Busfest

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

robert.copley1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Busfest

Post by robert.copley1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:58 pm

this may help , I had a hose lock portable shower unit , just fill it with hot water to your taste then pump it up , brilliant , I fabricated a shower curtain off my roof rack , made a wooden slatted Base to stand on , (and now toilet and shower tents are available ) bob just seen on e bay the show unit is about £20

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 am

All this from a cross dresser who wears paper knickers........peek a boo...

Xxxx
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !

robert.copley1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by robert.copley1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:03 am

if Ron asks you if he can pump up your hose lock I wouldn't recommend it and whatever you do don't let him hold your soap
]

Topic Author
Iroc-2
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Iroc-2 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 am

I just think with the amount of money we all paid, which goes up every year it's not unreasonable to have a shower unit. If it comes to paper knickers and wet wipes count me out.

Nigel

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Love it ...just makes me smile....
Time you an I had a beer...
I'll bring my soap bar.....you know the one I mean...two handed..!!
Hope Julie is fine and keeping you on your toes...
Sometimes when you have set the benchmark, the only one you have to beat is yourself !

David Eccles
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by David Eccles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:28 pm

There does seem to be a drift away from big shows in terms of SSVC club camping - but when you tour the camping areas there are loads of them hiding away
seems more people like to be with mates who are often not in Splits?
also get the sense old bus owners are turned off by the huge numbers of T5s (and 4s and 6s) that populate all events these days...
and what happened to all the EB buses on Saturday - only one doka when I was there...
David
Drive your bus; enjoy your bus

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:08 pm

The other thing to remember David is T5 van is a lot cheaper to buy than a Splitty, don't need welding most of the time, there quick, comfy, and reliable and it's another generation driving them....it was never going to stay the same, you've got one, I've got one.
The show itself has not changed its format, its the same every year it's just the people and what they drive, the old days have gone, sad though it is, it's fact...we need to move on to keep the club together, except it, change what we do, ask the members what they would like for the future, find ways to fund it without loosing anymore members.
Perhaps this is a reality check for everyone...
I know Eddy has a few ideas, things we discussed at the Tec weekend but I'll let him put these to the members.
It can be resolved and it will involve change......

busbug

Post by busbug » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:26 am

Hope you don't mind me having my 2 pence worth but i was at busfest but only on a day visit and i am sorry but i thought it was at an arts and craft show that some old cars turned up at more than a vdub show, i know it has evolved over the many years its been going and i do very well remember the first one and most after but i was kinda saddened by the lack of for me old vbuds be it split bay t25 in the show ground itself, i know you can walk around and see all the busses camped and so on but i don't really like just walking unto peoples buses while they are eating lunch or snoozing to have a gander.

Maybe I'm just getting old but i think it is probably time for SSVC to hoist/hold a true to the core air-cooled show that focuses on exactly that air-cooled buses. i would defy pay to be at it n take part in it as I'm sure would many others, i drift in and out of the scene here on the forum as work family and 3 buses and a bug keep me very busy as I'm sure it does everyone but always take a quick gander to see whats happening and skip over to Facebook to check other news and details, i know the list of shows is almost endless over a yearly period and some are amazing but for me busfest has been over saturated with cups t shirts n toys.

Sorry if i sound dismal but i said it a few years back or maybe even last year that i wouldn't go again to busfest but i wanted to try one more time just to prove myself wrong but this year has sealed it for me and i really won't be going again which is sad to say, i like shows like in the old days where people turned up in buses n bugs or whatever and camped and sold all the items they had related to dubs as well as traders but maybe all the parts have run out lol.
I truly love splits/dubs and have been here and around the scene for no less than 25 years but something has been lost in my eyes, i know these are family events and keeping the kids and wives happy is equally as important but i don't go to shows to see one stand of parts lets say then 7 stands of craft then one more stand of panels lol, I'm sure its hard to keep everyone happy but as a species we consume crap 300 days a year that we don't need just to fill a void in life so when at shows i would rather consume rusty old bits of cars if you don't mind with a burger n beer to fill my void lol

Maybe it would be an idea to have zones so like air-cooled water-cooled then arts n crafts 3 miles down the road, everyone love a vdub cup but i don't want one at every show i go too and the same with all the other bits its just way too much In my eyes, if you look at the list of traders its saturated and i paid £20 for it lol ( which was my choice obviously )

i did however bump into some good old pals and talked shop with some great strangers about splits n bays and how things have progressed as well as the insane prices of buses these days so that did warm the old soul but as again for me that was my last busfest sorry.
SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND

FIND AND STICK IT IN YOUR GARAGE FOR A FEW YEARS

Robbievanguy

Post by Robbievanguy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 am

As Bob Dylan once said the times.... We went last year ,and never again ,only did one show this year Blackpool breeze ,instead just did campsites this year most times we were the only bus there ,the problem I have living in Scotland every thing is to far away 5 or six hundred miles round trip for for two nights ,now if there was an air cooled only show in say central Britain say Manchester area run buy the Ssvc some where to sell old parts you the stuff that's been lying in a dark corner ,that some people thinks gona be worth thousands in 10 years time bring you own stuff no tat stalls no live bands just an old fashioned get together,I for one would be there until that happens it campsites for me I'm afraid.

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 am

Is this the beginning of the end for Busfest, I think not, as there is and will be more than enough people and VWs that still love the show and it's content for it to continue, on a smaller scale maybe, who knows, but it's clear, from just the same comments that the trickle is turning into a flood.
I didn't go last year just for those reasons and glad I didn't go this year too, I do know people who went this year who have said that's it, not going again.
Let's see what the committee think is possible and affordable and perhaps we may find a nice farmer out there willing to rent out a field at a cost we can afford.
I've allaways thought the idea of using an old airfield a good one, just a thought..!

David Eccles
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by David Eccles » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:36 am

I also think with old buses being sooo expensive these days that it's a different kind of person now buying them ...
I agree with those who think an aircooled only bus meet is something to think about - but it has to be more than camp in a field to bring in a good mix of people...
Split Bus Nation (Belgium) is only Splits in their cruise and in the show site - totally no profit, organisers are basically an informal group who do it all for love...
Maybe it's time for SSVC to think about a new concept...Brighton Breeze was originally conceived as air cooled event
It all comes down at end of day to cost of putting something on other than camp in a field and having people willing to work like dogs for nowt all weekend ..
So what sort of things would be good to have on and would attract people to an air cooled only event?
lets start a list? For me there has to be some sort of informal show n shine / display of more than just a handful
Dry gathering area with a basic pub type rock band and NOT tribute bands and a bar
David
Drive your bus; enjoy your bus

Max Last
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Max Last » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 pm

My tuppence worth!, Vic Farm/Stanford Hall and Skegvegas are the only ones currently that i’ll do in the Uk, a group of us made a decision about 4-5 years ago that the majority of uk shows simply aren’t giving us what we want, which is space to camp, a camp fire to sit around listening to our tunes (background noise volume, not mental stuff) and to be left alone, if we feel like attending a bar of an entertainment tent we will, but its really not essential.
Euro shows have a much better vibe plus you get a road trip.
If the was a poll, i’d vote for another vic farm campout on busfest weekend.
Although this year we branched out and did the Aircooled Campout, a brilliant back to basics set up, didn’t see many of the facebook grumblers turn up there!
Bothering the blinkered since 1969.

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:45 pm

I think it needs to be aircooled focused. Would love to see some bugs, Type 3’s even 356, early 911s etc in the mix.

There’s only so many variations on a split theme and it’s the fact that the engine is relatively unique that sets the VW apart from the norm.

Topic Author
Iroc-2
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Iroc-2 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi,

I only wanted a shower. I quite like Busfest it's one of the last camp outs we do before the cold wet days set in. SSVC field was I think one of the best kept secrets of the show, are own little oasis,plenty of room and just far enough away from the maddening crowd. We tend to stay around are fire pit
but if we want to walk around the show and night life, it's only a short walk away.
Should we support the members or the split screens. I have a mate who would love to own a split screen but can't quite afford it. He is a member of the SSVC.

Nigel

Rocket Ron
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rocket Ron » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:57 pm

By supporting the SSCV club, your helping to fill the void as people walk away, I don't own one but I'm included and accepted along with all the rest, you don't have to own one as many are in the same boat as your friend.
Drive what you can afford but join the club and who knows what might come your way, the club needs new members, new blood, new ideas and fresh faces.
Get your friend interested Nigel...

Rocket Ron