Drive away awning

This section is for general discussion related to VWs, and air-cooled bits ‘n bats.

Topic Author
mickyh
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Drive away awning

Post by mickyh » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 am

What recommendations are there for drive away awnings? We currently have the Quechua base seconds but that has gone the distance so we are looking for a replacement. Must be suitable for both a splitty and a bay.

thanks

DOUGAL
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Drive away awning

Post by DOUGAL » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Khyam quick erect motordome sleeper

Cheers,
Gertjan
Interested in 1/4 light/sliding window locks? Please PM me.
Available colours: black, blue, red, yellow, white, grey, green and purple

Dougie
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by Dougie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:38 pm

We have the khyam and love it, the only drawback is trying to dry it if you get home with it wet. Our old one could just hang in the garage, but the khyam has to be put up in the garden on a dry day.
SSVC Committee - Membership Secretary

ted698
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ted698 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:16 am

I also use a Khyam Motordome Sleeper - the only minor gripes are - its flipping heavy! - I had to split it into two bags as I couldn't get it above my head to put it on the roof rack!
It doesn't fold up very small - due to all the poles still being in the awning.
But it is very well made and had no issues with ours now over several seasons - whereas friends of ours have a Vango airbeam and had no ends of issues with it - it ....... in from all the seams when it rains, I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my owns eyes!.
it blew a inflatable beam, another beam got twisted in the sleeve, and never went back to its correct shape, and it went mouldy in the bag even though they were very careful to dry it properly.
They wish they had bought a Khyam...

thebouncingbunny

Post by thebouncingbunny » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Where are you? I have a motordome sleeper to sell.£250 Ono it's the one without fitted groundsheet.i didn't buy one but at the time you could get a footprint one.the year after it had a clip in groundsheet.its two tone grey.
Bunny
ImageImage