Rear drum oil leak...then it stopped.

Topic Author
thestoneroses
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Rear drum oil leak...then it stopped.

Post by thestoneroses » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:16 pm

my o/s RGB has always been the bane of my bus life. changed seals, gaskets, ensured drain hole clear, assembled with gasket sealant, assembled without....more times than I care to remember, tried everything, but still leaks a little oil into the drum from time to time. Get through more shoes than I care for. Never had a problem on the n/s.

Recently I put a new 'german quality' seal kit in, in fairness much better quality than the usual junk, and had no further probs for a couple of weeks. Thought that was finally it. But.....

Last Weds, topped up gearbox oil and set of for Spa. Very hot run down the E40 etc., on the Thursday, arrived at campsite, noticed oil spray around my o/s wheel. Stood overnight, has some oil puddling in the wheel rim. Took drum off, cleaned up what I could in readiness for getting some new shoes at Spa. Torqued up castle nut to 217, which is normally how I leave it, split pin holes lined up etc. But for whatever reason, thought I'd give it a bit more and found I could torque it further round to next pin alignment hole. After which no more oil seepage at all, including long Belgian motorway runs back home in v hot weather. Been standing since, no leak at all

So to my question: does the torquing of the rear drum contribute to tight oil seal anywhere ? I'm not aware that it should, but it would explain these shenaningans.

I also need to check my torque wrench is properly calibrated, i have my suspicion it may not be.

cheers,
Gareth

I can feel the earth begin to move, I hear my needle hit the groove, and spiral through another day.

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: Rear drum oil leak...then it stopped.

Post by vwJim » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Yes there are o-rings etc to compress so under done hub nuts leak.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.