I’ve looked at the ones on here and everywhere I can think, but not really finding anything that Stands out for me yet. I’m hoping there might even be something at Dubfreeze on the weekend. I’m not really sure on budget as prices seem to be a bit confusing to me. It seems the more rust they have the higher the price 😂😂 but I suppose somewhere between 10-20k. I’m not looking for a show bus, but more so a solid useable bus that I could improve, if necessary..

Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by Dougie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:14 am

I'm biased, but I would suggest joining the club and come to the annual rally and AGM at Victoria Farm at the beginning of May. Fantastic chilled weekend which involves a convoy of around 200 splits to the Stanford Hall show on Sunday morning. You will not see more splits in one place anywhere else in the UK. Stanford Hall is a cracking show which always has a very healthy for sale area. You don't need to come in a split, you'll still be made welcome and you don't need to have already bought one when you join..
SSVC Club President
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary

Topic Author
Skyelectrix

Post by Skyelectrix » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Thank you Dougie, that sounds like a fantastic idea! We usually go to Stanford hall and the whole family really enjoy it. So the Victoria farm/Stanford hall idea seems ideal. I’ll look into the membership ASAP. I’m hopefully looking at one this weekend when we head up to Dubfreeze. It’s always a trek for us to visit any show because we live in Pembrokeshire west wales so it’s easier to view a van when we are already heading to a show.

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm

If you see something to buy seek guidance on condition and work Involved
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic Author
Skyelectrix

Post by Skyelectrix » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:53 pm

I’m reading all info I can find at the moment. It is going to be a big investment and yes all advice is greatly received. I’m trying to find a buying guide on here too

Topic Author
Skyelectrix

Post by Skyelectrix » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Thanks for moving to the correct place

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:31 am

Welcome, so, see as many as you can, ask to see pictures as most are proud of what they do so should have at least a few, RHD panels in OG condition you will find thin on the ground and LHD vans will give you a blind spot....
Lots of panels got converted back when they were worth less, but today a good one is sort after, so you might find one that has had a window or two fitted which can be addressed later.
DONT WEAR ROSE TINTED GLASSES......

Rocket
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:50 am

...one usefull mod which did not involve cutting holes was to remove the panel van cargo doors and fit kombi/ microbus door or doors.. On a LH van this helps greatly when trying to see at islands and what is overtaking you.
This was a popular mod for campers in panel vans in the day.
But you knew that Ron?
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:21 am

I did indeed, you and I know......but it might not be on his radar when he sees a van, gets all excited...now there's a good word G.....excited...remember that.., anyhow, he loves it, pulls out a wad of cash and stuffs it in the venders hand, drives off and the first roundabout he comes to suddenly realises he can't see....
Ron

All smelling have bean chequed and passt buy hour resedent ofishall memberrs.
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !

Topic Author
Skyelectrix

Post by Skyelectrix » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:17 am

Yes thanks for the advice guys it’s greatly appreciated. I’ve got 4 lhd vw’s already (bays and bugs) and yep it’s a nightmare seeing out of them and they have windows in! I’ll just have to take the missus with me wherever we go! I’m going to take my time to find the right bus and save a bit more cash along the way because I think I’m going to need more! I’m trying to avoid buying a van that needs lots of welding and bodywork as from experience this eats money and time and I’ve already got projects in the garage that have been there for a while. I don’t mind some bodywork or mechanical work at all and I’m guessing there will be a fair amount of this to do as regular maintenance anyway which is cool. I’m pretty busy with work and living in west wales which makes it difficult to get about and view a van so usually we try to do so when visiting a show. Fingers crossed the right one will turn up and I won’t have spent the cash on something else!

Graydog

Post by Graydog » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi I have a dove blue 1958 panel van that I’m getting ready to sell in the next few weeks, send me a contact number or email and I will send you some more pictures and details kevgray82@hotmail.co.uk 07733377173 if you have watsap. It will come on steels not the SA Sprints
Attachments
9FB01269-21A7-4586-AC8D-FD741FCB429C.jpeg
083B01D4-61E4-4916-BC77-6BBD6A780A3C.jpeg
CA3CEA84-B7CC-4309-B638-9693867C677E.jpeg
52D242F6-06C2-4992-ACF5-4BD660F86B58.jpeg

Topic Author
Skyelectrix

Post by Skyelectrix » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:10 pm

Brilliant thanks I’ve pm’d you