Errol, the '56 Single Cab

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Errol, the '56 Single Cab

Post by Who.Me? » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Thanks Ade.

The driver's side locks with a key. Passenger side is locked by pushing the inside handle forward.

The Samba has a good resource with scans of the original handbooks.

This is the August '58 manual... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/man ... g58bus.php

This is the December '58 one... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/man ... _58bus.php

The 'one key' bit is the same as the bit in the manual for my '56, so yours should be the same. Do you not have a keyhole on the driver's side?

vaughan

Post by vaughan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks for the info.mine doesn't have any locks on either door so must have been changed at some point.
Hopefully on the road soon :)
Keep up the good work on the thread
Ade

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:54 pm

Fitted a set year-correct repro bubble tail lights. These came from Doug (vdouglu) on The Samba. The quality is very good, especially the lenses. I had a chance to check out an OG pair on the VW Heritage single cab a few weeks back and the lenses look at least as good as the originals. I'm really pleased with them.

Before...
DSC_1235.JPG
After...
DSC_1684-001.JPG
The reflectors aren't correct, but they'll do for now.

I can't explain why the '57-on tail lights bugged me so much, but I'm much happer with these.

I also gave the underside a good soaking with diluted phosphoric acid to convert the surface rust. Iron phosphate, much better than Iron oxide. :D

Just after spraying...
DSC_1682.JPG
Later this evening...
DSC_1687.JPG
Again, just after spraying...
DSC_1678.JPG
And several hours later...
DSC_1694.JPG
The black is Iron phosphate where the acid has done its job. The white stuff is a mixture of excess acid that has dried and the remnants of plaster that caked the underside when I got it. The plaster fizzes nicely when the acid hits it. The excess that drips off also does a good job of cleaning a concrete garage floor :)

I'll get rid of the excess dried acid with another spritz of dilute acid to reactivate it, then pressure wash it off. I found that worked well in the engine bay, when I had the engine out.
Last edited by Who.Me? on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyzel

Post by Tyzel » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:01 am

Who.Me? wrote:Fitted a set year-correct repro bubble tail lights. These came from Doug (vdouglu) on The Samba. The quality is very good, especially the lenses. I had a chance to check out an OG pair on the VW Heritage single cab a few weeks back and the lenses look at least as good as the originals. I'm really pleased with them.

Before...

After...

The reflectors aren't correct, but they'll do for now.

I can't explain why the '57-on tail lights bugged me so much, but I'm much happer with these.
Looks nice, I was wondering about the quality of Doug's lights, they look nice in his ad. I will be doing the same thing soon on my 56 by adding correct rear lights and reflectors, although the later 58-61 lights that are on it don't bother me to much. I will have to find a correct decklid also. Looks like you need to locate the holes for your bumpers for the gate also. Keep up the good work on it and continue to enjoy it!!

Here's mine
Attachments
IMG_3976.jpg

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:01 am

Tyzel wrote:
Looks nice, I was wondering about the quality of Doug's lights, they look nice in his ad. I will be doing the same thing soon on my 56 by adding correct rear lights and reflectors, although the later 58-61 lights that are on it don't bother me to much. I will have to find a correct decklid also. Looks like you need to locate the holes for your bumpers for the gate also. Keep up the good work on it and continue to enjoy it!!

Here's mine
Nice truck.

I was most impressed by the lenses on Doug's lights. They look flawless. The logos and lens pattern are nice and clear and the plastic is seriously thick.

The support bracket that he supplies must be a bit longer than VW's original as the parts manual says it uses M5 x 35mm screws, but I had to use 55mm. No biggie and that's the only way I can fault them at the moment - he should ship them with the correct screws. His barndoor sets show the screws as part of the kit, so I'm surprised there weren't any with these. Meant I couldn't just go straight out and fit them.

Glad I bought them before Brexit though. :roll:

Re the rear buffers - '56s had 25mm buffers low down on the rear panel, very close in to the edges of the deck lid. Can't find any evidence of buffers on the rear gate, but I've found the holes for the ones low down on the rear panel. When the previous owner plastered the rear with filler, it squeezed through the holes, so it was easy to find the correct position for the reflectors and the buffers. Just need someone over here to get 25mm buffers in stock - they all only seem to have longer ones for the side gates.

Tyzel

Post by Tyzel » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks! Seeing trucks like yours makes me want to take it back to stock I'll admit. Mine is lowered but not slammed by any means so I can still haul stuff in the back without issues but still go 70/75 down the freeway which is nice. Thanks for the feedback on the lights, maybe I'll see if he can send some screws with them, if not no worries. A friend just picked up a set of reflectors for me, slightly cracked but the price is right, free, so can't complain there :) Like you my corners have some filler so locating the holes for the bumpers is no biggie as it's squeezed through also, I'll also have to pick up the correct bumpers as I have the larger ones on the rear gate, it's been changed out for a latter one but it'll stay as it's in real good shape. Welding up a couple holes down the road is no biggie when that time comes. I enjoy your thread so keep the updates coming!!!

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Just come back from hols, but before I went, I made some progress on a job that I started ages ago.

I built a box...
DSC_1726.JPG
That goes in here...
DSC_1729.JPG
And slides out like this...
DSC_1730.JPG
The 'Treasure chest' storage locker is a great idea, but stuff slides around in there if it's left loose and it's a pain in the bum reaching stuff that has slid to the far side. Heavy stuff dents the body and fragile stuff gets broken, so if we pick up any shopping when we're out and about it either has to go loose on the load bed or crammed in the cab with us.

The box is made of 9mm WBP ply and scrap wood that I had lying around. The longitudinal dividers are fixed to give support to the floor, but the transverse ones are designed to come out, so I can change the configuration depending on what I need to carry in there.

It hangs from rails made from steel channel that are suspended from the spine beams under the load bed, so it won't trap water against the floor and I can slide it in and out as needed.
DSC_0998.JPG
Before it's finished, I'll add a couple more supports/guides inside the box, adjust the side rails to raise the box a little more, and fit a spring bolt to lock it in place, so it won't side out
Last edited by Who.Me? on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

busbug

Post by busbug » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:05 pm

very nice single cab mate and love the treasure chest draw, will you be adding a locking type device so it is secure and not sliding on the rails whilst driving ?
i will take this idea and use it in my 61 as i think its a great idea for keeping the floor free from moister as you were saying.
keep up the good work
SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND

FIND AND STICK IT IN YOUR GARAGE FOR A FEW YEARS

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks. It works quite well.

I'm going to fit a spring gate bolt to the front of the box and drill a hole in the side channel for it to engage with. That will stop it sliding toward the treasure chest door. At the back, there's a bolt running top to bottom through each of the C-channels that stops it hitting the far wall.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:53 pm

Think I've managed to fill in a couple of blanks on the history of my truck.

I'd tried Googling the name that Dave at Peninsula Automotive gave me a few times and had a likely address that I wrote to, but got no reply.

Errol's 60th birthday is coming up on Saturday, so I thought I'd see if I could find any more info online.

I Googled the likely address, but the images are from 2015, so obviously didn't show anything, but then I remembered that Streetview has a timeline slider that allows you to look at older images.

The title that I got with the truck (sale from Dave to Bob at BBT) was dated October 2008. Streetview had images for October 2007 and April 2008, so I had a look and...

So I had a closer look...

And in later images it was gone.

Shiny blue bullet-indicator truck with black bedliner outside the likely address before the date on Dave's title document. Looks like a match and looks to confirm what Dave had said about how he came by the truck.

Dave also said that the woman who sold him the truck said it had been her father's from new. Some further Google searches suggested a likely name. Still don't know for sure what he might have used it for, but what info I found online makes me think it was a personal vehicle, rather than used for a business, which might explain how it survived so intact.

Maybe oneday I'll find out some more.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

60 today

Post by Who.Me? » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:49 am

DSC_1789.JPG
DSC_1791-001.JPG
Last edited by Who.Me? on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

busbug

Post by busbug » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 pm

I hope I look that good at 60 :)
congratulations Bob :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:
SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND

FIND AND STICK IT IN YOUR GARAGE FOR A FEW YEARS

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:16 pm

Well winter's here and I had an unexpected free day on Saturday, so I decided to take the opportunity and spend the day pulling the engine and transmission. Took me five hours as I've never pulled a transmission before, but it had to come out so I could sort the leaky nose cone bushes and fit the new nose cone mount. I need to clean everything up under there first and treat some surface rust though.

There's a lot of space back there with the big bits gone.
DSC_1850.JPG
Tranny out.
DSC_1848.JPG

Found a leaking rear wheel cylinder (the only cylinder that I didn't replace in 2014/15), so I'll be replacing that and the rear shoes. Also uncovered a couple more bodges. Someone welded the rear coupler together -
DSC_1853.JPG
And the hockey stick has been messed with. Someone has ground away part of the shaft at the bend -
DSC_1866.JPG
The wheel cylinder and coupler are easy to replace, but does anyone have any experience with the repro hockey sticks that are out there (or have a good used original)?
Last edited by Who.Me? on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Took the gearbox nose cone to a local machine shop to have custom bushes made. The off the shelf ones that I bought feel too sloppy and they act as the oil seal on this nose cone type (no rubber seal), so I want them snug.

Pulled the front and middle shift rods so I could clean the crud off the underside where the rod got in the way and so I could replace the M-spring in the front rod. Had to cut the coupler - it did not want to budge.
DSC_1880.JPG
While I was at it, I undid the metal straps and removed the heater tube wrap. Gave it a clean with the pressure washer as it was caked in crud that falls on me when I'm working under it. The right hand bit hadn't yet been cleaned in this pic...
DSC_1881.JPG
The heater tube looks good as new.
DSC_1892.JPG
Last edited by Who.Me? on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 am

Fitted my re-bushed nosecone and painted the gearbox and axles over the weekend. The machine shop had to make up bushings as the snout of the nosecone itself was worn. Not a cheap fix, but there's no slop in the hockey stick movement now.

Decided to go with grey paint for the gearbox.
DSC_1961.JPG
Got the horns, cradle and torsion tube etc cleaned up a couple of weeks ago.
DSC_1915.JPG
Need to get some time to get underneath and give it a good scrub while the gear rods and heater tube wrap are off. Once I've scrubbed it I'll treat it with phosphoric again then start to think about what to use to preserve the original finish. From what I've seen and read, my truck predates the use of primer on the underside. That bronze colour on the heater tube in the pictures above is the original finish and it's still there across most of the underside. I'm thinking about using a homebrew linseed oil and paraffin wax recipe that I've found in a few places online. My only problem is that I don't have a compressor to spray it.
Last edited by Who.Me? on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.