Dragging clutch eventually fixed

Topic Author
jon parker

Dragging clutch eventually fixed

Post by jon parker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:35 pm

The continuing Clutch saga !
After fitting a new/secondhand flywheel.
The steel tube is fixed, there is a bow of about 1" on the Bowden tube. I have a little free play on the pedal but the clutch still drags. I've taken it out and checked it over, all seems ok. The roller bearing in the flywheel bolt seems to be rotating, the clutch which is fitted the right way around slides along the splines ok. I might try and drive it around the block a few times to see if it frees up...what do you think?
I am stumped !
Shall I get another fly wheel bolt has that ever solved a problem like this? I don't know what else to try.
Last edited by jon parker on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: Dragging clutch think I have checked most things but still it drags ...

Post by Dougie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 pm

A little free play at the pedal ? You need an inch at the pedal.
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Does it drag with the cable disconnected at the gearbox end ? If so it’s not a cable issue.

Could be something in the bellhousing area which is preventing the release bearing going back fully. Slipped spring that holds the release bearing, bearing tube mounting bolt not fully snugged up etc.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Why do you think it's dragging?

What type of clutch is it?
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
jon parker

Post by jon parker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding.
I've tried various amounts of free play...I think you are on the right lines about it not being a cable problem.

To answer VWjim: It's a 200mm standard clutch with centre thrust bearing no tube (1966 1500 SP) depressing the clutch doesn't disengage the gearbox so I can't put the bus in gear (without horrible noise). If I start up in gear clutch pedal down handbrake on, the clutch grips a little and bus creeps forward when brake released, clutch bites more when pedal raised. I've just pulled the engine out again to double check the gland nut I really can't find anything wrong. The clutch disc was fitted recently (more on this below) and still has makers marks on the pads.

The clutch was fitted back in the days when I didn't do my own maint. So I was at the mercy of various "mechanics" some better than others. I've discovered that the guys who fitted the clutch used the wrong thrust bearing which is why I had to sort it out when their bodge started to make strange rumbling noises !

It seems such a simple mechanism, I'd so like to get it adjusted properly. I imagine it's combination of various things. Perhaps it all needs to bed in a bit....I can't think what else to do other than replace everything. Which is probably a waste when I need to buy Tyres !

P.S. I wonder if moving the actuating lever might help, or do they fix onto the shaft at a fixed position ?

rodntod

Post by rodntod » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:55 pm

From what i have speed read :lol: i take it the clutch doesn't fully disengage when depressed,even if you adjust the cable tightly.

If so,your old pressure plate(clutch cover plate) is worn and too weak to fully disengage the friction plate from the flywheel when pedal is depressed,and no amount of adjusting will sort it out.
A new pressure plate and you will be good to go,been there many times with many cars over the years.

Hope this helps

Ed

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 pm

ah... I see what you mean now. I was thinking you meant the clutch was dragging as you released the pedal. Sounds like its actually not separating the engine drive from the gearbox.

You mentioned the wrong release bearing previously fitted. So do you now have a stock gearbox, stock release bearing and stock clutch?

Your release bearing should look like this - https://www.vwheritage.com/111141165a-c ... d-vw-spare
With it fitted to the clutch operating arm - https://www.vwheritage.com/113141701c-c ... t-vw-spare
with two removeable clips - https://www.vwheritage.com/111141177a-c ... p-vw-spare

Is your clutch the spring type? - https://www.vwheritage.com/111198141x-2 ... d-vw-spare
Or the diaphragm type? - https://www.vwheritage.com/ac141020-180 ... e-vw-spare

I suspect you have a diaphragm type without the pad in the middle. When you replaced the release bearing for the correct type, did you also change the pressure plate? Stock / SA release bearings need the pad in the centre. Later / IRS release bearings don't have the centre plate. So, if you replaced the IRS release bearing for the SA release bearing without fitting a centre pad, then the clutch runs out of travel and doesn't fully disengage the clutch.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
jon parker

Post by jon parker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks Jim,
I really don't know how I would manage without your advice. You are right about the release bearing the operating arm and even the clips. It is in fact a spring type clutch. I follow your logic about the potentially missing centre pad but the clutch being the spring type has one.
I'm gradually changing everything. Tomorrow I'll order a Bowden tube, some rubber cable seals and fit a new cable which I have kept as a spare. I don't expect it to solve the problem buy it will eliminate some variables. It has to be something!
Thanks again Good night
Jon

Topic Author
jon parker

Post by jon parker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks Ed
You may well be right. The clutch mech looks relatively new so I've been putting off getting another until I've exhausted all the other possibilities.
Stay in touch. Just so you can say "I told you so !"
goodnight
Jon

Topic Author
jon parker

Post by jon parker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 am

One more thought: I fitted the 1500 sp (beetle) engine years ago to replace the orig 1200 (I now wish I had tried harder to keep it standard!) but have used it fairly successfully like this for years. Oh another idea: The front of the bus had had some crash damage repaired before I got it. It looks like a professional job and straight but I'll take a closer look at the pedal cluster when I fit the new cable

Topic Author
jon parker

Post by jon parker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Fixed !!! Thank you all for your advice. For your interest... I went through it systematically, replacing: bowden tube and clutch activating lever bearings (don't think this was actually necessary but it's all nice and tight now), clutch disc is nearly new, checked and lubricated the clutch mechanism, cable also newish. The thing that made the most difference was getting a mobile welder to tack up up the steel tube so it couldn't move. It turns out that it was yielding under load so I wasn't getting enough force to overcome the clutch plate pressure springs but went back to original position when the pedal was released and I checked underneath. Works as well as ever now.

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:03 pm

Change the title of first post to add SORTED...
So all the readers will read for the solution.. LOL..
Glad you solved!
G
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic Author
jon parker

Post by jon parker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:12 pm

good idea thanks

rodntod

Re: Dragging clutch eventually fixed

Post by rodntod » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Glad you got it sorted Jon.

Ed

e m p i

Re: Dragging clutch eventually fixed

Post by e m p i » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Nice one mate, glad it’s sorted.
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt