How too split the king pin system.

RPATTZ

How too split the king pin system.

Post by RPATTZ »

I'm looking to split the king pin system on my van but the trouble is I'm struggling to remove the parts which are pressed together. Even if heating them up its still a struggle. Anyone done this before. Richard.
richandsue
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: How too split the king pin system.

Post by richandsue »

you will not do this with normal tools. you need a press that will exert something like 400 ton to pull them apart. go with a crack when it goes. putting them back is no problem, just push together at home.
RPATTZ

Post by RPATTZ »

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking down that sort of line after struggling for a bit on my first go. 400 tonne seems a considerable amount of force just too split them considering there should be no real issue on refitting the new parts. I'm looking at getting these parts removed with some sort of press so I will update if it works.
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by paul_f »

My 10 ton press has managed to do any I have tried. You need to make tooling though
SSVC Van Register

Post by SSVC Van Register »

30 tons is my recommendation - have done hundreds of them over the years. Unfortunately not local to you , otherwise you could just pop round and I would separate them for you. You also need a bit of a jig to get the pressure in the right place.

Steve S.