AutoLinea heads. Different combustion chamber cc's

Robbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

AutoLinea heads. Different combustion chamber cc's

Post by Robbo »

Hi all, I bought some cylinder heads from a large VW parts supplier (who have been really good I have to say) And have had some quality issues. The heads are G01 AutoLinea jobs and so far all 4 of them have gone back to the supplier.
The first had a crack on the fins, which wasnt a production issue, looks like It was dropped at some stage so that went back, the other 3 all had one combustion chamber of 54cc, (which matches the 'good' head that has both chambers at 54cc), however, the other combustion chamber was at least 3cc's either too small or in one case 2cc's too big. I am getting tired of cc'ing damn heads and lapping in valves as they all have leaky valves from new.
Am I being too picky here?
They are going on a stock 1600TP with 36 dells and VS exhaust.

My thoughts are if one combustion chamber has a different cubic capacity, the compression on that cylinder will be more (or less) than the others and therefore will work harder (or less hard) than the others cylinders or will this not make much difference on a 60-70hp motor?

I'm getting rather annoyed, has anyone had issues or do people not cc heads and just bung them on?

Cheers

Rob

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: AutoLinea heads. Different combustion chamber cc's

Post by Who.Me? »

Don't know about checking the volume, but I think AutoLinea heads in general are pretty poor quality. The G01 heads on my 1600 dual port were (are) pretty shoddy castings. When I had the tinware off, I had to drill out loads of flashing between the fins. Some of it was really thick. It wasn't just poor preparation after casting, the moulds themselves must be crap. Took me ages to drill out the passage that the thermostat rod should pass through. It was so clogged that I didn't realise there was supposed to be a passage there at first.

Robbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Robbo »

Yeah, i need to do some tidying to get rid of the mass of excess material. Should I just take them both back and cough up for better heads? I don't need race stuff, just German quality (if that still exists!) will do. What about EMPI heads, anyone used them?

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim »

If the valve seating & CC volume quality is poor, I wouldn't have much faith that the other tolerances are any good either, like valve guide install etc.
I'd probably not use them.
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

Robbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Robbo »

Thanks Jim, what would be best to use then or have the old ones rebuilt?

lapisb

Post by lapisb »

I thought auto linea were the nuts, cb performance and other big names seem to use their castings extensively :?

Robbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Robbo »

Perhaps it's a crappy batch, but all that i had (5 heads) have so much flashing on them and 4 have issues with the combustion chambers and leaky valves. Perhaps if some machining was done but out of the box very poor.

Robbo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Robbo »

Ok, so as the wise old Elf Jim was aluding to, I chopped these auto linear heads back in and moved up one degree of quality and got the stock ish Chinese EMPI ones. So far they look good, hardly any flashing and the combustion chambers are all within tolerances so I'm happy. One question, when attaching the exhaust and inlet manifold studs, do I use a Loctite on the threads to stop them coming out? If so which ones and do I use the same on the rocker assembly studs?