Indicator relay help needed?

Topic Author
tim.swiggers

Indicator relay help needed?

Post by tim.swiggers » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Hello all,

I’m the proud owner of a 1960 EZ camper. All things nice, except for the indicators. By the previous owner the bus was converted to 12v, but the indicator relay was left for the original 6v. It worked, but the speed of indicators was not how it supposed to be, so I wanted to change the relay for a new 12v one, also 3 connections. Already tried 4, two of them brand new febi ones, to no luck. With the old 6v relay everything works, but the little light in the dash doesn’t light up. With the new 12 relay, nothing works except the light in the dash, and sometimes a little buzzing noice from the relay, but no indicators coming on..
I don’t know where to look anymore, who has the solving answer?
Also, the original 6v relay is supposed to be grounded by its metal body, but the relay is just hanging there, not attached to anything, just held by the wires...

Topic Author
tim.swiggers

Re: Indicator relay help needed?

Post by tim.swiggers » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:00 am

As a quick fix I took a wire from the relay body to the car body, so it’s already grounded. The wires are to short to attach the relay to the body as supposed to be. Need to look into this as well. But it didn’t change anything and is only temporary, still want to solve the issue why the 12v relay doesn’t work. Anybody have any suggestions?

jon parker

Post by jon parker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm having trouble with this too. VWJim (Jim Merrin) has some really useful wiring diagrams. I've read up loads but nothing I have tried has worked. It seems to be something to do with a voltage feed to the relay: not the Live but some sort of balancing feed. It all seems remarkably complex for a DC relay switch. I can either have speedo indicator working or the indicators not both! I'm clutching at straws I know, but I'm wondering if it's something obscure like the wrong wattage bulb in the speedo. I drove for one journey in blissful ignorance wondering why I was getting so many dirty looks !

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:00 am

How many wires on the indicator switch and how many pins on the relay? There are different switches for different years and more than one type of 12V relay option.