belt line trim piece wanted

Topic Author
gerald2613

belt line trim piece wanted

Post by gerald2613 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:12 pm

hy all on forum ,i have a used belt line trim for my split, but the small piece is missing from the door pillar ,has anyone got one please or point me in the right direction many thanks

rodntod

Re: belt line trim piece wanted

Post by rodntod » Tue May 01, 2018 7:46 pm

I've just fitted a full set of new trim to a customers van,and i have a couple of small cut pieces.If you would like one to make a pillar section from ,you are welcome to it.

Ed

Topic Author
gerald2613

Post by gerald2613 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:35 am

ahh thanks ed appreciate that just tell me how much posted , many thanks and any tips how best to fit the trim, bit apprehensive to be honest. prob be ok once ive straightened them out lol cheers

rodntod

Post by rodntod » Wed May 02, 2018 10:58 pm

No problem Gerald ,you are welcome.Just pm me your address and I'll get it off to you.No charge,just happy to help a fellow splitty owner

Best advice i can give is to start with the tailgate,get it nice and level and set the sides up from that.Make the paint safe by using 2 inch masking tape to cover the area and more where the trim lays.Get a hand to hold in place while you mark onto the masking tape through the holes in the trim.Then it's drilling time.Takes a bit of teasing and tweaking ,but worth the effort.
Remember and countersink the holes in the trim,or the screw heads will show through the insert.

Ed

Topic Author
gerald2613

Post by gerald2613 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:49 pm

just spotted your reply ed many thanks for tips my add is gedd jerome 33 osborne road blackpool lancs fy41hq. start at the tailgate,? it dont go in middle does it ed, i tried holding the pass side door trim up, where it fits on the hinge and its about 3/4 inch from the bottom that about right ed ??? thanks for helpin me ,,if ever your up gay capital of the north lol gis a shout and you can park on my front,,,and visit the local .... shops ha ha ha

rodntod

Post by rodntod » Mon May 07, 2018 7:53 pm

I'll get it posted off Gedd. It's not exactly in the middle,just where it sits best on the curve.Once you find the best spot,strike a line along both sides of the van and line your tailgate trim piece up with both lines.Once levelled out you can work your way along the sides.

Topic Author
gerald2613

Post by gerald2613 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:00 am

cheers ed ill follow them tips mate cheers

JonnyCJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by JonnyCJ » Thu May 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Also look at Creative Engineering’s website. They supply the best trim and have great instructions

Topic Author
gerald2613

Post by gerald2613 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:44 am

cheers johny just been looking at that cheers

ernie

Post by ernie » Sat May 12, 2018 9:37 am

Hi Gerald,

Which kit do you have mate?

I have fitted a couple of the Creative ones.

Cheers,
Ade

Topic Author
gerald2613

Post by gerald2613 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:07 am

hy ade ,,just spotted this reply doh, dont know which kit tbh bought it second hand and i have been buffing it up for ages,,long job, on one of the front v section , is stamped 23 that for a samba ?? just bit worried around corners ,any special tips mate

ernie

Post by ernie » Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Hey matey,

I have fitted a couple of creative ones - the first wasn't a brilliant fit around the rear corners, but I gave them some feedback & the next set I bought a few years later was a lot better.

We started at the door mirrors then worked our way backwards on each side - If you slot the trim up underneath the mirror, that should set the height of the trim, but yes, about 3/4 inch from the bottom sounds about right. The only bits that needed a bit of 'massaging' were the front panel pieces & the rear corners. take your time and bend them a little bit at a time over something that has roughly the same profile as the bit you are working on - for example, we used a paint tin for the rear quarters as it had roughly the same radius as the bus. We had to work the front pieces a bit for both 'bend' and 'twist', but like I say if you take your time & do a bit at a time it should fit fine.

Do the tailgate piece last, as you can do the rear corners to match up with the sides, then the tailgate piece to line up with the rear of the corner pieces, so if the corners aren;t exactly the right curve (I mean the 'up/down' curve rather than the curve around the rear corner) at least the tailgate trim will line up with the rear corners & it won't be too noticeable.

We also countersunk the holes for the fixing screws a bit more as there was initially a bit of a 'bulge' in the coloured infill where the screws were located.

Finally, where the 2 pieces meet at the front (the 'V'), we cut the infill in small mitered pieces rather than just had a single piece each side meeting at the middle of the 'V' as we found this stopped the infill keep popping out, like it did when we tried to do it in one piece each side (hardly noticeable if you keep it neat).

I did it with the father-in-law, who's a coach-builder & bit anal & takes 3 times linger to do a job than I would do, but the finished job is always spot-on.

Hope that helps mate.

cheers,
Ade

Topic Author
gerald2613

Post by gerald2613 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:18 pm

cheers for that ade, really helped, struggled a bit round rear corners but perseverance paid off ,looks ok ish , few like you say bit of a bulge where screw were nut happy with the result ,,just waithing for the end trims pieces to stick in , and i am missing that small piece of beltline trim on the pillar, cheers matey