64 sea blue/blue white Deluxe.

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
sinclair

64 sea blue/blue white Deluxe.

Post by sinclair » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:00 pm

Just as my last project (63 turkis kombi) is completed... I sold it. Fickle! I hear you say and you're right. But just as I go into my usual no bus panic even before it's gone. I spotted this 65 deluxe not far from me and owned by club members and lovely couple Mark & Klara since it's import from Cali in 2005. Something drew me to it, full history from its US owner 1973-2005 documents everything including fuel fill ups and mpg from 29k miles to 498k miles, so yes it's been round the clock 5 times! The only welding is a short sill and front sill closing plates.I have to admit this bus just felt right immediately, in fact even before I viewed it. So here we go again, maybe at last I've found my keeper. Currently on reduction boxes and a 1776 motor. Not got a full plan yet but it's had a long history of clocking up camping miles both here and the US and that's what we want to continue. So simple reliability and functionality are the key. Here's Mark and Klara's ad. (thanks guys)
It's that time where we have to say a sad goodbye to Rosie to fund another equally fantastic bus.
Over the last 11 years she's never let us down, and taken us on many amazing holidays down to Cornwall, and on our honeymoon around the Lake District.
She was owned from the early 70's by a cool guy in San Diego who was a craftsman / artisan, who uses her every day as his work van, and holiday bus.
He took his entire family from down in Mexico, through Colorado and Arizona, all the way up to Canada.
When we got her, she came with a satchel full of receipts for work he did on her, plus the mileage at each point (that will go with her).
We found him after we bought it, as he hadn't moved since the early 70's, and became really good friends - he was in his late 60's by that point.
He sent us pics of him and his family camping in her in the 70's (I'll send you the pics). We met his daughter, now grown up, who recounted many happy memories travelling in her.

Here is a link to my OneDrive account with pictures and video walkarounds of the bus, plus pictures from when it was in California in the 70's.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgaqR1vp3srxhCLo3UTJAZY7KjLj

It is a solid honest bus. It isn't perfect, and needs some light cosmetic work, and this is reflected in the price.

The Headlines:
Passed MOT every year - 8 month ticket on at the moment
San Diego documented history from 1973
All bodywork original, never been restored - a good, honest van (no nightmares hidden behind a shiny respray)
Full waxoyl underneath
Fitted with crossover early Bay, ball-joint, beam - new ball joints fitted June 2016
Full width rock and roll bed
1776 with twin Weber IDF 40 carbs - approx 85bhp (built by Laurie Petite and fitted in 2011)
External oil cooler
Vintage Speed exhaust
Still on reduction boxes.
New clutch fitted in May 2016
Brake system (Dual port master cylinder, hoses, slave cylinders etc.) replaced with new in June 2016.
Full rewire in 2007
Overhead gauges for both batteries, oil pressure and temp
Full leisure circuit (240v/12v sockets) charged through Sterling battery to battery charger - including 240v hookup socket.
12v discreet led, switched lighting in the roof
Waeco MDC-50 fridge built into full size cupboards, with beech worktop
Skytag tracker fitted
Comes with a day awning for the cargo doors, and a deluxe Protec full cover with side opening access.
Last edited by sinclair on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
13 deluxe microbus

MarkyMark7890

Re: 65 sea blue/blue white Deluxe.

Post by MarkyMark7890 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:27 pm

Thanks for promising to look after Rosie.
She was very much loved, and looked after us for 11 years.
I hope you can give her the love and care she deserves, and enjoy her as we have.

Topic Author
sinclair

Re: 64 sea blue/blue white Deluxe.

Post by sinclair » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Initial test pits of an obsessive cleaner/polisher confirm this really is a solid old bus!
Last edited by sinclair on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
13 deluxe microbus

jetlag

Post by jetlag » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:02 pm

Just an aside, the worktop is maple, hand-made, not beech lol

It's still very weird to think that she is not ours anymore (and to see her listed in someone else's signature), but I do believe that Sinclair will take good care of her and give her the improvements we couldn't, having had to spend a huge amount of money on our new house (and still having too!).
Next to being shot at and missed, there's nothing so satisfying as an income tax refund.

67ben
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by 67ben » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Cool bus what are your plans for it ?
54 Kombi

Topic Author
sinclair

Post by sinclair » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:32 pm

67ben wrote:Cool bus what are your plans for it ?
First plan. Find a bus I connect with! Sounds silly but I've had loads, never a keeper for all sorts of reasons. This one has so much history and I'm a sucker for a good story. I had hoped to scrape back the baby blue paint to expose the OG sea blue, but unsurprisingly since it's been petty solid for 11+ UK years it seems the respray was a well prepped job. OG paint irretrievable.
So.....Sympathetic full respray I guess. Not looking for radical with this one. Just a good classic late deluxe, with an old style but very usable weekender/day van interior.
13 deluxe microbus

Topic Author
sinclair

Post by sinclair » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:54 pm

New salt & pepper seat covers and coco hair seat pads.
Wasn't too happy with the drivers seat cover, a bit baggy, until I sussed it was supposed to be the passenger back rest.... Doh! It's looking better now.
13 deluxe microbus

Topic Author
sinclair

Post by sinclair » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:18 pm

The latest test pit. An hour with the Stanley blade and T-cut to remove the two pack from the dash. Lovely blue white original exposed but it going to be a real labour of love, I really want to expose as much original paint as I can, whatever its condition.
Last edited by sinclair on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 deluxe microbus

MarkyMark7890

Post by MarkyMark7890 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm so glad she's gone to someone that's taking such good care of her.
I'm excited to see how she finally scrubs up; I suspect that will take some time, but will be well worth the effort.

Topic Author
sinclair

Post by sinclair » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:54 pm

Oh no. Responsibly! :)
Also fitted some cheap 165/60/14 tyres to level it up a bit in the hope I can get in the garage. It's all temporary but the more I look at the 14" steels the more I like them. Starting to think I might keep them and maybe offset the rims an inch or so for more tuck up front.
Note the exploratory patch on the front arch, it was a thorough repaint job back then so no reclaiming the original paint. However it's kept the old bus sound and apart from door skins and a short sill tweak it's very much as Mark knew and advertised... solid.
13 deluxe microbus

silversteve
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by silversteve » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:18 pm

Nice bus mate

Topic Author
sinclair

Post by sinclair » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:21 pm

silversteve wrote:Nice bus mate
Thanks, the door gaps say it all.
13 deluxe microbus

Topic Author
sinclair

Post by sinclair » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:38 pm

I seem to have been distracted with my beetles recently so back to the bus. I've been amassing parts but took the rest of the cargo floor up today. Only one repair to deal with above the rear jacking point, the front seam is fine.
13 deluxe microbus

Topic Author
sinclair

Post by sinclair » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Down at Dr Ferdinands for some sympathetic work. I'm keen to keep as much original metal as I can so I'm saying no to replacement panels and going back to good old repairs, that's keyhole surgery on the jacking point. And an insert in the battery tray to keep any existing good metal.

Nice work Rob :-)
Last edited by sinclair on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
13 deluxe microbus

Topic Author
sinclair

Post by sinclair » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Back on the streets with full Transporterhaus running gear. That's 4" early bay needle roller, castor adjustable beam. Dropped ball joint spindles and adjustable spingplates an a straight axle. Ride is very good and the revs dropped right down now.
Wheels are probably temporary while I get the stock set painted.
Last edited by sinclair on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 deluxe microbus