1959 11 Window Kombi VERY ORIGINAL, VERY DRY AND UNRESTORED BODY.

If you've a bus for sale this is the place for it!
When something has sold please mark it AS *** SOLD ***

Topic Author
eliotc

1959 11 Window Kombi VERY ORIGINAL, VERY DRY AND UNRESTORED BODY.

Post by eliotc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi All.

I may well regret this and I’m doing that I swore I’d never do, sell my bus. But I am looking at another project.

This is a 1959 Type 2 model No. 231. Kombi, Luggage Doors Right, LHD, L345 Light Grey. Originally supplied to Los Angeles, I bought it just over 10 years ago and it came with me to Spain where it’s spent the last 9 years, taking me on weekly trips all over the Iberian Peninsula. It’s now back in the UK in Cheltenham. For many years this was my daily driver, and even when not, it was camping somewhere in Spain or I had it in the garage taking it apart. I’ve done all the work myself, except the tranny rebuild and fitting of the IRS kit.

It’s not a show car by any means and it’s style was exactly what I was looking for when I started on this project. It had been parked up in a barn in LA since 94 and had previously been painted red, so I set about meticulously stripping off the paint – that took me about 2 years :-) What is left is a mix of OG paint, rust inhibitor and still some bits of red and other greys. I would now suggest covering it in lacquer or Anchor Wax, although it didn’t seem so necessary in the dry Andalucian climate. Generally people tell me that it would be a sin to paint it, the wife and most other females generally disagree :-)

What is important however is that this bus is solid and very original – it’s never had any panels replaced. The rockers, belly, floors, and underside are impressively clean and solid. It still bares it’s OG paint underneath, which is covered in a light layer of superficial rust – no underseal covering up repairs. I urge the next owner to not paint the underside – protect it with waxoyl or whatever, but it would be a crime to cover it with underseal. Same with the body. On stripping back the red paint I found some small quantities of filler which I removed – so where there was once filler, there are some minor dents or scrapes, no big deal. Rarely do you find such an honest vehicle that will be 60 next year. You can see what you’re getting and this is exactly what I was aiming for. I’ve had my fingers burnt once before with a shiny classic that erupted in rust bubbles the following winter – never again and not with this bus. I have tried to keep this bus as stock as possible, save for lowering it and the IRS and brake upgrade. No holes have been cut in the body nor the floor/chassis and every little thing purchased for it has generally been a stock 60 year old VW item. The doors are all really impressive, totally rust free and solid. You will probably never see doors so good – they have never been repaired nor welded. I’ve just given the cargo doors 4 coats of primer and I was about to color match them to the rest of the bus. One of it’s OG cargo doors had received a bodged repair job so I replaced it with one from the correct year – high hinge version.

Both “dog legs” (front wheel arches) have had a plate welded in at some point during the buses life. This is a bit strange as the repair was not to the lip where you’d expect rot to settle in. I wouldn’t replace the dog legs, but the plate should be cut out and have another welded in properly that won’t need to be covered by filler as was the case before. This is the only welding done to the bus.

This Bus has a long list of features including:
  • Excellent running, freshly rebuilt single port 1300 motor, new carb, alternator and batteries, SVDA Dizzy. (<2K miles)
    Bears rebuilt and strengthened IRS AM code transmission (ratios changed to suit a bus) with new CV joints (<10K miles)
    CE IRS kit using early Bay drums, hubs, trailing arms etc. (<10K miles)
    Original small nut transaxle and “frame horns” included for those that want to convert it back to OG spec. Functioned perfectly before being removed.
    Freshly rebuilt OG front beam with new steering pin, bushes etc. (8100 miles)
    New Koni red adjustable shocks (8100 miles)
    Freshly rebuilt and flipped OG K&LP Spindles, (8100 miles)
    New CSP drilled front brake discs and calipers, new brake fluid (8100 miles)
    New dual-circuit brake master cylinder (<9000 miles)
    Freshly rebuilt stock steering box (8100 miles)
    Fuel tank removed, cleaned, repainted and refitted (13900 miles)
    VDO Fuel Sender fitted to tank (previously not included, still needs a gauge sourced and fitted, all wiring in place)
    OG Clear Needle KM Speedo rebuilt, repainted etc etc.(shows 22386KM)
    CSP Python stainless steel exhaust system wrapped with DEI thermal wrap (sounds like it will do 200mph – it won’t!!)
    Correct “crows foot” steel rims, powder coated red, fitted with Continental tyres (8100 miles)
    Powder coated off white “slash cut” bumpers. Towel rails removed and holes welded at some point
    12 volt electrics, New main battery, new leisure battery (<2000 miles)
    Zig CF9 Split Charge system with 240v hook up, wiring for fridge. Handful of 12V and 240V sockets fitted to interior
    Old school amplifiers and new Kenwood Bluetooth stero system wired up to CF9 so that you can listen to the music all night and still start the bus in the morning.
    OG commercial hubcaps, not currently fitted. Sand blasted and awaiting paint. VW decals waiting to be fitted.
    Same key for doors and ignition. All door locks and handles rebuilt
    Rock & Roll Bed (Bluebird Customs), mattress covered in grey vinyl
    OG front bench seat
    Stock steering wheel, Scat Drag shifter
    VDO Oil pressure, Oil Temp and Cylinder Head Temp. gauges. Auto Meter Monstertach Tachometer.
    Spreadsheet showing mileage, dates and details of everything I’ve done to this bus
    5cm thick file of receipts
Icepick door handles, church key decklid, 6 pop-outs, OG VW Glass, fat lip doglegs, flat wheel wells are all correct as well. It even includes it’s OG 1959 User manual.

Mechanically this bus is newer than most things on the road. It has covered precisely zero miles since I last changed the oil and adjusted the valves. I’m getting a bit of an air leak around the inlet manifolds which is proving frustrating. This should really be addressed by removing and refitting the manifold, but it’s unlikely that I’ll get the chance to do this before selling the bus.

Since this bus is 1959, it doesn’t require an MOT and road tax is free.

There’s still so much more to say and I’ll happily bore your further if you want to know more. You can call me on 07492649242. I’m reluctant to send photos for the sake of sending photos, if you’re interested, come and see and we’ll take her out – unless it’s raining, she doesn’t like the rain ;-)

I’ve got a load of spares too that I may throw in depending on price, these include a very nice, freshly power coated off white full length roof rack, door handles, engine components, it’s OG steering box (in need of a rebuild) plus much, much more.

I’ll take reasonable offers, I’m starting at 33K GBP.
Attachments
20180707_104052.jpg
20130418_084043.jpg
DSC_0125_zpshb6dmqah.jpg
20150414_202002_zpsfbwhrq9c.jpg
AM Code Box.JPG
OLD_SHITTY_BUS_WITH_BOARD.jpeg
20180505_112758.jpg
20180505_105855.jpg

Robbievanguy

Re: 1959 11 Window Kombi VERY ORIGINAL, VERY DRY AND UNRESTORED BODY.

Post by Robbievanguy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Great ad ,any a lovely bus for a fair price me thinks.

Topic Author
eliotc

Post by eliotc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:45 am

Thank you, Robbie. If this sells, it will completely change my life, because a big part of my life over the last 10 years has been spent either working on this, trawling the net for advice and parts, driving it or sleeping in it etc etc. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about this - It'll be very strange to be bus-less.
Attachments
20180803_205606.jpg
IMG_20160930_195346.jpg

Topic Author
eliotc

Post by eliotc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Does nobody want to make me an offer on my bus? :-)