Veronica’s Woes: A Tale of Two Restos for our ‘67 RHD Walkthrough Split

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

clymoj

Re: Veronica’s Woes: A Tale of Two Restos for our ‘67 RHD Walkthrough Split

Post by clymoj » Mon May 01, 2017 8:01 am

This looks great, worth the heartaches along the way I hope

rikki james
SSVC Committee Member
SSVC Committee Member

Post by rikki james » Mon May 01, 2017 11:37 am

Epic people doing epic work, resulting in an epic bus!!! Well done to all involved and rightly so got the results at the SSVC AGM. '

Topic Author
wheatywheels

Post by wheatywheels » Tue May 02, 2017 5:26 pm

rikki james wrote:Epic people doing epic work, resulting in an epic bus!!! Well done to all involved and rightly so got the results at the SSVC AGM. '
Thanks Rikki and Clymoj.

WHAT A WEEKEND - the stuff dreams are made of!!

What an amazing weekend we have just had. We took our newly restored bus ‘Veronica’ up to Vic Farm and Stanford Hall. The bus performed beautifully, with no issues at all. We also entered Veronica into the SSVC resto line up and Concours at Stanford Hall.

Both days were just incredible with good sunny weather. We were absolutely thrilled to win the SSVC Van of the Year award, the Best Interior trophy and get placed 3rd in the resto judging.

Any of you who were there and met me in the line ups, saw us pick up Van of the Year or lead the Sunday convoy to Stanford Hall will know how overwhelmed I was to see our restored bus so well received.

Thanks must go from Helen and I to Beresford Bodytech for the resto and paint, to Mark Quarrell and all the guys and girls who helped but most of all to Jersey John TC for all of his help on the bus.

Being awarded the Van of the Year trophy that he made at the AGM was just special. His inspiration, hard work and skills to turn out or Retro Devon Spaceway interior are just beyond words. Huge thanks go to John and family for helping to make it possible. But somehow these words are not enough.

Thanks also to all of you that came over to say hi and the group that we were with. Celebrating the bus’s 50th and the SSVC win like this with good friends was just brilliant.

And finally a big well done to Alan Schofield for his beautifully restored Samba that did so well at Stanford Hall, winning the Splitscreen classs and Restoration of the Year with SSVC. Well done Alan you are a gent with a great Samba.

It was lovely to just get used to everything and sleep in the van for the first time in 14 months – this time down in the middle of the bus, rather than up on the back on our old Dormobile rock n roll type bed. Waking up in the bus with the new interior and décor was awesome – just SO gorgeous. It made us feel like the Bus was once more the Devon she used to be years ago.

Heading for home - the long trip to Stanford hall starts with the ferry with John TC from Jersey to Portsmouth

First night in the 'new' bus :D

The SSVC Vic farm resto line up - what a great display this year

Happy 50th to Veronica (the bus), Carl and Nick

Proud as punch :D :D

Last edited by wheatywheels on Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Life is a journey made better with a bus or two
1967 RHD Walkthrough 2nd Splitty Resto - AKA 'Veronica' - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=117648.
http://www.aircooledkonnection.com

Topic Author
wheatywheels

Post by wheatywheels » Tue May 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Icing on the cake!

Winning SSVC Van of the Year and Best Interior with my mate John TC AND then getting to lead the splitty convoy from Vic Farm to Stanford Hall was just so special. Thanks to everyone involved for making our weekend so incredible. It has helped make the sheer hard work of the resto and all the costs so worthwhile. Thanks to Eddy and the committee for putting on another classy weekend.

I am glad the convoy was good and tight. Keeping it to 20mph all the way was tough but the views in the mirror, the memories and pics made it all worth it. Thanks to Daz, Lisa and Ciera Adams for coming with us and sharing the fun.

The joy of the day was only marred by Stanford marshals and Hall officials who didn’t want me to lead the convoy down into the grounds because I had the wrong pass and ignored the SSVC pre-arrangements. It became a bit heated and I’m embarrassed about that, but as soon as I got them to radio through they suddenly seemed to realise it was all ok.

I’m also still concerned about the way that some people feel it necessary to behave badly and short cut the convoy, thus ruining the impact of the prize winners arriving down the drive with a superb convoy behind, to park up at the front. But I won’t wash our dirty washing in public too much and I’ll direct that to the right place.

Being overtaken by a rather large tractor was a hilarious moment and we had an incredible day in the Concours line up right by the lake.

All in all, it was an unforgettable weekend. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by wheatywheels on Fri May 05, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

1967 RHD Walkthrough 2nd Splitty Resto - AKA 'Veronica' - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=117648.

Topic Author
wheatywheels

Post by wheatywheels » Thu May 04, 2017 6:33 am

The last few pics from our big weekend and the end of the resto thread (at least for now)

In the resto line up at Vic Farm

First night in the bus for 14 months and all set up ready for camping, gorgeous!!

On the Vic Farm to Stanford Hall convoy:

And in the Concours line up at Stanford Hall

A proud day 

And that's about it for Veronica's resto. It has been incredible, expensive and stressful at times with a few woes along the way BUT immensely rewarding and after 17 years of owning our 67 bus Veronica, she has celebrated her 50th birthday in style with a big weekend, so have I and we can enjoy her now for the years to come. Thanks everyone for all the help, advice and comments along the way.
Carlos

John TC
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by John TC » Thu May 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Well done Carlos :cheers:

------------------------------1956 RHD Kombi.------------------------------
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82512
---------------------------------Aka Bucket-----------------------------------

oilyragg

Post by oilyragg » Thu May 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Congrats Carlos lovely bus.

Topic Author
wheatywheels

Post by wheatywheels » Fri May 05, 2017 8:18 am

wheatywheels wrote:Getting ready in Jersey was cool but 3 busses getting ready in UK is so much closer.

Hurrah, we did it and we are off to Viccy Farm today

Getting ready top and bottom

Heading for home - the long trip to Stanford hall starts with the ferry with John TC from Jersey to Portsmouth

And now unloaded, packed for campaign and ready to go from home
Carlos

Topic Author
wheatywheels

Post by wheatywheels » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:45 pm

[quote="wheatywheels"]A Moving Day

In midweek we were finally ready to move the bus from the fabrication and paint shop to the to the mechanics workshop where a few of us would get together to build Veronica back up. This was a big day as it was the first time I had seen my two colours together, and after a light colour sanding and polish. I was not disappointed!

I wasn’t there to see Veronica leave Andover but I finished work to see her arrive and just dodge the drizzle. What a day

Carlos

John TC
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by John TC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:40 am

Superb Bus

------------------------------1956 RHD Kombi.------------------------------
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82512
---------------------------------Aka Bucket-----------------------------------

type21f
SSVC Member