Breakdown Provider Recommendations

If it's not about Vans, Dubs, Air-cooled - you guessed it - it goes in here.

Topic Author
yakboy

Breakdown Provider Recommendations

Post by yakboy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:24 am

So I have been with the RAC for 19 years and have had a few breakdowns with my split over the years and have always received good service from them and was awarded black status (some special long service thing). That was until my alternator died on the A1 a few weeks ago (with the family on board and towing my little trailer). From the off the service was appalling from taking 20 minutes on hold (I accept Fridays are busy so at 4pm I expected it but not at 2am). The call centre whilst polite were useless, firstly telling me that my camper wasn't covered and quoting £700 for recovery, then realising I was covered, being unable to locate me on the A1, despite me giving them the waymarker code, when I realised we were in for a long wait my wife and girls got a Taxi to Doncaster and got the train back home. It then took 11 hours to recover me, every time I rang I waited 20 mins to 30 mins on hold, and then to be told that nothing had yet been put in place yet despite assurances on the previous call. Eventually they had to pay for a commercial outfit to come and recover me (who were great). A letter of complaint was sent and I got a standard letter & £25 compensation (which didn't cover a quarter of the fare's my wife paid)..

Sooooo..rant over (sorry I had to get it off my chest)..I understand the RAC was sold to venture capitalists and I think this explains why the service was appaling..I am looking for a new breakdown provider and was wondering of peoples experience of green flag..I know not every breakdown will go smoothly and sometimes you have to give them the benefit of the doubt but the RAC failed on so many levels that don't feel confident in their service.

Stevep
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Breakdown Provider Recommendations

Post by Stevep » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:49 am

Only used the AA once but they were great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:51 am

The AA lied constantly to Jen when they moved her van. And they even left it unattended at a services with the keys with the vehicle. I'm sure the insurance would of loved that!!!

The recovery service supplied by RH Insurance was quite slow too. But nothing on your experience. Most annoying thing was I gave the call centre the postcode of the house I was outside off, but he wanted a road number, so gave him it, but he couldn't find the A5.....!!! Not as if it was tiny country lane.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SCAT, Kennedy Clutches, CB Performance & FIRETEC. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

bowie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by bowie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Interested to see who comes out best here.