FFS

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
Redthelmem

FFS

Post by Redthelmem » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Good evening guys

Got my first splitty to match my Ghia but after a few months I’ve got cracks appearing at the bottom of the front windows. I am assuming that there is a seam crack under the paint that hasn’t been soldered up before painting.

Could someone have a peek at the pictures and offer some guidance, I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT SPLITTYS and appreciate any advice

Thanks

Iain
Attachments
C2DE0627-BA2B-4BF4-9EB4-7F8DBD03D651.jpeg
631F8E7B-DA9A-455C-803F-C048D3C3F4A9.jpeg

Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: FFS

Post by Dougie » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:42 am

Has it had a new front panel? It looks like there's a fair bit of filler in there. The seam at the edge of the panel should have sharp corners where yours looks like its had a smear of filler. The flat section under the window should have a sharper corner too. Have a close look at some of the pictures in the Rides and Projects section of the forum and you'll see what I mean.
It looks like the filler has cracked and it has already started to rust.
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:59 am

Yep, as Dougie said. That's been sculptured in filler rather than doing it properly.

It'll need a load of work to sort that out, and as rust is in the seam it'll bleed like that.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SCAT, Kennedy Clutches, CB Performance & FIRETEC. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi Iain,

yes as others have said - you should have a sharp seam here - like these pics nicked off the internet
Note the way the panel is fitted around the wiper spindles - the lower screen panel is separate to the front nose panel - you should see a seam here.
Have you got anymore pics of the bus - its not a converted 'Bay is it?
(not saying it is, but the shape you have in your pics is more rounded like a Bay)

and

BJ1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by BJ1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Is it a Brazilian import by chance? I suspect that whoever did the filler was trying to cover up a lot of bodge and rust. Typical of Brazilian imports but not unknown over here.
1966 Westy in Velvet Green - being restored
1967 Devon from Devon still in Devon
1967 Sundial from Idaho
1971 Westfalia from LA
1971 patina Delux from Montana now living in Germany
1972 Devon now owned by No 1 son!