Things you do for love "her" 1966 bus

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
ArAKern

Re: Things you do for love "her" 1966 bus

Post by ArAKern » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:54 pm

weather was not contusive for working on the bus and the repair panels have not arrived yet :( so went shopping.
Picked up a selection of roloc disks the 36grit seems to stall the grinder very easily. but the others grades work well.

Had a look at the next area to deal with.
This whole area has been patched badly multiple times, still trying to decide if I should bin the new dogleg because it has been poorly fitted so I can access the lower B post area and cut out all the patches and put in a single piece.

This is how I think the area above the dogleg should look but what about the section just below?
checked the usual threads of knowledge but can only see outside shots of the area :?

jayvanman

Post by jayvanman » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:08 am

ArAKern wrote:The original wheel arches/seat mounting panels were cut out of the bus by the previous owner when he planned to slam it but fortunately they are in the spares pile. They need some/a lot of work the lower sections are shot and along with the seatbelt anchor area, did think about replacing them but opted for just buying the repair panels hopefully they will arrive by the weekend.

one question I have is what is wrong here :?: why does the panel overhang the dogleg lip by about 10mm...
can the dogleg be adjusted? or do I need to cut it out and replace it? (the leg has been butchered cut in several places and re-welded etc)
Also what the is recommendation for fixing back the inner edge the one that is folded over the tool box section. The original fold is still there they were just cut out vertically. seam weld it back in from underneath?
ImageImage

I think the 10mm overhang your talking about is where the door seal (foam) is pushed into.

Keep up the great work. I'm watching with interest.

Jason
he who sins grins

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi Giles,
Good to meet you both today, hope the drive Val was ok :) As said above the lip is where the door rubber slots into.
Many thanks for the roof rib, paying it forward I what it's all about :cheers: and what makes this forum and the people on it so great.
If you need any more pics or any other measurements just give me a shout and I'll see what I can do. If you're passing again you're more than welcome to pop in for for a coffee or to take any pics or measurements you need.
The rate you're going we expect to be cruising to Devon with you both later in the year for a camp out and a surf :cool:
In the mean time hope the weather warms up a bit for you and keep plodding through it and you'll soon be done with the cutting and it'll just be the welding, then onto looking paint colours :)
I'll let you know how I get on with the roof when I've worked out how best to do it :lol:

Speak to you soon mate,
Cheers, Lee
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

Topic Author
ArAKern

Post by ArAKern » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:39 pm

I am nearly to ashamed to resurrect this thread but as the resto police did not find me here goes...
In my defence I did finish a project of my own :wink:
Side.jpg
Kit Car front.jpg
Kit Car front.jpg (43.09 KiB) Viewed 47 times
But you are not here for that.
As the kit Car is tucked up for the winter, we have gained some more space to move the camper further into the tunnel and now we are able to walk round it. :cheers:
So first order was to get the rear rollover jig finished so dropped the gearbox and axle. In hindsight should have fitted the horizontal brace first then the vertical would have allowed me to use 4 bolts on where it attaches to the torsion bar tube but it is not going anywhere.
rear frame.jpg
To motivate myself decided to weld something to the van rather than cut thing's off. So in with the front cross member I made a while ago
Front X-member.jpg
Then added some tabs and brackets
tabs.jpg
bracket.jpg

Topic Author
ArAKern

Post by ArAKern » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Honestly we did lot's of work on the tool box area this week but as I cannot find the pictures it did not happen.

This area was showing signs of a poor patch job after picking off the plate in front of the top hat section found some large wholes that had just been over patched.
Front Top Hat.jpg

Could not understand they went to the effort of replacing the cross section why not do the top hat also?
quickly realised that to get to the top hat you would have had to remove the bulkhead and some of the floor, as only the front face was shot decided to patched the top hat and then tried to recreate the lower bulkhead section.
Front top hat 2.jpg
Not my best welding but nobody is going to notice after a seam seal and epoxy.

Such great timing I decide to start work on the camper just as the weather turns.
It is no fun lying in the cold damp dirt trying to weld above your head.

Will try and brave the elements at the weekend.

markp
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by markp » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Looking FABULOUS :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mark p

viewtopic.php?f=8&p=598598#p598598

If you're going to dive in then make sure it's the deep end ! SIMPLES :D

Topic Author
ArAKern

Post by ArAKern » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks Mark
I think my kit car looks fabulous to :D

First time spraying anything, A few YouTube lessons and in at the deep end with 2k metallic basecoat and clear coat. That is an off the gun finish not even a cut and polish. :cheers: