brazilian splitsceen v german

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
hockaday123

brazilian splitsceen v german

Post by hockaday123 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:58 pm

hi guys im a member and own a 64 split can i ask any of you experts what is the main difrence between the brazilian and german splitscreen ...quality ? price ?? why is everyone stuck on the german made bus pre 67 ??

comments and information would be great

best regards
Last edited by hockaday123 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: brizzilian splitsceen v german

Post by Who.Me? » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:17 pm

Brizzilian?

I never knew VW had a factory in Bristol. :D

Topic Author
hockaday123

Re: brazilian splitsceen v german

Post by hockaday123 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:53 pm

sorry miss spelling i have put right !! could you advise ?

regards

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:46 am

I know you wanted Experts and I am certainly not one, but as I have a fleetline I can add something.
I've heard all the arguments about Brazilian (and I will lump South African Fleetlines in there) and German, Now I expect that if you had a time-machine car loader and you got brand new 67 German made Splitty and put that alongside a brand new 75 Brazilian / Fleetline splitty, then I expect the German made one would be made slightly better, and not that I'm an expert, but knowing what the Germans are like for engineering standards, its just not in their nature to let anything slide as regards to build tolerances. So apples against apples, I would concede that the German bus wins !
However lets get back to reality. 99 % of these buses have rusted out, and have had repairs from a mish mash of panels and bodges. So any pride in good German engineering in restored repaired buses is nothing but BS. Weve all seen those rust buckets rescued with KlassicFab pannels, the only original thing on them is the Vin plate.
However you are more likely to find an original minimum rust free Brazilian Or Fleetline. and I would have a original un- molested bus over a repaired German one.
Now price wise the if you wanted to get into Splits then Brazilian all the way (prices are still going up on these vans), But selling then its German because of an inherent snobbery about German made.
So to sumarise Original German the best then Un repaired Brazilian / Fleetline then the repaired German / Brazilian I think are the same.
Last edited by gypsy on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by Dougie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:52 am

I've never owned a Brazilian but I imagine the build quality is not as high as the German equivalent. I might be totally wrong but it comes from fitting lots of cheap and nasty Brazilian bits to old beetles in the past. Running boards and chrome bumpers were particular shockers.
I'm sure we have plenty of very happy Brazilian bus owners on here that will put me right.
SSVC Club President
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary

Topic Author
hockaday123

Post by hockaday123 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:45 am

i take it all on board and really aprectiate your time to advise me

many thanks steve

malum
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by malum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 am

then the repaired German / Brazilian I think are the same.
It depends entirely on who repaired them.
A lot of Brazilian buses are being restored in Brazil to an appalling standard. Unless you go and see it you will have no idea, it will look nice and shiny. At least if you buy one here you can go and give it a thorough going over.
If you are buying a restored bus, you want photos of the process, especially a post prepared for paint but not yet painted set of photos.

clymoj

Post by clymoj » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:01 am

From previous discussions, the main points seem to be:

1. Quality of steel. Some say they have measured and find the steel thinner. Others say they have noticed no difference. There is no definitive info on the actual grade and quality of the steel but many say Brazilian is more friable when welding, much as later bay windows are compared to split screens.

2. Repairs. The repairs done to keep a working Brazilian van on the road are usually a different standard to the ones done to keep a cherished camper van on the road. Now given that the majority of buses on the road in the UK are ex-US buses which weren’t campers to begin with, this is up for discussion but on average, more Brazilian buses have ‘functional’ repairs than do US or UK buses. Individual buses can be from either camp, we’re just talking averages here.

3. Exteriors. The unusual mix of exterior features on Brazilians comes from using a mix of old tooling from previous eras, at least beyond 1967, earlier buses tend to be more congruous. Some people don’t like the look, particularly if they are used to looking at what looks ‘right’ about a German bus. If you can’t tell your high hinge from your fat lip then this doesn’t matter.

4. Interiors. The majority of Brazilians are basic kombi models with 70s interiors so in terms of desirability the lack of early original features can make these feel like a 1980s barn conversion rather than a Georgian manor house. If you’re going to rip it out and have a blank canvas then this doesn’t matter as much.

5. Mechanical. Brazilians were updated with more modern technology as time went on, so have a mixture of all eras of type 2 parts including early and late bay, as well as hybrid parts designed to mate late and early parts, spindles being a famous example. Some of these can take a bit of knowledge and research to work out, they can end up being cheaper and better, or they can end up being super rare and hard to find, or poorer quality. In general modern Brazilian parts are nowhere near as good quality as original German parts where like for like equivalents are available.

6. Cost. Brazilians are cheaper. If you pick a cracker and do all your own maintenance this may appeal to you. If you end up spending a lot of money on repairs and restoration you may wish you’d started wit ha more valuable bus.

Hopefully that’s a good start to help you make a decision. I’ve tried to not be too biased but obviously I chose a UK delivered German built bus for many of the reasons above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Author
hockaday123

Post by hockaday123 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:29 pm

many thanks for all your comments greatley appreaciated

best regards steve

jackricha
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by jackricha » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:53 pm

I own a ‘67 Brazilian bus and it’s much like the above.
Repairs were very poor, mine was restored over here so I now know it’s all good.
There didn’t seem to be much difference with the metal (mostly autocraft now!)

As it stands German buses seem to be well priced at the moment.
You will pay less for Brazilian bus but you’ll sell it for less.
At the time I could only afford a unrestored Brazilian split so I went for it.

The early Brazilian buses are built better than the later ones, as they were knock down kits from Germany and monitored by VW before they built their own factory.

I think now I would go for a German split because they are currently well priced, likey to hold their value better but the main reason would be finding parts, in Brazil they used a mix of early (pre 63) parts with late parts, so finding everything was pretty annoying.

Feel free to message me if you want to know more.

Jack

Topic Author
hockaday123

Post by hockaday123 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:26 am

thanks for that jack i have pm you

cheers steve

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:40 pm

I've worked on one Brazilian bus, and it was amazing. So nice, everything worked, door gaps etc etc. Perfect.

Every other one has been, well, not so nice down to a complete dog.

Certain items certainly are thinner. Rear bumper irons are a good example. Half the strength. As said about, most are a random mix of early and late, so can be a nightmare ordering parts for them unless you know the differences.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
hockaday123

Post by hockaday123 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:30 pm

cheers for that jim ...many thanks

what would a fully restored one be worth jim with a nice tidy interior >>20k ??

regards steve