Errol, the '56 Single Cab

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
frilly

Re: Errol, the '56 Single Cab

Post by frilly »

wonderful thread ive also a 56 but not nearly as nice , may I ask where you got the rear bumper from ? regards neil

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? »

frilly wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 pm
wonderful thread ive also a 56 but not nearly as nice , may I ask where you got the rear bumper from ? regards neil
Thanks. The truck was complete when I got it. The bumper appears to be original.

At some point it may have been an abandoned project after the body was repainted. The bumpers look to have been over-painted with epoxy primer, but not finished (not colour matched to the body). The front bullet indicator housings were also refitted, but not painted.

One day I'll get to those jobs.

frilly

Post by frilly »

you need to make a fibreglass mould of that rear bumper , nearly all trucks are missing them . could make you a bob or two !

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? »

Haven't updated this for almost a year, so I figured I'd add something for the record.

The engine is out, completely stripped down and the case and crank are off for machining at the VW Engine Company.

It never ran right. It had all the symptoms of valve overlap, but it was a P.O.S and clearly no one had spent any money on it, so it couldn't have a performance cam in it, right? I'd convinced (deluded?) myself that was the case and had concentrated on the fuel and electrical systems to try to cure the lazy starting, rough idle and timing issues, but it turns out I was wrong.

In the course of stripping it down I found that the pistons and cylinders were scuffed and all the bearings were pretty scored, most likely due to dirty oil. The crank is scratched up too. This thing didn't even have an air filter element in it when I got it and god knows how long it had been run like that.

With the cheap, broken tinware and other rubbish aftemarket parts it was clear that it hadn't been looked after.

Strangely though, whoever built it decided to fit an Engle W110 performance cam. That, coupled with a single carb and standard heads and rockers probably explains the issues that I'd been having.

So now the fun part. Rebilding it to stock. Hopefully easy to maintain and predictable.

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? »

Bloody hell. Eight months???!!!
105275242_10158660042928573_5471274103231647091_o-001.jpg
It lives again... https://youtu.be/Ok_qoj742r0

This has been an utter ******* and has cost a fortune in parts. All just to undo the previous builder's error and get it back to a stable running, stock configuration.

Cam burn done. Tune up done. Clutch on.

Next jobs - engine back in then ring break in runs. Hopefully it won't blow up.

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f »

More more more
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? »

Oh yeah. Forgot to update this. First run on Sunday with the rebuilt engine...

https://youtu.be/kwhMwPePh4Q

Put 12 miles on it around town and down the dual carriageway to seat the rings.

Eight months :roll: