Barndoor Single cab.....

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
Dai
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Barndoor Single cab.....

Post by Dai » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:32 pm

Well, the time is coming to spend winter in the shed building mah' truck!!! :lol: :lol: Not too much to do on this one, so I'll be taking it easy compared to the '53. Havent quite decided what style to go, dropped or stock for next year. Depends how it goes, much the same as the '53.

Some pics of it since I got it...

So, best get the welder warmed up again then!!! :lol:
In the pub after Hessisch.

gingerdog

Post by gingerdog » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:13 pm

I'm not sure I can take much more of this Dai.... 1st a stock height one 8O and then .... a shiney one 8O 8O :D are you alright? :lol:

Look forward to seeing this one done :)
SBS #31 UK

152 ponies at the wheels.......and I killed them all

nick
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by nick » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:32 am

i want one.....looks great....

Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Byron Bamboo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:41 am

Excellent stuff...

Is it lowered? :? shame :P :D

What you need is an OG gearbox... that'll sort ya out!..

EDIT: I remember now.. it was IRS'd wasn't it.. by the last owner
The Gaffa Tape Tour 2007

'58 RHD PGSG Microbus

Rusty Lee
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Rusty Lee » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:49 am

that is cool

Topic Author
Dai
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dai » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:34 am

Yep, i know, it is a little shiny compared to pretty much everything else ive owned!! :lol:

I was going to keep it dropped and do the monster engine thing, but as the IRS can go up to pretty much stock, im thinking of going the 'alternate' modded route, looking as stock as it can, but able to cruise at about 75 due to IRS, 1303s gearbox and 16's.... 8) So, if anyone has any cheap tilt and bows taking up space, give me a shout!! :wink:

Still collecting some parts I need for it, got to order some panels, and.... Hmmm, what tyres to go for......??!! :lol: Think i'll go for alternative 16's again, I'm still too tight for Avon Tourists and Dunlop C18's!!!!

Some Klassicfab panels have been sourced for it, and they are top quality, Cheers Chris and Gerson! Also got some bits sent from a nice chap in Portugal :wink:

The front end was pretty much sorted by the previous owner, its running post '55 spindles and brakes with the link pins machined down to fit in BD trailing arms, so now has bigger brakes. The steering pin on the beam has been moved to the bottom tube, so in theory, if I jack it back to stock height, I shouldnt have any problems with the track rods fouling anything like the gear linkage. The king and links on it have been reconditioned too, so no probs there. For the back end, I might switch to type 3 brakes on the IRS so they are a little bit larger than the type 1 ones... which are already a little bit larger than barndoor. 8)

Chassis has been boxed front to rear, so its a pretty strong truck base, thats a good thing as it is going to get used to carry a lot of stuff from the farm!! :lol: So, a couple of extra braces will be going in, might add some removeable trapeze bars to the frame horns, and triangulate up to the pick up bed from the torsion tube too for added peace of mind. Means that I can add a towbar without worrying about stressing the old dear too much. Now then, cheap radials.... :wink:

silversteve
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by silversteve » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:27 pm

keep us posted Dai!

vwbuzzers
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by vwbuzzers » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:01 am

Bloody hell Dai your place is turning into the barndoor resto centre of the world(or at least wales). Looks far to easy of a resto for your skills.

Scotty
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Scotty » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:22 pm

streetwagens wrote:im thinking of going the 'alternate' modded route, looking as stock as it can
Oh dear, you really have got to sort that affliction out soon Dai, get the thing slammed you big girl! :lol:

Topic Author
Dai
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dai » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 pm

Scotty wrote:
streetwagens wrote:im thinking of going the 'alternate' modded route, looking as stock as it can
Oh dear, you really have got to sort that affliction out soon Dai, get the thing slammed you big girl! :lol:
At least i'll be granted permission to get in to 'vintage' VW displays!! :P :lol: even if its running a TDi engine! :lol:

Buzzers, What skills?! :lol: I just cant afford to buy ones that work, thats all! :wink:

Silversteve, cheers again for your help in getting hold of this old warrior, it is much appreciated dude. 8)

Topic Author
Dai
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dai » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:33 pm

Picking up some panels for this at Slough swapmeet on the weekend, so hopefully should see some progress the weekend after. Got to juggle some things around in the barn/workshop to be able to work on it too, so I might have a go at getting that sorted this weekend before I head off for Slough, have to see how the time goes. :?

I need a horn button of some description for it if someone has one kicking about, dont think I really need many more parts apart from time on it!!!! :lol:

Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Byron Bamboo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:44 pm

You'll be collecting a gearbox for it aswell hopefully :wink:
The Gaffa Tape Tour 2007

'58 RHD PGSG Microbus

Topic Author
Dai
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dai » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:16 pm

54DoubleDoor wrote:You'll be collecting a gearbox for it aswell hopefully :wink:
Yarp!! 8) Im sure it'll fit in a VW fox!! :lol:

23A
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 23A » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:00 pm

..GETTIN', Dai!- thanks for the chat ; back on a + track, & running on Gas.
Speak to you/see you soon.. :D 8)
Image Image
http://www.earlyvw.com

..now an agent for Butty's Bits ..

Topic Author
Dai
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Dai » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:16 pm

No worries dude. 8) See you soon. :wink: