" Trix " our 66 adventure continues.............

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
Bren Ralls
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: " Trix " our 66 adventure continues.............

Post by Bren Ralls »

Been busy busy well living the dream as rude not to enjoy the bus & get out n use it..

September was a very busy month and was out every weekend at either shows, chilling or driving miles.

Having only just come back from cornwall was itching to get back and with the kids settled into college stole a long weekend and back to our special place for a road trip. Knocked off early on the Friday and hit the road at 3:30pm destination widemouth beach. A few delays as expected on a Friday afternoon, a diversion along country lanes parallel to the A361 took ages but one off the bucket list as always wanted to camp up and sleep on the beach. Arrived at 11pm a tad tired the the roar of the sea and waves rolling up the beach soon had us both sound oh..

Sprung the front cover hoping for a perfect sea to sneak a early surf but alas well messy so coffee it was..

A few out playing but looked hard work for no reward so breakfast and hit the road destination St Ives for San and earn so browny points. We both love this place so a bit of shopping, lunch & the cake shop :)

Later on we headed to Gwithian, surf was big but great fun & made better as some seals popped up then later a large pod of dolphins played in the waves near by.

After this headed to globe vale & a surprise visit to mum who really wasn't expecting us as she was on holiday. Oops made her cry with joy & a cracking end to Saturday. Sunday was chilled and meant to be relaxing but alas surf was up again so you guessed it and Gwithian again :)

Monday and home time but not till more shopping for San, a stop off at westward ho for me as this beach was sheltered so sneaked in for a 5' clean wave knowing this was probably the last surf I would get for a while. Then the 300 mile return home but well worth it and exactly what we love to do in the bus.

Wow that was just the first weekend wahoo on a roll now.

Poor effort now as no pics so it didnt happen lol but......

Next up grill n chill and roughly an hour's drive from us to the hop farm at paddock wood.

This show has a vw theme but any thing goes really and is basically chilling and that we did.
General theme walk the show and admire the great vehicles, BBQ beer & fire pit.
Saturday repeat Fridays list and make new friends.
Sunday well Sunday is a Sunday so relax then head home.

Another week on and a local show ohsoretro for the Sunday just outside Margate. Local guy Lee organises this for local charities so hats off to him. With over a 1000 vehicles turning up and some 5000 visitors what a show.

Next stop Brighton breeze with hollie convoying with us behind in her beetle plus several other local to us along the coast road. Disappointing as got parked up near the marina so totally out of the show but to drive 2 hours in wrong direction to join main hook road convoy does not make sence but will have to in the future I guess. Rain killed event for a few hours but sun came out in the end and after loads left we joined the party and shifted into centre of show. New camp venue was far better in my opinion, with showers and no portoloo's. Pindy's ditch was a great party game enjoyed by all either participating or spectator. Alas all over to soon and home time on the Sunday, although the splitty bounce and a hangover is not how I enjoyed the 2 hour drive home. Never again well till the next time.

That's the partying over and missing it already but now the little jobs need doing. Engine needs to come out for new heads although done over 2000 miles since my last little hickup on holiday but do not want to risk the crack anymore.
Then it's build the interior cupboard and a few little paint stone chips to sort.

Oh and the house jobs that have accumulated over this last 3 winters, yep decorating eeeeeek. New bathroom plus what ever she who does comes up with..

But wow what a year since the resto near 5000 miles covered, great times, great comments & good friends. Roll on 2017.
Laters..
markp
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by markp »

:cheers: :cheers: :bounce: :bounce: :cheers: :cheers: :bounce: :bounce:

Nice update bren

note to self ...take more pics ya lazy git :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8)

Mark

viewtopic.php?f=8&p=598598#p598598

If you're going to dive in then make sure it's the deep end ! SIMPLES :D
Bren Ralls
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Bren Ralls »

Bren Ralls
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Bren Ralls »

Whilst on holiday if you can remember back that far spent a morning filming for globe vales new advertising video. Finally it's been published, ok 8 seconds of fame but chuffed. Check out the link.

https://youtu.be/V4qXjQJont8
pokey
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by pokey »

looks like your having a good time putting the miles in, like the video too 8)
Cleverchap

Post by Cleverchap »

Love it!! I'll be interested to see what you do for your interior
|o\*/o|
Bren Ralls
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Bren Ralls »

Still can't let go, or is it refuse to stop playing so braved the cold for slough swap meet.

Early start to meet up with Wolfsburg bus crew as rich had organised club parking, arrived on time then not to plan. All started up and headed off except 1 yep turn the key and nothing no click no vroom just the wirrrrrr of the fuel pump.
Starter playing up so San got her first drive if only whilst I pushed her across the garage forecourt and bump start. Finally caught up with the group in the carpark and so great to bump into friends old and new, coops, modified Steve, Jon the builder, empi Lee, graham lian etc etc etc.
Great day, no goodies but not looking for much but more a fun day out.

Oh and starter still not doing its job so out came the jack and squeeze under bus, result simples spade connector had come adrift. Yahooooooooo no chariot of shame today.

Few pics for pindy

Then home in the dry and tucked up clean winning some brownie points with some kitchen decorating prep.

Road trip next weekend to cornwall and sort out our little place down there but creature comforts and in the car this time ie modern heating, heated seats and no back ache.

Mmmm slacking on the cave front so maybe the weekend after for that.
Bren Ralls
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Bren Ralls »

Seems an update is long overdue and a fair bit been going on.

Engine came out over Xmas to start on top end work. After speaking with stateside tunning to sort new heads seems my deck height is to large. Didn't know history of heads /barrels etc so took the hit ordering new piston & barrel set only to find it's exactly the same dimensions as what I had with deck height still being to large at 0.120" where 0.070" is more desirable . Heinsite should of got case skimmed when I built that but like always you find that out after it's built sealed & several years down the line. At this stage didn't fancy cracking case to do this so next option was get barrels turned down, sourcing a local company and job jobbed.
With this done could now get heads ordered and dimensions finalised for correct compression ratio, but now the wait but hopefully due mid to late February.

Next up tackle the interior, the temporary cabinet seems slightly more permanent but over the last 4 years have had many ideas of what we wanted so was just patient to be sure and now ready to tackle the wood butchery.
General plan is all timber for cabinet and door cards with a mixture of solid oak & oak ply veneer to achieve the effect.
Plenty of pre planning & direction of grain baring in mind there will be several curved panels and the oak ply bends easily in one direction but not another so determined orientation.

Have been building bits for a few days but easier to have one general update so long panel card done just needs coating.

From here I can start to measure and fix so fridge carcase done with lower section for storage, found it easier with fridge off the ground..

The waeco fridge works a treat just remember it need plenty of ventilation during the summer. So allowed more clearance over the top between fridge top and worktop.

Next up centre cupboard and corner seat. Centre cupboard will be simple hinged flaps on the front and top section to be a draw one side and single hob the other with lift up lid, more obvious when I get to that bit.

Hob section something like this.

Curved seat to house larger 4.5kg gas bottle to double up for extra gas for propex heater. Also plan for a bayonet fitting in there somehow for external cooker in the awning if required. Plus just extra storage junk etc.

Under the rock n roll bed has many a dilemma for the lower panel, flat seemed a bit unfinished but the curved corners are fighting. Fighting is more learning to curve the oak ply without staining the raw finish.
First bent it around the curve wetting face but dryed leaving black marks from straps.

ImageImageImage

So tried another method so nothing touched the oak face.

Achieved the bend but dried as if moldy effect grrrrrrrrrr.

3rd time lucky steaming the under face so keeping oak dry, bingo & no damage giving nice tight curve. Good old wall paper stripper working a treat sorry no pics do it didn't happen.

General gist of panel to be covered.

Often this is blocked of but my plan is twin cooker storage on side and gas pipe coil next to it. It won't be used very often but any cooking is an outside job.

A close up pic of buddy seat plan is oak ply bent and glued around front face. Top to be ply seat topped in ply an padded cushion to match viynl seat.

And that's me to date, next up is start on draws & sort edging trims but will get a another big section done.

Laters.
Last edited by Bren Ralls on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cleverchap

Post by Cleverchap »

Nice to see an update, the interior looks like it will be spot on once finished (just like the rest of your work).
Last edited by Cleverchap on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|o\*/o|
susta
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by susta »

Just a suggestion and it maybe too late, but for the curved sections try laminating 3 layers of veneer (.8mm thick ) thus making your own ply, i.e. centre section perpendicular. Then saturate the outside and it will go around the curve on its own, and bond it to 4mm flex-ply.
Steve
Bren Ralls
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Bren Ralls »

Cheers Steve not to late as still building caresses so pre veneer stage.
What I have is bendy enough and will stay in curved condition when wetted and allowed to dry. Problem is when wetting the oak face its drying with lots of black dots almost like mold spots.

Did solve the problem by steaming the back face, it made it even more flexible and easier to get a tight bend & as no moisture touches the oak it didn't damage or stain the face. So will try this method first..

Making my own bent ply is an option but do not have any local suppliers of timber that thin.
rusty1962
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by rusty1962 »

Great update Bren. We know Gwithian as went there a couple of years running. Looking forward to catching up at VF
Resto http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=97975

"J Rax" Handmade front & rear roof racks and clamps for Dormobile buses

visit my webshop

Halso Aircooled VW Oil

If you think you can, you can and if you think you can't, you're right :wink:
Cleverchap

Post by Cleverchap »

Hey Bren,

I'm looking at getting an awning this year as was re-reading page 10 of your thread and how you have fitted the awning rail etc. Any updates/feedback on how it has been since you fitted this? It certainly looks like it should keep out the very worst of the weather.
|o\*/o|
Bren Ralls
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Bren Ralls »

Cleverchap wrote:Hey Bren,

I'm looking at getting an awning this year as was re-reading page 10 of your thread and how you have fitted the awning rail etc. Any updates/feedback on how it has been since you fitted this? It certainly looks like it should keep out the very worst of the weather.
It's worked a treat and had no issues. We have 3 attachments kyham awning, sun canopy and a door cover. All clip into rail so allowing gutters to remain clear and if for any reason water gets through gutters do there job and you stay dry.
Figure of 8 strip use a long length over side door or if you have joints rain will drop in, got mine from lightning leisure.

We've camped in some pretty hairy winds and been caught in storms 50mph + winds, all held fast. No damage to bus or rail, if the gutter rail clamp solution that would of ripped off easily & dread to think what damage that pole would of done.

The scary thing is drilling holes in a perfectly good roof but very happy we did, markP did exactly the same and once the rail is painted it almost gets lost in the roof. Just remember stainless steel screws and plenty of silicone under rail and screw heads..

Later on in the resto we put similar thing under double door attached to sill for a draft skirt used a few times and does the job..
Cleverchap

Post by Cleverchap »

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye out for a decent length
|o\*/o|