Another '65 SO42

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
ratbark

Another '65 SO42

Post by ratbark » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:11 pm

Hi Folks.

Im Mark, and this is my first post on here.

Ive recently imported a '65 SO42 from Cal (like a few other people it would seem :D ).

I would post some pictures on here but i aint quite got to grips with it, yet.

It's got it's share of stories to tell, mainly in the shape of dents, dings and an old passport I found stuffed behind the dash! (along with a parachutist log, birth certificate and some old bank notes!!)

Im hoping to have it MOT'd and registered by the end of November but not have it fully restored until next year. I might need to be picking peoples brains every know and then, if thats ok?

Well thats me,

Cheers

Mark.

uffy

Post by uffy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:18 pm

welcome mark there seems to be quite a few so-42's around and here was me thinking they might be rareish :? good luck with the resto and the mot.
mine came from virginia and has travelled all over nova scotia we have the map of the route they took and the log book is so cool. we also found some strange cocoon things inside the poptop and under the dash and in the doors :shock: but now it's as clean as a whistle.
if it ain't broke don't fix it

snowman
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by snowman » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:43 pm

WELCOME :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:04 pm

Hiya and welcome bud !

bigbulli
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by bigbulli » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:27 pm

Hey Mark welcome, look forward to the pictures of your bus. I too have an SO-42. It came from Boston, MASS. Went to California before ending up in Floride. They are still quite rare over here in England so it will be great to see another one at a show.

iesugrist

Post by iesugrist » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:47 pm

Being a nosey moo feel free to email me your pics and I'll pop em on here for you if you wish! :)

iesugrist@yahoo.com

Topic Author
ratbark

Post by ratbark » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:41 am

Cheers for all your welcoming replies.

Mine has travelled around a bit by the looks of it. It actually started out for the German "home" market, then went to South New Mexico. After spending years down there, being naturally faded and desert sand blasted, it then made it's way across America to North Carolina, being registered in Alabahma(sp*) along the way.

Uffy- Ive got some strange silver looking things in the engine bay, could be wasp or Spiders nest/egg type things :shock: Eeeeuuuuurrrrrghhh!
Just waiting to see what other delights Im going to find when I take the interior out next week.

Iesugrist- I'll mail you the pictures, how many do you want??? Got plenty, including a kinda arty farty one I took of the front end.

Shaun- Sarah, my girlfriend, loves the colour of your bus, which colour is it? I thought it was Turkis Blue but your answer could make me look a bit of a fool, and make her laugh at me like Im an idiot!

Ive been waiting for almost 2 years now to go to shows in a bus, and next year is going to be a good one. Looking forward to meeting everyone at various shows.

Is anyone going to Slough swapmeet this weekend?

My apologies for waffling on!

Cheers folks

Mark

iesugrist

Post by iesugrist » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:45 pm

send as many as you want.. I'll put them in my hosting place and link them here for you :)

iesugrist@yahoo.com

:)

iesugrist

Post by iesugrist » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:21 am

iesugrist

Post by iesugrist » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:25 am

iesugrist

Post by iesugrist » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:28 am

23A
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Another '65 SO42

Post by 23A » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:10 am

[quote="ratbark"]

It's got it's share of stories to tell, mainly in the shape of dents, dings and an old passport I found stuffed behind the dash! (along with a parachutist log, birth certificate and some old bank notes!!)....

..nice finds- tell us more!!. Its always worth searching every nook & cranny; i found a pair of BRAND NEW ( if slightly rust-stained) SKODA mud flaps behind my internal long panel!!(...any offers!!;))....
have fun & WELCOME... 8)
Image Image
http://www.earlyvw.com

..now an agent for Butty's Bits ..

Topic Author
ratbark

Post by ratbark » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:58 pm

First of all, many thanks to iesugrist for posting my pics, i really owe you one.

Some other things I found in the bus were:

A genuine leather cowboy hat and a new panama type hat, which I donated to my dad!!

2 red tartan metal flasks with matching tin. One of them has rusted a little on the base but look quite cool.

Lots of dead spiders, a classic american beer bottle opener and a 77bhp standard 1600 AE lump with 12 volts!

Mind you, I dread to think of what Im gonna find when we strip the interior out.

Skoda mudflaps?????????? Now there's a rarity.

Cheers

Mark.