ultimate wheels on history channel

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
amd

ultimate wheels on history channel

Post by amd » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:50 pm

I went to London motor museum last year

I spotted this in the workshop & was told it was part of a t.v series that had just finished filming

This was as far as I was allowed with a camera :( but was allowed a quike sneek peek inside, :D ,looked good for chilling in, but the guy I spoke to would not give me any details of what they did to it. I'll just have to watch.

ScottyN
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: ultimate wheels on history channel

Post by ScottyN » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Just searched for it!

9pm on 1st May - titled "Private jet camper van"

Sounds intriguing!!

Muzman

Post by Muzman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 pm

On eBay

tman
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by tman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Link to auction - I was hoping it had a jet engine!

Some it sounds like a Mike Brewer special... "over £6000 spent on heritage parts alone":
Please only bid if you are serious as it is frustrating when people do not complete a deal. £200 disposit will be required within 24hrs of auction closing.

For sale is my 1966 LHD panel Van. Created for the TV programme Ultimate Wheels and has sat in a museum for many years until I purchased it.

Alas commitments have stopped me from enjoying it so time to let someone else enjoy it.

The programme did it as a private jet idea with drop down steps with 3 TV’s in the back and Ferrari seats.

It is tax and mot exempt. Runs and drives. I have been doing some bits on her and comes with some parts to complete others which are all cosmetic. All chrome work has been dipped to look like wood grain

I suggest you come and look at her or call me on 07775697018 to discuss if you are serious.

I have a copy of the TV programme that I can give the buyer. This is an unusual Splitscreen that you can enjoy over the next couple of months and perhaps tinker over the winter to finish some jobs.

Only current fault is one tv does not come on.

Conversion to European lights have been done. Safari front windows. Single key for all door locks and ignition. Original emergency flasher (hazards) switch correct for 1966

1966 VW Split Screen panel van

This left hand drive mid 60’s VW van has been part of a museum exhibition since 2014 and featured in a TV series around the same year. During the TV programme it was auction and reached £23500, but did not meet the reserve, that was 4 years ago and the value of Splitscreens keeps going up. Originally being imported from the U.S, in 2013 the van went through quite an extensive restoration, which included some levels of customization to resemble what was then described as a first class jet plane cabin. This includes, fully illuminated drop down ramps on the nearside, 3 integrated TV sets, IPOD connection, mini bar fridge, printer, Ferrari F430 seats which electronically adjust, stereo system and built in wine racks. The work at that time is believed to have cost the owner £30,000 with over £6000 spent on heritage parts alone. The van is UK registered with a correct UK registration WAE95D.

Bodywork

The van has been painted in a satin finish, which I guess suits the style, and apart from some isolated tarnish and minor corrosion, generally the body is in excellent condition for a 52 year old van. The underside looks very solid and there doesnt appear to be any major issues. The doors all operate as they should and the panels seem solid. The van also has a full-length roof rack and there are custom spot lights fitted to the front panel.

Interior.

As previously described, the interior had been heavily customised in wood and benefits from a whole host of electronic devices, mini bar, printer and fabulous Ferrari F430 seats. Some of the work could do with improving or you could remove and put the van back to stock. The front seats have been re-trimmed and are in good condition.

Mechanicals

It does start without any problems, the engines appears to run smoothly and the gearbox operates correctly. The van is MOT exempted and was last tested in 2014

Summary

This VW split screen is certainly something different and although needs some improvement, it could very well serve as a great commercial opportunity for the up and coming festival season or even a great circuit touring vehicle for somebody wanting a cool surf wagon.
Andrew