Replacement ignition switch has 3 terminals - old one had 4...

Topic Author
MrMargaretScratcher

Replacement ignition switch has 3 terminals - old one had 4...

Post by MrMargaretScratcher » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi there,

i've got a new ignition switch to replace the old one, but I'm a bit confused as to where this brown wire that was connected to a terminal on the old switch should now go:
Pickup_Ignition.jpg
It's from the same bundle of wires in the loom as the other 3 wires that go to the ignition.

Potentially related, the indicator and headlight flasher relays seem to not be working correctly since swapping the switch - they will flick on and off rapidly before sticking.

clymoj

Re: Replacement ignition switch has 3 terminals - old one had 4...

Post by clymoj » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:02 am

Brown is usually earth. And unusual flashing and constant on/off instead of flashing can be a sign of earthing problems too.

The body of the light switch earths to the dash, so you can swap the spade connector for a ring connector and link it under the screw that holds the switch to the dash, or you can create a link cable with a male spade to take it to an earthing point elsewhere.

A normal ignition switch should have 3 connections (all live) and all earths should go to the body/chassis somewhere but sounds like maybe the indicator earth on your bus has been routed to the ignition switch rather than to the body.

The indicator flasher was originally a metal unit which screwed to a mounting by the fuse box so was earthed to the body that way. But modern ones are plastic and run an earth cable so there’s no ‘official’ place for the earth cable to run to. So maybe that’s what your extra brown wire is?

Hope that helps, I’m no electrician but I spent last weekend under the dashboard with a multimeter and now have lots of flashy lights so hopefully in the right direction :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Author
MrMargaretScratcher

Post by MrMargaretScratcher » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:36 am

Nice, yeah that would make sense, I'll try temporarily earthing it to see if that works, and the ring connection to earth to the ignition switch screw sounds like a good shout.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:06 am

Never seen an ignition switch with four connections. Does it have a part number? VW emblem?
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.