my 1776cc build

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
caveman
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: my 1776cc build

Post by caveman » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:54 pm

thanks for all your compliments the only real reason i built an engine was that i got stung by 2 seperate pro's whose engines didnt last at all.

so i decided to replace the Ht leads with new uprated ones as the Bosch leads i had were cranked at the dizzy end and kept working loose and one of them developed a high resistance causing a misfire.
i decided after talking to a few people to go fir 8mm taylor super thunder leads and new bosch plugs. ill fit this weekend and update cheers

purists hate it - normal people smile !!!!

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:28 pm

Don't want to wee on your chips dude but have a read of this
viewtopic.php?t=55239
Knew I'd read somewhere about Taylor leads. Be interesting to see how you get on because I've often thought about splashing out on a set rather than the el-cheapo budget ones I've alway run. On my bug leads on the King lead was some weird barrel thing that I guess was to stop interference. Well one day I was out and about and it broke and the lead fell in half. Thing was, I'd taken the spare set out and chucked them in the bus and didn't even have any gaffa tape or anything :roll: Managed to peel a bit of mankey tape off the underside of the dash and stick it together with that and bingo! Fired up easy :cheers: I'm pleased to say I drove it like that for another month before I got a chance to put the new leads on :oops: That's why I wonder if these all singing all dancing leads make much difference?
Speak to ya soon bud 8)
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

readyboy61
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by readyboy61 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:18 am

e m p i wrote:Don't want to wee on your chips dude but have a read of this
viewtopic.php?t=55239
Knew I'd read somewhere about Taylor leads. Be interesting to see how you get on because I've often thought about splashing out on a set rather than the el-cheapo budget ones I've alway run. On my bug leads on the King lead was some weird barrel thing that I guess was to stop interference. Well one day I was out and about and it broke and the lead fell in half. Thing was, I'd taken the spare set out and chucked them in the bus and didn't even have any gaffa tape or anything :roll: Managed to peel a bit of mankey tape off the underside of the dash and stick it together with that and bingo! Fired up easy :cheers: I'm pleased to say I drove it like that for another month before I got a chance to put the new leads on :oops: That's why I wonder if these all singing all dancing leads make much difference?
Speak to ya soon bud 8)
Interesting, I run Taylor leads and have done for years, same set no problems. I have no interference on the stereo either, reason you ask? It often comes down to the fact people are not installing the stereo and amp equipment properly.
You are supposed to run the power for amps and stereo as far away as possible from speaker wires and RCA leads and have as short as possible ground leads. Poor grounding, power lines too close to the audio wiring, or a "ground loop” all cause interference.
Car radio noise suppressors are available for a reason and fitted to modern cars due to such large amounts of wiring these days and also available for the aftermarket as it’s not always possible to run wires where you want.
Fixing VWs in my sleep, im not the only one right?

Topic Author
caveman
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by caveman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:27 pm

Hmm well I will have to try them and see if they cause a problem, my stereo runs from the leisure battery so maybe that will help?

readyboy61
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by readyboy61 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:07 pm

Same here, don't worry they will be fine , mine are
Fixing VWs in my sleep, im not the only one right?

Topic Author
caveman
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by caveman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:11 pm

right so today was a simple fit of the parts id bought and run up..................................

so taylor leads fitted and my seem ok,

new bosch plugs re - gapped ( they were all a random size so not "gapped from factory as said")

new oil pressure switch fitted as id borrowed my friends

all good so to the run up!

she fired up straight away and didn't really want to idle!

it was running on three cylinders!!!!! bloody thing! it wasn't firing on cyinder 1

so we checked

spark at number one - brilliant - good fat spark leading us to think that the HT lead was good ( why did I buy new leads and plugs?????)

that the tappets were ok - fine

that the compression was still good, - still great pressure!

that the distributer was good - exchanged for a different one - all good!!

( we are getting frustrated here )

that the manifold on that side didn't have any physical blockages - none,

right so cuppa tea and chill out ( who am I kidding I'm fuming!!)

check that the rocker gear is rotating and opening and closing the vales correctly - all good!!!

FOR .... SAKE!!!

we then re checked our checking - all good

soo we packed up and left it for the day

rga

Topic Author
caveman
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by caveman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:15 pm

then my engine building guru ady rang me he has been doing some research and has found out that Kadron carbs don't really like certain camshafts and that they can struggle to fire on cylinders one and three, its all to do with the duration of the cam and the intake of the cylinder interacting causing a problem at idle.

this is a BIG problem , I CANT AFORD new carbs, so we are going to try reducing the venture size to speed up the air speed from the carbs to hopefully get a suitable idle

( btw when the engine runs well it sounds awesome so there is hope! - I hope lol)

paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by paul_f » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:15 am

Are you running a balance pipe between the two manifolds? That can sort out bad idling on kadrons as they were designed to have one

Topic Author
caveman
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by caveman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:22 pm

yeah we have one installed I have been told that the 30 mm venture that was sent as part of the " specaially designed carb parts to fit you engine spec" are too big and that they need to be put back to the 28 mms that were originally on the engine lol

Topic Author
caveman
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by caveman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:38 am

so i have been running the engine for a while now and I really like it, you van tell that it has been balanced as its soo much smoother than a stock engine and this really makes a difference in the driving style. with a lovely sound when revving the engine .
I still cant get it to idle correctly on all four cylinders and have been told by several experts that that is due to the cam choice and the carb choice interacting. tbh as soon as you rev it a tiny bit all 4 cylinders come in so I have been told to ignore it and that's what I plan to do. I have checked and triple checked things like air leakage etc and I have none so I will just believe the experts.

I was running the engine without the thermostat and cooler to start with as most people have said that the 1776 shouldn't need a bigger cooler and tbh it hasn't. but I thought that id add it as the engine was getting a tad warmer than id like. I also adjusted the tappets at that point.

after the engine warmed up the oil light came on !!! I was devastated! what the hell was happening? I was on my way to a event so I turned around and whipped off the thermostat and cooler and just left it as it was before, suffice to say that the oil light disappeared and all was well. I can only think that the flow rate through the thermostat is too low causing low oil pressure.
but the running warm disappeared so it just needed the tappets adjusted! lol

hey ho you live and learn.

Topic Author
caveman
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by caveman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 am

So I thought I'd post an update, the engine has been in for a while now and is run in, I really like that it has been dynamicaly balenced it feels alot smoother than most other vw engines I've driven. I've now put a vintage speed exhaust on after a brief spell with an a1 sidewinder that the gf said was too loud and wanted heating (so did I tbh)
I've also upped the gear ratio by going from 195 55 16 tyres to 195 60 15s and that along with the freeway flyer and reduction boxes (I live in Cornwall and we have lots of hills) has made him a very drivable bus. So I'm really happy with the build.

Thunderbroom

Post by Thunderbroom » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:44 am

Good thread..... a pic of the finished installation would tidy this up? Oh and the new paint job after the repair.😊
If a wall looks like a door, attach new hinges to it so you can use it.