Patina Or Paint?

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
X-F1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Patina Or Paint

Post by X-F1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Cheers LUCKY

Mate, you couldn't have picked any better examples to persuade me to paint it, Ive seen the two cool buses but the S.T. Engineering bus is new to me and that looks so classy!
This is the inspiration i need at he mo as i'm tripping over tonnes of stuff in the garage and not really making forward progress. Moving all the stuff from my workshop to my home garage was a mistake. I'm only scratching a few hours here and there as my better halfs nesting and about to deliver. So keep up with the replies as there driving me on!

AL

spike the paint

Re: Patina Or Paint

Post by spike the paint » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:01 pm

heres another one for ya paint paint paint :)
who wants usefulness or practicality in a vehicle as opposed to old, technologically outdated, unreliable, under powered, over priced "vans". They are not exactly the definition of "useful" under any circumstance
We drive/like these 'cause they just look cool. Nothing else.

Topic Author
X-F1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Twin Judson supercharged panel (Was Patina Or Paint?)

Post by X-F1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:25 pm

So I've changed the title as my mind is made up,

i'm going to smoke the bus around for a few months as is with all the new panels and underside protected. This should give me time to get the stance and the handling right. After this period she's going in the booth and then a vintage signwriters going to do his stuff!

Thanks for all your opinions they've all been really useful.

Next.

Quite a few years ago I bought two judson supercharger kits! One was almost N.O.S. the other a bit more used, I've been contemplating putting one on this bus to help the gt gearbox ratio's along and one on my other half's 1960 karmann ghia. I've always been worried that she'd forget to top up the marvel mystery oil (dont know why as she flies 737's) but i think you know where i'm coming from!

So I've had this idea of creating the twin supercharged bus for a bit of fun!

Here are the weapons of choice!

There's some vintage lubricators coming up for sale if anyone needs one!

Al

vanagonman

Post by vanagonman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:35 pm

I'd use a REAL blower if I was you. Not something like this. Those blowers were meager at best. Try getting one from a VW G60.

Topic Author
X-F1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by X-F1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:25 pm

vanagonman wrote:I'd use a REAL blower if I was you. Not something like this. Those blowers were meager at best. Try getting one from a VW G60.
Not really my style, i've been dealing with motors of upto 1000 bhp for sometime now and quite fancy some vintage power and messing. When you start to go modern your not long before you want an ecu and all the biz, I've done that so may times i'm bored with that!
Vintage rules for the mo! Julian Hunt's bus looked and sounded awesome to me when I saw it years ago.

I'd go as far as saying the most boring car I've ever fired up was the Mercedes-Benz powered Penske that stormed the INDI CART series years ago. It sounded like a bag of nails but obviously didn't go like one. And my favourite of all time was a TALBOT LAGO (think thats how you spelt it...) a former bosses son gave us a demonstration i'll never forget.

AL

Pucka

Post by Pucka » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:49 pm

X-F1 wrote: I'd go as far as saying the most boring car I've ever fired up was the Mercedes-Benz powered Penske that stormed the INDI CART series years ago. It sounded like a bag of nails but obviously didn't go like one. And my favourite of all time was a TALBOT LAGO (think thats how you spelt it...) a former bosses son gave us a demonstration i'll never forget.

AL
Your ex Ilmor / Mercedes then :wink:

JMR 2110cc '61 15 Window Deluxe

RUSTY DUB KLUB

Topic Author
X-F1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by X-F1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Pucka wrote:
X-F1 wrote: I'd go as far as saying the most boring car I've ever fired up was the Mercedes-Benz powered Penske that stormed the INDI CART series years ago. It sounded like a bag of nails but obviously didn't go like one. And my favourite of all time was a TALBOT LAGO (think thats how you spelt it...) a former bosses son gave us a demonstration i'll never forget.

AL
Your ex Ilmor / Mercedes then :wink:
Yeah, you got it chap, many memorable ilmor days, best two bosses in the world! Plus they knew how to throw a real party!

lucky

Post by lucky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:23 pm

Was it this type?

but as beautiful as that is, i prefer a proper talbot! :wink:

"I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods". Damn right baby! ;-)

Topic Author
X-F1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by X-F1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:00 am

lucky wrote:Was it this type?
This was the car! Even if you dont like the look, name or whatever i'm sure you'd like the sound!

Pucka

Post by Pucka » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:53 am

X-F1 wrote:
Yeah, you got it chap, many memorable ilmor days, best two bosses in the world! Plus they knew how to throw a real party!
Indeed, I did work experience at Ilmor 17 years ago, I now supply them with parts.

JMR 2110cc '61 15 Window Deluxe

RUSTY DUB KLUB

Topic Author
X-F1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by X-F1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:27 am

Well,

Finally at 04.00 on Friday Mrs.King went into full blown labour and at 05.36 our beautiful baby boy was delivered :wave: . What a superb moment and as a proud dad of a girl and boy I just couldn't be happier. I'm now struggling for a name for the little fella as the misses said she felt the same as when she carried our daughter so the old thinker's in overdrive! :idea:

What do ya reckon, we've got to set up a child trust fund, I just cant stop thinking rare parts or a splitty would earn better interest than the poor returns offered by the banks. At times i think i've been in this seen to long! :D

Al

P.s I'll try and get back on the panel soon!

robmccreedie
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by robmccreedie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 pm

X-F1 wrote:Well,

I'm now struggling for a name for the little fella as the misses said she felt the same as when she carried our daughter so the old thinker's in overdrive! :idea:
congratulations.

in keeping with the thread how about Ritz? :lol:

Dai
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dai » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Congratulations dude! :cheers:

Twin blowers, are you thinking one belt for them or 2? Just picturing locations for them, I'm imagining something im line with the inlet manifolds for twin carbs, so quite a wide setup with a shorter inlet? 8)
In the pub after Hessisch.

23A
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 23A » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:58 pm

..great idea on a SUPERB looking van ( KEEP THE PATINA!) .. :D 8)
( Of course, there'd be WAY more room for twin blowers in a BD... :wink: :twisted: )
Image Image
http://www.earlyvw.com

..now an agent for Butty's Bits ..

Topic Author
X-F1
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by X-F1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks for the congratulations by PM and on the thread :cheers: