1963 Sundial Split

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Location: Weymouth, Dorset, Fitting a smaller engine in the van!

Re: 1963 Corvair Split..

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Well today i warmed up the welder! :D Got a couple of days off work, so i thought i`d crack on.

I had a slightly delayed start to the day when i discovered my welding mask was shot and the auto dim wasn't working, so i lost most of the morning driving to another town to buy a new one - i had the chance to buy one with flames on the sides for an extra fiver, but decided plain black was good enough for me!

Anyway, i thought it was time to tackle those rear arches as the baja wheel look isn`t really for me!

here`s what we have -

A few steps later -

I was reasonably happy with this, but had a slight ridge where the 2 pieces of metal butted together - so will have to remedy that with a bit of filler. I haven`t welded in a long time, so i can allow my myself this boo boo!

The other arch came out a bit better - i used an autocraft panel as i didn`t have a donor section for this side and the quality looked really good.

Can you see the snow in this pic - its been snow flurries all day!

My workshop :cheers:

I`ll finish them tomorrow, grinding them back, a skim of filler, then blend into the paint work.

Then i have a couple of patches to put into the cab floor - one side, icould get away with wire brushing it probably to be honest, but i think while i`ve got the welder out, i might aswell make it properly good again :)

Cheers, Mike
Build thread here :)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=92787

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Oh - PS - I am desperately after some seat runners from a left hand drive van for a 1/3 2/3 bench seat!! Let me know if you know of any available!

vwgillybilly

Post by vwgillybilly »

There's a guy on early bay forums that has got a Corvair powered bus.

There's a full thread documenting the build in rides & projects - it's a really good read & will be helpful for you.

Regards.

Gill
1994 993 911

1967 SO42 tintop

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

vwgillybilly wrote:There's a guy on early bay forums that has got a Corvair powered bus.

There's a full thread documenting the build in rides & projects - it's a really good read & will be helpful for you.

Regards.

Gill
cheers - i think i may have been in contact with him actually and he is a helpful guy!

On another note - i have found a supplier in the uk who does all the service parts for american engines including the corvair :-)

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Today and yesterday i`ve been mainly doing the front cab floors and the finishing off the rear arches.

I did the right side yesterday - this needed a little more work than i anticipated. The A post was starting to rust away and need a new piece letting in and the the bit that comes down the bulkhead to meet the cab floor was all corroded at the bottom where it meets the floor so i had to repair this also before welding a new floor piece -

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

And just for good measure, why not do the other side!?

This wasn`t quite as bad - just the floor panel here.

I also finished off the arches. Unfortunately, the paint i got made up off the original paint code didn`t match. I guess thats what you get for leaving a van out for 50 years in the sun!

I tried to feather it in as best i could - i ended up trying to make it look like an old repair if possible -

waterwagen

Post by waterwagen »

Nice bit of welding mate. :D From were am looking aswell you touch looks really fitting.

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Well, i finally got round to building the engine back up today!

i wired up the ignition of the van and the engine turns over :) I checked the compression firstly and all cylinders were about 140 apart from number 6 which was about 115 - a little low, possibly a worn valve maybe.

I was also getting oil pressure after turning it over so that was good.

I set about dismantling the carbs to clean them out. The first wasn`t too bad and i cleaned a bit of grit out and blew out the galleries in it.

The second though had obviously had fuel sitting in it for a very long time which had turned to varnish. Eventually after a good soaking in carb cleaner and loads compressed air, i deemed it good enough to go back on the engine for test starting it.

Anyway, i left the carbs how they were set - both had mixture out about 1.5 turns each. I didn`t touch the timing either.

The engine turns over quick enough, but isn`t trying to fire. There is definitely fuel there - i removed the pipes at the carbs and it drips out there so the fuel pump is working.

Unfortunately i couldn`t check the spark as i was on my own.

Also, it seemd the throttle spindles are pretty worn - they worn leaking petrol all over the place!

Is it possible to get new bushes machined in? I`m at the point now where i have to decide whether i continue and spend money to get the engine going or stick to the stock 1500 vw engine. I`d really like to get it going if possible though!

Pics -

Its alive!

Engine -

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Well I finally got round to having a quick look at the engine - no spark in sight, so that s never going to start!
Also the carbs were flooding everywhere and leaking so instead of buying rebuild kits and I've splashed out on some rebuilt carbs asthey're not that much more - no going back now! Should arrive next week.

I have all new service bits - found a supplier on every UK for these and probably about the same cost asa VW engine :-)

Also had a slight issue with the rain! My judgment on the seals condition was a bit flawed and the rain poured in through the seals all over my floor repairs! Emergency action with a gazebo was required!

New seals going in tomorrow morning though!

Mike

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Evasive action had to be taken against the rain!-

New seals in :-)

How satisfying is it to fit them!?

Very impressed with the quality of the seals made by Vewib - no bunching up round the corners at all and even got some free gummi bear sweets with them!

Cab doow window seals this afternoon - if i can get those interior handles off the doors!!

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Got it running!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0iH4cG- ... e=youtu.be

Not sure how you embed a youtube video in the forum page!! Dont seem able to use the youtube tags for some reason!?

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

More pics of the engine -

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 63CorvairSplit »

Thought i`d better do some welding aswell !

The seat bulkhead needs a bit of attention as the middle bit with all the runners had been cut off!

And a big thanks to Bialzi on the forum who sent me these panels :-)

I got it tacked in, but ran out of gas, so will finish off tomorrow.

I`ll then look at how i`m going to get the main bulkhead back in.

:D

SplitBusVanatic

Post by SplitBusVanatic »

I like your progress here.
Nice bit of work on the rear arches and the floor.
Keep it up..

GTV

Post by GTV »

Good on you for getting that lump running again!
Chevy also built a 140hp four carb engine as well as a 180hp turbocharged version.
I don't imagine it will be easy to get the lid to close... Probably have to do some creative relocating... Possibly narrow the adapter plate? Move the transaxle forward slightly? A combination of all?