2332cc turbocharged/EFi build plus nitrous

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
Post Reply

shawn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 2558
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:49 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by shawn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:53 am

tufty65 wrote:Ok, I think I have just realised why the gauge is showing no boost or vac.
As the gauge is teed into the in-cabin boost controller it may be because I have wound the boost controller dial right out so it wont have any boost ?......hopefully :)

Ok so I found the answer for the boost part.....

You have to be under load to produce any signifigant amount of boost..the level is so low when the car isn't loaded that it just looks like zero on the gauge.

But the gauge should show some vacuum @ idle but it doesnt :?
Yes you should have vacuum at idle, mine is around 20-25. My gauge is connected all the way from the engine and works so maybe there is a connection issue... do you have everything tee'd off of one another in the engine bay as this can give a very rough / low signal. You make yourself a little box - mins is from 32mm waste pipe glued together with all the fittings taken off to give a stable even reading to an from everything. The gauge takes a reading somewhere between your c'cooler and the top hats.
Have you a Maplins in Taunton? that's where i got my serial to usb converter lead from, lots in stock.
I've got my dyno in a few hours, Paulf did me a new map minus 10% fuel and it runs quite sweet now :wink:
RHD '63 13 window deluxe
1989 BMW E30 M3


shawn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 2558
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:49 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by shawn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:57 am

I've just re-read how you have the gauge plumbed. My boost controller comes off of the wastegate and thats the only thing that does. I think you need to plumb the gauge into the the other hoses, ie the ones that come off the inlets, to the ecu etc.
RHD '63 13 window deluxe
1989 BMW E30 M3

User avatar

Topic Author
tufty65
Registered user
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: Taunton, cider capital

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by tufty65 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:58 am

shawn wrote:I've just re-read how you have the gauge plumbed. My boost controller comes off of the wastegate and thats the only thing that does. I think you need to plumb the gauge into the the other hoses, ie the ones that come off the inlets, to the ecu etc.
Yeah my boost controller is connected between the wastegate and the pressure port on the intake near the c-cooler.
hence this being the 'pressure' side of the system I just teed off that in the cab area.

All the other pipes for manifold pressure/fuel etc are teed off the throtle bodies which is the 'vacuum' side of the system.

The gauge instructions say connect to the pressure port side (which is what the wastegate is connected too) so it should work.

What about having that dial turned right out on the boost controller ?? would that just vent everything in the pipe (boost or vac) to atmosphere?
im confusing myself now :?
OFF 35
Et 12.64@106.25
http://www.offdrc.co.uk/


shawn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 2558
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:49 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by shawn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:07 am

I'm sure you will need to tee off the other lot of plumbing and that's what will give you an idle vacuum reading. I just had a look at mine and that's how it's plumbed. It works very accurately and quickly. Maybe run a lenght of tube from the gauge back to all the vacuum /inlet tee's and give ie a go ?

EDIT !!!

Right I've a proper look this time!
I've plumbed off the top hat, this goes to the wastegate and in turn the boost controller. Nothing else is connected to it.
Everything else ( including the gauge ) is fed from below at the base of the throttle bodies.
RHD '63 13 window deluxe
1989 BMW E30 M3

User avatar

Topic Author
tufty65
Registered user
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: Taunton, cider capital

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by tufty65 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 am

shawn wrote:I'm sure you will need to tee off the other lot of plumbing and that's what will give you an idle vacuum reading. I just had a look at mine and that's how it's plumbed. It works very accurately and quickly. Maybe run a lenght of tube from the gauge back to all the vacuum /inlet tee's and give ie a go ?

EDIT !!!

Right I've a proper look this time!
I've plumbed off the top hat, this goes to the wastegate and in turn the boost controller. Nothing else is connected to it.
Everything else ( including the gauge ) is fed from below at the base of the throttle bodies.
What gauge you running?
So I shouldnt have my gauge connected to the boost controller anywhere then as thats pressure side?
It should be connected to the vacuum side then like yours (which is also where MAP sensor and fuel pressure is connected). On mine that is to the hose barbs below the throttle butterflies.

Im doing OT today so im not in the lock up. :roll:

Just looked at my boost retard timing master instructions on line and the gauge definately needs to be on the vacuum side of the system :roll: :roll: Ive put it on the pressure side :lol:

quote ...
For the MSD boost timing master
Connect the other end of the hose to a ported source such as the intake manifold or below the throttle blades of the carburetor or throttle body. If you already have a boost gauge you can tee into that line.
OFF 35
Et 12.64@106.25
http://www.offdrc.co.uk/


shawn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 2558
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:49 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by shawn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:20 pm

I plumbed my vdo gauge wrong first time too !!!
I've just got back from the dyno, 323.3 fwhp. 135.9mph @ 7100rpm 1.2bar but still with a massively pulled timing map, they didn't want to put some more back in even though I told them that with a tank full of 99 octane fuel and charegecooling it would be fine. I won't be going back there again... Also I might have to admit defeat and change the ecu, it appears the redline kit is just too basic for the spec and power output of the engine... Maybe a new omex or dta is on the cards :-(
RHD '63 13 window deluxe
1989 BMW E30 M3

User avatar

orb
Registered user
Posts: 2474
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Kingston upon Thames

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by orb » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:55 pm

shawn wrote:323.3 fwhp. 135.9mph @ 7100rpm
My Giddy aunt - nice power Shaun, bet it f**king flies now.

Can't believe they wouldn't put more in at your request - very strange...

Don't know if you've talked to Jim but we are cracking my case apart next week to see what the damage is :roll: - another bloody summer with no bus as I can't get anyone to rebuild it this side of Sept :(

I'm losing the will with my bus at the moment, need something good to happen to re-ignite the flame or she may have to go soon - I hear the growl of a V8 calling

Orb
Image

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015

User avatar

paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member
Posts: 6219
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:58 am
Location: Gillingham, Kent

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by paul_f » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:00 pm

orb wrote:
Don't know if you've talked to Jim but we are cracking my case apart next week to see what the damage is :roll: - another bloody summer with no bus as I can't get anyone to rebuild it this side of Sept :(
Orb
Oh no what has happened with it then?

I must get a spare engine again. Its much better knowing I can have a turnkey single carb engine if necessary to get rolling again
Image

User avatar

orb
Registered user
Posts: 2474
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Kingston upon Thames

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by orb » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:15 pm

paul_f wrote:
orb wrote:
Don't know if you've talked to Jim but we are cracking my case apart next week to see what the damage is :roll: - another bloody summer with no bus as I can't get anyone to rebuild it this side of Sept :(
Orb
Oh no what has happened with it then?

I must get a spare engine again. Its much better knowing I can have a turnkey single carb engine if necessary to get rolling again
When Jim had it out to fit the injection he noticed some excessive end float, he whipped the flywheel off hoping that it was just a shim but no - there is movement in the rear bearing :roll:

Had a chat with Ian Clark and he reckons it's starved the rear bearing of oil (I'm still at a loss as to how that could happen), welded the bearing to the crank, snapped off the dowel and wrecked the case and probably the crank! - all this on an engine that is less than 18mths old, has done less than 5000 miles and was supposed to have been built by a professional 8O

To say I'm unhappy about it would be an understatement, we also found out that the stage 2 clutch I paid for never got fitted and my old stage 1 was still in there which expalins why the clutch always slipped on the strip - tossers.....

I wish I'd never sold my old 1600 too, we were due to go down to the south of France in the bus in a few weeks and this has obviously put a stop to that. I'm starting to regret ever going down the big motor route - don't get me wrong, I love the speed but what's the point if the things off the road 6 months of the year (and isn't it always the nicer 6 months!)

Orb
Image

My Bus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7deu8L0ra4
PB 15.126 @ 83.26 mph EBI 2015


shawn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 2558
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:49 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by shawn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Orb I know how you feel - in fact you know what I was thinking not that long ago too. I still feel these guys haven't done a great job on the tuning but they did get me some more horsepower on the (only) positive side. The fact they got 135mph and revved it to 7150rpm without consulting me was a bit of a p!sstake, I mean he didn't ask me beforehand if the engine would be ok to that :evil: I had a sweet as hell 1500sp engine me and Paul rebuilt with new bearings, rings, lapped the valves in etc. that thing sang along beautifully all day long and was destined to be a spare to keep hold of. I sold it for £200 to a mate who needed an engine in order to sell his bus :roll: jim did tell me about your engine problems, i think i know who did the work too .....
At least I have my escort to fall back on if the bus has to come off the road to fully sort the running :lol: where will it end? :roll: :lol:
RHD '63 13 window deluxe
1989 BMW E30 M3

User avatar

vwJim
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member
Posts: 19740
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:05 pm
Location: under a bus in Hampshire...
Contact:

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by vwJim » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Love your signature Shawn, surely the Escort should have the bigger BHP numbers! :lol: :wink:
Supplying quality in house designed items plus parts from SyncLink, Kennedy Clutches, & CB Performance. Also fitting service including modifications & mechanical upgrades.

User avatar

Topic Author
tufty65
Registered user
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: Taunton, cider capital

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by tufty65 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:41 pm

shawn wrote:Orb I know how you feel - in fact you know what I was thinking not that long ago too. I still feel these guys haven't done a great job on the tuning but they did get me some more horsepower on the (only) positive side. The fact they got 135mph and revved it to 7150rpm without consulting me was a bit of a p!sstake, I mean he didn't ask me beforehand if the engine would be ok to that :evil: I had a sweet as hell 1500sp engine me and Paul rebuilt with new bearings, rings, lapped the valves in etc. that thing sang along beautifully all day long and was destined to be a spare to keep hold of. I sold it for £200 to a mate who needed an engine in order to sell his bus :roll: jim did tell me about your engine problems, i think i know who did the work too .....
At least I have my escort to fall back on if the bus has to come off the road to fully sort the running :lol: where will it end? :roll: :lol:
Proper hardcore that !! 135mph whaaaaat !!! 8) 8)

My motor has a rev limiter @ 6000 rpm at the minute have you thought about getting one just to be on the safe side?

Well I have re-routed what I can of the gauge hoseing, Just need to get more hose and tee pieces.
I also noticed my wastegate hose was kinked by the way I mounted it. So that came off and was spun 180 deg to free up the kink.
OFF 35
Et 12.64@106.25
http://www.offdrc.co.uk/

User avatar

Topic Author
tufty65
Registered user
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: Taunton, cider capital

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by tufty65 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Image
OFF 35
Et 12.64@106.25
http://www.offdrc.co.uk/


shawn
SSVC Member
SSVC Member
Posts: 2558
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:49 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by shawn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:15 am

Nice 8)
Have you anyone in mind to dyno it for you ?
Regarding my ecu, it does have a rev limiter set at 6999rpm, I guess the ruddy great backfire I heard was the limiter although it wasn't too accurate 8O
When's the first potter round the block then ? :wink:
RHD '63 13 window deluxe
1989 BMW E30 M3

User avatar

paul_f
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member
Posts: 6219
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:58 am
Location: Gillingham, Kent

Re: 2332cc to turbocharged/EFi build

Post by paul_f » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:26 am

shawn wrote: Regarding my ecu, it does have a rev limiter set at 6999rpm, I guess the ruddy great backfire I heard was the limiter although it wasn't too accurate 8O
Yes that will be the rev limiter.
You might find that the dyno speed wasn't quite aligned with the engine speed, and you always get a bit of overshoot on the rev limiter, and it would be more so on a dizzy based system such as yours as the engine speed calc only happens twice per rev
Image

Post Reply