Splitscreen Single Cab Fuel Pump

Topic Author
Bear03

Splitscreen Single Cab Fuel Pump

Post by Bear03 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:06 pm

Wondered if anyone could give me some advice and perhaps some photos of an electrical fuel pump set up on a splitscreen single cab.

I am running a standard 1600 twin port engine with twin solex carbs. This currently has a facet type cube fuel pump located in the engine bay connected by flexible fuel hose through the rear tin ware with a plastic fuel filter beneath the cab.

I am looking at replacing the fuel pump with a huco low pressure fuel pump fitted in the engine bay and replacing the fuel pipe with solid piping through the tinware. I was also going to fit a huco safety relay for added protection and potentially an inertia switch.

Has anybody used these huco pumps on the engine bay or is it a no no? Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the fuel pump and safety relay?

In addition if anyone has any pictures of the fuel pipe route from petrol tank to engine bay on a single cab this would be greatly appreciated as the current arrangement is a bit torturous and doesn’t look right but I cannot find any information on the fuel pipe route for a 1957 SC.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Matt

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Re: Splitscreen Single Cab Fuel Pump

Post by vwJim » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:34 pm

Why not just fit a mechanical pump? Much quieter than what you have now.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SCAT, Kennedy Clutches, CB Performance & FIRETEC. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Topic Author
Bear03

Post by Bear03 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 am

I know but already had an electronic pump so just wanted to stick with to get back on the road.

Topic Author
Bear03

Post by Bear03 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:26 am

I know but already had an electronic pump so just wanted to stick with to get back on the road.

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 am

I'm with Jim. I'd put a mechanical pump back in, but use an original pump rebuilt with Wolfburg West's new diaphragm unit so it puts out the right pressure. My experience with aftermarket pumps and rebuild kits is that they all result in hugely excessive fuel pressure, carb flooding and petrol in the oil.

Anyhow, that said, the route for the fuel pipe is...

A short length of flexible fuel hose about 9 inches long connects to the tank outlet on the right hand side under the treasure chest and runs to the left (looking forward).

That short line connects to a long hard line that is fixed (welded) to the underside of the truck. The flexible hose is a tight fit. Mine has an 'S' curve to it.

That long fixed hard line runs rearward across the underside of the vehicle to the left (looking forward) and terminates over the left hand axle tube where it connects to another length of flexible line.

You need long arms to make that connection to that second flexible line, but if you're used to the location of the the '4th bolt' (top left engine bolt when you're looking forward), the end of the fixed hard line to which it connects is pretty much directly forward of that bolt on the underside of the vehicle. That flexible line is the one that you disconnect when you pull the engine.

That flexible line then connects to the hard line from the engine which projects forward through the rear tin, which is where it all becomes the same as a bus or van's fuel plumbing.

I'll try and put some pics up tonight.

Edited to correct my lefts and rights.

Topic Author
Bear03

Post by Bear03 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks gents, pictures would be greatly appreciated. Looks like it would be preferable to go mechanical. I am guessing this would provide sufficient flow and pressure for twin solex carbs on a 1600 twin port?

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Sorry for the delay. Pictures of the fuel pipework route below.

The yellow arrows highlight the metal pipe that is fixed to the truck with welded tabs. The horizontal orange arrows point to the front of the vehicle to help orientate the images.

From fuel outlet (mine has a tap) to the fixed pipe. The fixed pipe runs rearward and across the vehicle to the opposite side over the torsion tube....
Fuelpipe1.jpg
How it passes over the rear torsion tube. It's visible between the rear engine mounting horn and the transmission nosecone..
fuelpipe3.jpg
The pipe runs back over the wheel well, where a short flexible pipe connects it to the metal fuel pipe from the engine...
Fuelpipe5.jpg