thermostat

Topic Author
frilly

thermostat

Post by frilly » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:48 pm

hi guys , my Mexican appears not to have a thermostat . does this mean I will never get heat in the cab? regards neil

richandsue
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: thermostat

Post by richandsue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:00 pm

the thermostat just controls how quick the engine warms up. mine has it removed and the fan flaps welded fully open. the heat is directed to the front by a turn knob by your left leg on r/h drive buses. opens or closes flaps in your heat exchangers. :cheers:

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:31 pm

richandsue wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:00 pm
the thermostat just controls how quick the engine warms up. mine has it removed and the fan flaps welded fully open. the heat is directed to the front by a turn knob by your left leg on r/h drive buses. opens or closes flaps in your heat exchangers. :cheers:
If the thermostat is missing / flaps welded open or also missing then you also get less airflow through the heat exchangers, as the fan will push the air the easiest route.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
frilly

Post by frilly » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:23 pm

I have the rod linkage and is free moving , viewed from the back , which way is fully open? if that makes any sense ! regards neil

richandsue
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by richandsue » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:12 am

when the thermostat opens it pushes upwards. the flaps will be fully open at this point. :cheers:

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:18 am

The connecting bar at the back of the engine & the flaps should be held open by a spring. If your thermostat is missing, and the fail safe spring isn't fitted as well, you seriously run the risk of cooking the engine.

So the rod coming down through the head must want to spring up / only come down when pulled. If it's not doing that, don't run the engine.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:33 pm

I have a brand new repro spring for sale as well as well as a genuine VW period thermostat. Thermostat is currently on eBay at £45 plus postage and spring is £6 posted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132864477958 ... 1555.l2649

Will do the pair for £47 posted, but you’d better be quick as the thermostat is my last one.

I am a big advocate of the stock cooling system. Fancy shrouds etc may as well be chucked in the bin. Flaps and stats is where it’s at.

Anyone not convinced should read this http://www.vw-resource.com/vanes_thermostat.html

Topic Author
frilly

Post by frilly » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:57 pm

me again , I cant feel or see the thermo rod , can I not just wire open the flaps to get around this problem? regards neil