Swedish 66 Crew Cab

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
mabbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Swedish 66 Crew Cab

Post by mabbo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:23 pm

Got the jacking points seamed up:

And spot welded to the sill, as factory:

Marked up the factory tack welds on the underside of the front floor under the bench seat, and replicated:

Heater tubes in and welding around the front finished:

Clutch pedal guide cleaned up and welded as factory:

New chassis rails didn't have any wiring tabs, so they were made and spot welded:

Clutch tube bracket made and welded:

Spent what seemed like forever tidying all the welds up, and prepping the chassis ready for epoxy primer:
RETRO RESTORATION
Brownhills, West Midlands
07736 248020
www.retro-resto.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook

Topic Author
mabbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by mabbo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:19 pm

Got a bit more done...

The chassis has been epoxied:

Spent today cutting the body from the chassis and seperating the front and back half. It dont look as bad in the pictures as it is... Its a pear.

Planning on getting the front half repaired first... the back half dont look too bad :)
RETRO RESTORATION
07736 248020
www.retro-resto.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook

Topic Author
mabbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by mabbo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 pm

We wanted to get the body sitting over the restored chassis so we could make a start to the repairs on the body. We removed the remains of the original inner valance so the body would sit at the correct height on the new inner valance on the restored chassis. Also removed the remains of the front bulkhead that had previously been hacked out, and the patched up lower B posts so we could see how the new bulkhead from BBT fit.

Body sits nice on the chassis and everything seems to line up as expected, but the new bulkhead isnt as good as we had hoped. Id never fitted one before and every other panel from BBT has been good, but the shape at the top of the panel where it meets the B post isnt right and will need some work. I know the bulkhead is the wrong one but my customer isnt bothered. I would be if it was my bus, but its not, so this one is going to be fitted - overall its not bad at all.

Anyway, we had a good look at the rear section of the van, and luckily the area where the fuel tank sits and the surrounding metal that we need to re use dont look too bad. The inner framework under the bed looks pretty good too. Will know more when its stripped down... but its pretty grim under there:

RETRO RESTORATION
07736 248020
www.retro-resto.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook

Topic Author
mabbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by mabbo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:22 pm

So, we had the rear half of the bus ready to strip down to go to be blasted:

We stripped everything that wasnt reusable and were left with this:

I decided to have a look at the heater pipes under the dash which had been hacked. My customer supplied a replacement but it didnt have the captive nut mounting for the wiper motor:

Modified close enough to factory for this piece:

The dashboard had been hacked too:

Supplied donor section was slightly too short so extended it before welding in place:

Here it is welded in place. I cant find my file to finish the welds at the top and bottom of the vent:

Although the rear bulkhead panel was pretty solid, it was battered. We had a new KF panel to fit so took it apart and the posts were worse than expected. Pretty glad we are replacing it now as we were considering repairing the original:

And placed the new panel to test the fit. Seems to fit really nice, just need to get the seat mounts spot welded onto the panel before its ready to be fitted:

Hoping to get everything blasted next week.
RETRO RESTORATION
07736 248020
www.retro-resto.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook

westwopa

Post by westwopa » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:20 am

Tremendous amount of work and dedication.
Here’s mine after blasting 😁
Attachments
3B6716FC-0CFE-4573-A41A-A2FA3EE4852E.jpeg
DB3121F8-C8DE-4A97-A52B-15E40220E740.jpeg
98A1FFF3-A369-4FE4-B78D-631C1E9EE85E.jpeg