Canterbury Pitt table restoration

If you're a fan or owner of this lesser known, but excellent conversion then welcome to your very own Forum

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Canterbury Pitt table restoration

Post by PeterJ » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:29 pm

PS.
Always happy to be corrected but have just looked at the Volkszone link again and the front and rear stays do look like they're the same length. Plus the shape of the sliding bolt looks very similar to the one we've been looking at. Also assuming that it's in the right place, given the quite close position of the rear leg cross member to the hinges (and my thought re bashing your knees on them) I'm now wondering if the short legs were supposed to be screwed in/unscrewed after each use.

Peter

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 am

Many years ago I bought a chaise longue at an auction in Wedges Mills near Cannock for £5. Long story but I took it home and put in the garden to work on. I stripped all the hundreds of steel tacks out of the frame which had held the webbing. Saved and washed the real horse hair to be reused.
It was also infected very badly with live wood worm.the frame was structurally still solid.
I put it in a big plastic bag to capture the flying beetles and soaked it repeatedly with killer. Kept rotating it and soaking it.
Killed all the infestation off.
It had hundreds of holes in it. I spoke to a local very well known restorer who advised to carefully work on every surface with David's Isopon and fill all the holes and smooth off the surfaces and then wire wool to finish. Then use light application of stain which absorbs into the filler and they disappear.
To this day I look at it and chuckle.. first upholstered in Cannock in 1804. Restored by me... so if you did want to do your wood worm holes that works well use something fine like Dolphin glaze..
Last edited by type21f on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:24 am

Good story Graham :) Seems like we're both into using all the old tacs and screws where we can!

Peter, those brackets are nowhere near long enough. They should be 10" long. They need to be quite long to reach the cross bar on the double leg that you fold down to make the table free-standing.

In the meantime, here's a little something we've been working on

We are still at prototype stage but all going well should be able to offer repro tables made to whatever length people require, depending on if you have the magazine rack etc.

Cheers, Lee.
Last edited by e m p i on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...scum is scum wherever you go" D.C.I. Gene Hunt

0.018 reaction time:Empster July 2005 with a timing slip to prove it
Sooty wrote: You are a god Lee. :cheers:

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:31 am

My sons hate me saving the old screws and fixings...and rebel and throw them away..

They quip..
" What are you doing tonight DAD? Sorting and counting your screws?"
Last edited by type21f on Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Yeah I'm the same. Anything that gets scrapped I make sure that I pirate all the screws, brackets and hinges from it first and put them in a little (big) pot for another project :)

Cheers, Lee.

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by PeterJ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:57 pm

Great to see the prototype Lee – looks good. Hope it goes well. I agree re the length of the table leg stays. The ones on ebay look like the ones to go for – though quite a bit more expensive than the ironmongery ones. I've just ordered a pair so will let you know how they match up. The bits for my table are starting to come together but it'll probably take a while before I get to anything worth showing but will aim to post a pic or two some time in the future (if it looks at all reasonable that is).

+1 for the pot/tray with salvaged useful bits and pieces in!

All best,
Peter

e m p i

Post by e m p i » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:08 pm

PeterJ wrote:Many thanks for the table photos Lee – mine looks pretty similar though with a different top design – not a wood grain but a white background with grey squiggles. I couldn't find a match to the original top surface but as my seat covers aren't original either I've now been looking at various different options from an ebay shop that does 4'x2' sheets. I wasn't sure from the photos how light your table top is but just in case, they offer a white pine effect, item number 252268521733 but without seeing a sample it's hard to see how close the match might be to yours. Re the table leg sliding catch that's the ad I saw too so following your lead I've just put in an order!

Kind regards,
Peter
Just checked my sink draining board and it's got the same pattern as you've posted above. Which isn't the same as my tables :lol: So there was me thinking it all matched but I'd never noticed that it didn't :roll: Oh well, there's worse things in life to worry about I guess...
I will now start looking at different patterns of Formica to see what's about

Cheers, Lee.

ShrediKnight
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ShrediKnight » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:16 pm

Cool Peter, let us know how the ebay stays go. Will order some for my table if they right! At the moment have a wooden stay for the main leg.

Great to see the repo's in the work as well Lee.

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by PeterJ » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi Guys,
As an update re the table leg stays. I'm disappointed to report that I was contacted by the seller saying that they had an error in their stock and hence didn't have any. This is doubly disappointing as the measurements given in the ad looked like they matched those of the original exactly or at least very closely. I'll be contacting them to see if they might be having some in again in the future. I suppose the positive is that the stays we need do exist so must be around somewhere. To be continued...

Kind regards,
Peter

ShrediKnight
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ShrediKnight » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for letting us know. As you say it's good to know they are out there, will endeavor to try and track some down as well, would be great to have them. Of course if I do find some will let you know.

Cheers,

Mark

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by PeterJ » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi Mark,

Have just sent a message to the original supplier but also since then found other same(?)/similar (and cheaper!) items on Amazon so have ordered and will let you know how it goes. Looking around the web there does seem to be quite a few firms that supply them so hopefully we'll be OK.

Kind regards,
Peter

ShrediKnight
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ShrediKnight » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:42 pm

HI Peter,

Thanks for that, cool as news!
I'm due to finish the varnishing up of my table in the next couple of weeks so getting the stays in would be great.

Cheers,

Mark

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by PeterJ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:42 am

Hi Mark,

To summarise where I got to regarding the sprung leg supports, the 10” size given for the ones I found (from different suppliers) refers to the absolute total length, meaning the length of the arms and the hinge brackets, all opened out and laying flat. In retrospect, this is most likely also the case for the ebay ones I tried to order. With the hinged brackets folded under, the total length ends up a shade over 8”. So, in position, the support would be about 2 inches short. Looking further afield, there are a number of different brands/length versions available from the USA usually described as drop leaf table brace/support, including 10” and 12”. One of these might be suitable but I couldn't find any diagrams that really nail down what their quoted lengths actually refer to. In the meantime I've just started Formica sticking down.

Kind regards,
Peter

Topic Author
PeterJ
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by PeterJ » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:19 pm

Success!
Just received a spring bracket from across the pond for my table's rear legs and as I hope you can see it's a pretty close match to the original - new one on top, original below. This one's by Stanley. The other make that's on offer over there that may be OK is by National Manufacturing but I couldn't get a length check from the seller for one of those. Hope this is useful.

All best,
Peter
Attachments
Spring Bracket.jpg

ShrediKnight
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by ShrediKnight » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:34 am

That's awesome!

I'll get a couple ordered up I think. Was it the 10" Stanley in the end?

Thanks so much for that Peter.

Mark