Disc brake conversion?

Topic Author
Rock Bus
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Disc brake conversion?

Post by Rock Bus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Just after a bit of advice.

The brakes on my van are somewhat 'spongy' to say the least.

Whilst have the option of servicing the drums it's been recommended that I go with Discs as long term it's the right thing to do.

Would be interested in peoples opinion on if it is worth it and likely cost to get it converted.

Ps appreciate few other threads on this but interested in current views and in particular likely cost

Cheers
Last edited by 8 8US on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sjtw
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Disc brake conversion?

Post by Sjtw » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:51 pm

I'd get a brake servo from VWJim first and foremost.
I had discs on the front and there wasn't that much difference between them and the drums until I had the servo fitted.
Steve

Robbievanguy

Re: Disc brake conversion

Post by Robbievanguy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi mines were the same ,upgraded to duel circuit ,and vw Jim servo ,replaced every brake line ,big improvement,brake with confidence,then I'm only running 1641 with reduction boxes .

Topic Author
Rock Bus
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rock Bus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:14 pm

I appreciate that there are a few other threads on this but interested in current views and in particular likely cost

ferkh10
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Disc brake conversion

Post by ferkh10 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Unless money isn't a problem I'd suggest a vwjim servo with CSP discs up front and leaving your drums at the back.
If money is tight then just the servo alone will make a big difference. The main benefit of discs is that you won't need to keep adjusting as you will do with drums with a servo.

I've no idea on the cost of Jims servo and CSPs these days. Cost me about £900 for both when I did them but it was a good few years ago. Probably the best mod I've made in hindsight, just don't stamp on the brakes or you will be through the windscreen :wink:

Sjtw
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Sjtw » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:51 pm

Have a look at http://vwjim.co.uk/ourshop/cat_334693-B ... nents.html
If you drop Jim an email he'll get you a price and details.
Top bloke, highly recommended.
Last edited by Sjtw on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Manzo

Post by Manzo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:45 pm

personally I'd fit the discs first then fit a servo if needed
If you are fitting a servo, as said VWJim has a great rep

I've had two busses, both with discs (two different systems) and they both stopped on a dime without a servo

The main benefit for me is there is no brake fade down a long hill as happened to me when only drums were fitted. No matter how hard you stamp on those hot drum brakes (even with a servo), they will never stop even if fully maintained and serviced. This is from 1st hand personal experience - both of the issue and the solution(s)
www.oddballimport.co.uk www.slook.co.uk
Mooneyes, Clay Smith Cams, CB Radios, Rat Fink, Kustom Parts, Custom Stickers, Tax Disc holders, accessories and clothing

susta
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by susta » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Manzo wrote:personally I'd fit the discs first then fit a servo if needed
If you are fitting a servo, as said VWJim has a great rep

I've had two busses, both with discs (two different systems) and they both stopped on a dime without a servo

The main benefit for me is there is no brake fade down a long hill as happened to me when only drums were fitted. No matter how hard you stamp on those hot drum brakes (even with a servo), they will never stop even if fully maintained and serviced. This is from 1st hand personal experience - both of the issue and the solution(s)

Agree, its the fade, I was running porsche discs with Willwood 4 pots and Gti's on the back, stopping was good but you had to stamp hard. Put a Jim servo into the equation and it has transformed the braking

DoubleD
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DoubleD » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:33 am

If you go for discs, you may be limited in the type/size of wheels you can use.

As far as I know, the CSP kit uses a single pot caliper, whereas others are dual or 4-pot. I believe you have to use the CSP caliper that is intended for a 14" steel wheel to gain enough clearance for a stock 15" wheel. I'm not sure that there is any system other than CSP that works with 14" steelies. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The only 4-pot system I know of that works directly with stock 15" steel wheels is the Fellows kit, but it's very expensive. I have Airkewld 4-pot Wilwood brakes fitted but have had to use Type3 steel wheels to clear the calipers - they are 15" wide 5 smoothies and look quite reasonable on a bus, but of course they are non-standard. I also fitted a VWJim servo - bus stops on a sixpence with very little effort.

Most of the alloy wheels on the market will work with the CSP kit or a 4-pot system, depending on wheel size, but you should check all this out before taking the plunge.

susta
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by susta » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Very true Dave, Im running on 17"

DoubleD
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by DoubleD » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Wow! No clearance problems there then!

susta
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by susta » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:44 pm

No 225x40 on the front last stop on the Red9 so get a bit of wheel arch when chasing it on the Motorway ha ha

Topic Author
Rock Bus
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rock Bus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Cheers guys, seems like worth doing with servo.
What sort of cost should I expect including fitting?!

susta
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by susta » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:22 pm

See Jims web doddle to fit

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by vwJim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Unfortunately, the manufacturers have hit us with a major price increase plus now taking payment in Euros not Stirling, so a double whammy resulting in a cost increase of about 30%....!!!!!!!
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.