Oil leak

Topic Author
philsparks
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Oil leak

Post by philsparks » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:58 am

Hi Guys I need some help. The van had its valves checked and oil changed new airlifted fitted by my garage. I now have oil leaking by the main pulley. I have checked the level it was too high so took some out but it is still leaking not massively. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Doka Dave
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Oil leak

Post by Doka Dave » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:45 am

whereabouts exactly is it leaking?
Do you have a picture we can look at?
DD
--------------------------
Member since 1996.

Official SSVC Quizmaster 2014-2018 :) :) :) :)
-------------------------

slippy8v

Post by slippy8v » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:53 am

been trying to find a few oil leaks on mine, washed under the engine with gunk allowed to dry then washed again used a stiff brush to really get into all the nooks, allowed to dry again, placed clean cardboard under her and ran the engine for 10mins, this really helped to see the area the oil was coming from. Found 2 slight leaks on the pushrod tubes which I sealed, the other small leak seems to be from the oil cooler.(engine out at some point)

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:35 am

Do you have an original or aftermarket pulley?

Take the pulley off and check the thread on the outside. It's designed to throw oil back in to the engine when it's running. If the thread is blocked (dried oil etc) or too shallow (worn down or poor quality repro), it can't throw the oil back and you get leaks.

I partially cured mine must by taking the pulley off and cleaning the outer thread and wiping the hole in the engine case it fits in. Still leaks a bit though, but not enough to cause a repeating drip.

Also, by 'airlifted' did you mean air filter? If so, was it the same as what came off? Did the old (and does the new) have the breather pipe connecting it to the oil filler stand? That's designed to create a vacuum as air passes through the air filter which relieves pressure build up in the case that might push oil out of the various orifices in the case.
Last edited by Who.Me? on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
philsparks
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by philsparks » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes the air filter element was the same and has a breather pipe connected. It is a stock bottom pulley. The oil is leaking from behind the pulley into the little cover plate and some is being flung around . Do you think if the valves have been set too tight it would cause this? I will get a picture. The pushrod tubes are dry. Thanks Phil

Topic Author
philsparks
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by philsparks » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Pictured the oil is leaking straight down from the plastic tray on the muffler

Attachments
20170618_135951.jpg
20170618_135945.jpg

Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Can't think how the valves would have an effect on that. I'd take the pulley off and check that the outer thread is clean, then reinstall and see if the problem goes away.