One for the ICE experts...

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

One for the ICE experts...

Post by JonnyCJ » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:32 pm

I have a Blaupunkt period radio which has been converted to a modern radio with built in 45w amp. If has iPod input through a mini jack.

This then goes from a speaker out to a speaker to RCA converter and then to an Alpine amp which has RCA inputs. Effectively my iPod goes from mini jack output, through an amplifier in the radio, to another amplifier.

I find that when I connect the iPod to the Alpine amplifier directly using a mini jack to RCA lead, I get a better sound quality, although unamplified at the point it enters the Alpine amp.

Hope you’re with me so far !

What I would like to do is have the ability to connect my iPod to the Alpine amp, whilst still having the Blaupunkt radio connected to the Alpine amp.

Is there such a thing as a dual RCA into single RCA splitter ? I’d need four inputs going into two (2 channel)

If anyone is clever enough to work that out have a beer on me !

Cheers

Jonny

clymoj

Re: One for the ICE experts...

Post by clymoj » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 am

There is exactly that, an RCA Y-splitter, available either as a solid connector or as a pigtail cable.

Whichever type you choose you’ll need one for each channel.

The purists will say you need a proper switch which are also available - they properly select one pair of inputs at a time and isolate the other so you don’t get any interference or bleed.

In reality the pair of Y-splitters did the job for me, you just have to remember to have one thing completely off if the other thing is what you’re listening to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clymoj

Post by clymoj » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 am

Here’s a nice thread discussing the principles of why you can’t do what I’m suggesting:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussio ... -combiners

I have not had any problems using splitters as combiners but it’s up to you, if you want to be in the safe side then a proper switcher or the DIY thing with resistors in that thread might be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Author
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Smashing - thanks Jon !