1963 Sundial Split

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
ol innit

Re: 1963 Corvair Split..

Post by ol innit »

Hi - great bus, I do like it.
When you come to return to corvair power, remember you'll need to flip the diff in your new gear box, as the engine will rotate the other way... (not wishing to state the obvious, but having 4 reverse gears isn't too helpful....)

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Location: Weymouth, Dorset, Fitting a smaller engine in the van!

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

4 reverse gears defo would not be very helpful !

Luckily for me, when they installed the engine on the van many minds ago, they fitted a reverse rotation camshaft so it fire s backwards and runs the same way as a VW - hurrah!

I've had it running in the van already and it was the first thing I checked!
Build thread here :)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=92787

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

I`ve been a bit busy recently as i was away last weekend and tomorrow i`m off to france for a week so not much progress on the van although had the odd half hour after work and also today aswell.

No pics, but i cleaned up all my porsche hubs ready for my dropped spindles - knocked out the old bearings ready for new and dismantled the donor front brake calipers ready for painting and refurb.

Today, i thought i`d tackle the wiring and see how much the rats had nibbled away!

It was a bit of a mess - wires snipped here and there, many plastic connectors and even an old skool 250V hookup american socket plonked right in the dash!

Anyways, i thought best bet was to just disconnect everything and start from scratch. All the 6v relays and flashers removed and replaced with 12v modern units.

Hooked up the laptop first to diagnose any problems!

I went through all the wiring, making sure everything was cleaned up and good and then reconnecting it neatly.

After wiring everything up, i reconnected the battery and straightaway the indicator started flashing - it turned out i`d left the stalk pointing left, but at least it meant it worked. Bizarrely, and i`ve never know this in a vehicle, all electrics - eg indicators, hazards, lights, wipers all work with the ignition off - i` confirmed this with the diagram on vintage bus.

The only problem i had was that the flasher unit was buzzing with the ignition off all the time - i eventually sorted this after getting some advice and rearranging the live feeds to the flashers and turn signal lights.

All good now - we see the light!!! :cheers:

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Marvelwear »

Your getting there, good work, crack on and get it on the road:-)
[img]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... 902021.jpg[/img] 63 CKD Australian type2t1b School clothing bus from Melbourne called"Marvin"

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Got back home from holiday to find these waiting on my kitchen table :D

Thanks to Gill (vwgillybilly) on here for rebuilding and dropping them for me - work looks top notch.

I`ll be fitting these tomorrow - if i can work out where all the seals and washers go back!

From this -

to this - :D

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

So today, i got on with fitting the new spindles and steering too :)

i had to fit new bearings into my porsche 944 hubs and cleaned up the discs a bit too. I fit a spacer behind the outer bearing and a ring spacer inside the porsche grease seal and all bolted up fine :)

I even have dust plates for them!

The spindles from gill were really good and bolted straight up although i had to slightly clearance one of the linkpin heads after i`d set the shims up.

I finally had chance to use my grease gun i bought many years ago - i guess it`ll be getting more use now i have a king and link pin front end!!

Once i had the wheels all bolted on, i set up the steering with new steering arm, and adjustable track rod ends. I have about 1 inch of play at the steering wheel before the wheels move - is that good or bad? - i`ve never driven a split before!

I was tempted to adjust the screw at the steering box to see if it`ll take up the play, but i`m loathe to mess with it if its ok already - i`ll probably end up shearing off some important nut or something! I`d like to top the steering box up - is it the square nut in the top where you fill it up? That looks like ti would round off very easily!

Pics from today -

I think the stance is looking pretty good! - stock beam with dropped spindles.

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Can`t remember if i mentioned it earlier, but i had a 'minor' setback a couple of weeks ago when i came to connect the gearlinkage up - the shaft coming out of the nosecone didn`t line up with the linkage rod by about 10mm!

Turns out when i installed the front gearbox mount, i fitted it upside down - more easily done than you think!!

Well, i had to do some welding in the engine bay area which meant removing the fuel tank for safety, so while the engine was out, i loosened the gearbox up and refitted it the correct way up. Again - this is more difficult than you think! One of bolts which hold the mount to the gearbox is in an extremely tight location and you can`t get a spanner or ratchett in there so i had to improvise!

All back in and fitted though and i thought it was time to do something about this massive hole in my van above my engine -

Well, as they`re was a hole there anyway (which has proved extremely useful for access), i thought i`d use one of these to fill it :D

After 'alot' of cutting and trimming, i had this -

I did get this all welded in with the removable hatch, but for soem reason didn`t get any photos - so will do next time i`m out with the van.

So -

front spindles fitted
steering done
irs complete
rear arches repaired and welded
bulkhead repaired and welded
engine hatch repaired and welded up
engine complete
gearbox complete
electrics nearly complete
brakes half complete
fuel tank cleaned
window seals done

to do -
fit calipers, rear brake pipes and master cylinder
finish electrics
finish seat runners
seat belts and mounts
locks
repair mirrors
remove ply headlining to discover and clean what lies above 8O
install r n r bed
line inside of van
possibly paint wheels

CLEAN THE VAN!

- getting there slowly!

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

I`ve just realised it was my buses 50th birthday 2 days ago - built on 11th June 1963 - Hurrah - Happy Birthday to my Van!!!!

:cheers:

I haven`t quite got it on the road in time for its 50th birhtday, but i`m not too far away (thats what i keep telling myself anyway!!) :lol:

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Well i was busy with brakes yesterday - i had to move the flexihose hose mountings as the foul in the current position with the new IRS. I made up new pipes and fitted them all with my rebuilt calipers and also fitted the porsche 944 master cylinder.

All looking good though! I appear to have a small problem with my brake mechanism not being quite right - its too far to the right and scrapes the floor as you depress the brake. This also means the push rod enters the master cylinder at an angle - i have a post in the tech section if anyone has any help!

We bled the brakes uptonight and seem to have a fair bit of travel before the brakes engage - i think this is a combination of having a 2 left calipers fitted on the front so one bleed nipple is at the bottom and the push rod mechanism. I had 2 pairs of front calipers and have accidentally used 1 from each! One joint ont he master cylinder is also weeping so i`ll fix this when i replace the correct caliper.

This morning i had a bit of time and quickly had a look at my locks and barrels - i had ordered a key off the code on the drivers cab lock and with a bit of wd40 and persuasion, it now works well. I thought i`d look at the other locks to see if i can get them to match the same key. I managed to take apart the cargo door lock and rearrange the tumblers so i the key matches and works there too - the only problem here was i realised after that the pushrod it operates, someone has meen at it and cut it off!! I may possibly try to tap and screw a stud into!

I also had a go at the rear hatch lock, but the grub screw is firmly in place - i think i may be able to drill it out and retap if i`m lucky.

And then, the finally, this evening, the van moved under its own steam!!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

i drove it out, turned it round, so we have a better view now!!

blink

Post by blink »

This thing is looking amazing mate.
Can wait to see it when you got it just the way you want it.

You going to polish it up?

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Thanks - its getting there! Yes - i`ll be polishing the paint - it t-cuts up really well with a shine which is great. The aluminium frames on the windows polish up really well aswell so it should look good.

The van is filthy at the moment - i wiped ankor wax into the marks and scrapes on it to prevent them getting worse in the british weather but never finished cleaning it so it really needs a polish now!

I was going to paint the wheels a satin black, but i think i`m going to leave them the silvery colour they are as i think it quite suits the van :) The rear wheels will also be getting some fatter tyres fitted when i get round to it!

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Well i`m slowly getting there - the weathers not been bad after work so been managing to sort a few things.

I got the brakes bled properly and the brake pedal fixed in straight - it helps to have the caliper the correct way up before bleeding!

I`ve also been getting on with finishing the electrics. i `ve now got working headlights, brakes, indicators, hazrds, wipers, and horn!

I have to admit - the space the wipers clean on the glass is laughable - its about as big as a postage stamp! I put an inline bulb to drop the voltage and fitted morris minor wiper blades as they`re sprung so will hopefully clear better -

And the rats that the van was home to must have been some sort of super species - tiny rodents with massive droppings. How they got in this space i don`t think anyone will ever know!

Marvelwear
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Marvelwear »

Your telling us a rat lifted the horn button, took a dump and put it back:cheers: :cheers: lovin it, mine had spider bodies from Oz everywhere :-)made me a bit urm worried as some bodies were hand sized!great work.
[img]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... 902021.jpg[/img] 63 CKD Australian type2t1b School clothing bus from Melbourne called"Marvin"

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

did you not see the pic above of inside the brake drum!?

i still have to drop the headlining yet...... - not looking forward to that!
Marvelwear wrote:Your telling us a rat lifted the horn button, took a dump and put it back:cheers: :cheers: lovin it, mine had spider bodies from Oz everywhere :-)made me a bit urm worried as some bodies were hand sized!great work.

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

So today was about keeping the welder warm!

I cracked on and finished the seat mounts for both the driver and the bench. Its great to finally have some securely mounted seats!!

I didn`t take any pics of the bench mounts for some reason but i do rememeber there was alot of tacking them in, then cutting them off again, then tacking them in again until i had the positions right!

I also made some 'custom' dust caps for the front wheel bearings. The porsche 944 dust caps won`t fit over the Vw spindles ends. So you have 2 options - send mine to a company in the states to be stretched (can`t be bothered with that!!), cut the end of the spindle off - didn`t really fancy hacking up my newly refurbed spindles!!! Or - cut holes in the porsche ones, then weld the vw ones on top them! This worked pretty well :wink:

I also repaired the mirrors which were flopping about all over the place - they were held in place with nail bent through arm - great!

Seat belt mounts were also on the cards today - i fitted 4 points in the spare wheel well for the 2 inertia belts and a lap belt, then a couple on the wheel tubs, then used the trick of cutting a slot in the pillar and feeding the mount up into position using a string.

Just got to work out the rears now!

I`ve also got the cab all cleaned up now - all switched, gauges, lights, steering wheel, parcel shelf, pedal cluster are all where they should be and working. The cab as it is today -