Errol, the '56 Single Cab

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Re: Errol, the '56 Single Cab

Post by Who.Me? » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am

Finally got round to wax rust proofing the underside.

I bought a kit from Rust Buster that uses a hand-held cordless airless sprayer like you'd use for spraying a fence. The wax dries clear and has a degree of self-healing if stones etc hit the underside.

After...

Before, after spraying with phosphric acid...

And this was what it looked like when I got it...

Wasn't sure how that was going to work out, but I'm pleased with the results. I've been holding off putting the transmission back in until I'd got that done. It'll make working under there more pleasant.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun May 28, 2017 4:39 pm

Worked my bum off for the last couple of weekends and too may evenings to get the gearbox back in and everything roadworthy so Errol would be ready for Plum Jam 2017. He lives! (again).

Our first show and it was a brilliant day...

DSC_0723.JPG
DSC_0198-001.JPG
36-DSC05907.jpg
Side by side with VW Heritage's '56...
DSC_0202-001.JPG
Great family show...
51-DSC05922.jpg
25-DSC05896.jpg
58-DSC05929.jpg
59-DSC05930.jpg
40-DSC05911.jpg
Last edited by Who.Me? on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John TC
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by John TC » Sun May 28, 2017 5:30 pm

enjoyed the read :cheers: can't beat an early bus

------------------------------1956 RHD Kombi.------------------------------
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82512
---------------------------------Aka Bucket-----------------------------------

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun May 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks. Reading back, it reminds me of how much I've actually done. Need to put up some pictures of it while it's still clean from the show.

I missed out a couple of updates.

I took the gearbox out last November, because the gear shift was terrible. I'd be lucky to get third without grinding.

With the box out of the truck, I replaced the M spring and metal shuttlecock bushing and had new brass bushes made to fit the nosecone and hockey stick.

I had a bunch of other jobs to do while the box was out (rust proofing etc), so I only had a chance to get it back in last month.

After refitting the gearbox though, I still couldn't get third properly.

A final straw came when I tried to fully torque up the right hand RGB-to-spring plate bolts. One of the bolts had a different, coarse thread, so I figured the previous owner who fitted that gearbox, had stripped the hole and re-tapped it for a coarser bolt. When I tried to torque it up though it just ripped the threads out of the hole. They'd just screwed a coarser bolt in and not bothered to torque it properly. When I torqued it properly, it just tore the threads out.

I hired a time-sert kit to fix the stripped hole properly, but I didn't realise how much it had ovalled because the spring plate had been smacking on the loose bolt. The thread cutting tap went in at an odd angle and I broke one of the flutes. At that point; with me having spent god knows how long on the truck over the winter, my wife decided that we should get the box rebuilt and the stripped bolt hole fixed. Getting her husband back was worth the cost of a gearbox rebuild.

The bolt stripped at about 3pm on a Saturday. I Googled Bears and Cogbox's websites, but it was past closing time, so I figured I'd have to wait until the following week to book the box in for a rebuild. I'd already booked for today's Plum Jam and it was about a month away, so I was p155ed that I'd probably miss it, but my wife decided to try calling Cogbox anyhow and Peter picked up the phone. After speaking with him, I decided that he was the guy I wanted to do the job. I already had the following Monday booked off as holiday, so I arranged to drop the box off with him on the Monday.

Peter had a couple of boxes ahead of mine in the queue, but he stripped it down and called me about a week later. He diagnosed that third looked OK but 2nd and 4th were pretty hammered. The rebuild cost was scary, but I wanted it done, I've heard good things about his work and I got a good vibe from him when I dropped the box off, so I had him go ahead and rebuild it and fix the knackered RGB springplate bolt hole while he was at it.

A few days later, Peter called me to say it was ready, so I picked the box up on the Saturday and started to put it back in the truck.

That was a few weeks ago. I had to go up to Blackpool for work that coming week, so I knew I'd have to steam in to it if I was to meet my deadline of being back on the road for Plum Jam. I worked every evening after I got back from Blackpool and all last weekend to get it back together. While the gearbox was out originally, I'd sorted some wiring issues, but couldn't finish and test any of that with the truck in the garage, so I had to finish that as well after I'd got the box back in and I was able to roll it outside.

I finally managed a quick shake-down run round the block on Thursday and another one yesterday. That was cutting it close enough for me. 8O
Last edited by Who.Me? on Sun May 28, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:31 pm

I won a pedal pan on ebay just before christmas.

99p!

(Plus £10.00 delivery :lol: )
DSC_0207.JPG
DSC_0205.JPG
After a bit of massaging with wood scraps, clamps and a hammer, I managed to rough it out to this...
DSC_0252.JPG
DSC_0254.JPG
I do wonder how they managed to mash the rear of the pedal pan so badly though.
Last edited by Who.Me? on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Took Errol for an advisory MoT yesterday, because it'll likely need one next year if they go through with the power-to-weight ratio criteria exclusion from MoT exemption.

It passed all the mechanical stuff which was reassuring, but it ultimately 'failed' on one issue - it doesn't have windscreen washers.

Never occurred to me that would be a problem because it wasn't built with washers and all the other as-built items that would fail on a modern car (seat belts, red rear indicators etc.) have MoT exemptions. I should have Googled :roll:

I'll have to rig up washers in the overhead vent. I'm not bloody drilling the front panel and I'm not fitting safaris.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Been doing a few cosmetic jobs lately. I' preparing some oak slats that I bought from a local timber supplier a few weeks back. I decided to fill any knot holes and splits with epoxy resin tinted with black pigment, to stop any rainwater getting inside the timber. They'll be oiled before installation, but that only protects the outer surface. The resin should stop any water getting inside the timber and rotting it out from the inside.
DSC_0001-002.JPG
The epoxy seeped in to the knot holes and cracks and in a lot of places it emerged on the other side or the edge of the slat, showing the path water would have taken through the timber.
DSC_0002-001.JPG

The slats will go on these hoops I bought from NLA VW when they had a discount on ebay back in February.
hoops.jpg
I like these hoops because they bolt together where the bow meets the upright, rather than being welded. I'm going to get a local blacksmith to cut 20-odd cm off the uprights and weld in some reinforcements, so I can remove the cut sections to lower the hoops to get in to the garage, and bolt them back in to run at full height with the canopy.

They had a discount on their canopy too a couple of months ago, so I bought one of those. Got a very good deal when the two discounts are combined.
DSC_0413.JPG
DSC_0414-001.JPG

I also treated myself to some of the 'genuine VW' repro chrome hubcaps and painted the centres black. The truck came to me with grey hubcaps, which are correct for later commercials, but mine should have chrome with painted centres. The quality of the VW repops is a bit hit and miss. I had to send three of the first set back. One was scratched and the other two had pits in the chrome. At this price, I'd expected a hell of a lot better. The second set are fine though.
DSC_0495-001.JPG
After doing these, I decided they're probably too nice, so bought some used, cheapo chrome hubcaps to use for day-to-day use. These are the cheapo ones. I'll put the good ones on, if I want to impress. :lol:
DSC_0004-001.JPG

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:40 am

Test assembled the top part of my bows yesterday. The metal is the kit from NLA VW where the curved bits bolt to the uprights, rather than being welded in one piece. One of the end caps needed tweaking, so I had to assemble and disassemble it a few times. Killed my thigh muscles climbing and squatting between the slats.
DSC_0049-001.JPG
And a few weeks back, I refitted the speedo. I'd sent it to Thorsten at Krautclassic parts for the patina look refurb and had the odometer digits repainted.
DSC_0042-1.JPG
Attachments
DSC_0042-1.JPG

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:18 am

Who.Me? wrote:Test assembled the top part of my bows yesterday. The metal is the kit from NLA VW where the curved bits bolt to the uprights, rather than being welded in one piece. One of the end caps needed tweaking, so I had to assemble and disassemble it a few times. Killed my thigh muscles climbing and squatting between the slats.
DSC_0049-001.JPG
And a few weeks back, I refitted the speedo. I'd sent it to Thorsten at Krautclassic parts for the patina look refurb and had the odometer digits repainted.
DSC_0042-1.JPG
Love the attention to detail...
Excellent thread..ImageImageImage

G
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:47 pm

[/quote]Love the attention to detail...
Excellent thread..ImageImageImage

G
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll bet the guys who built these would think we're bonkers for the amount of time we'll spend on doing jobs they spent five minutes on. :lol:

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:58 pm

LOL but they WOULD be pleased!

🤓🤓🤓
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 am

At last!. I moved the truck outside yesterday and test fitted the tilt. Then I got the grinder out and cut the bolt-together bows to make them height adjustable.

Outside with the bows at full height, I test fitted the complete tilt and bows set. I bought these from NLA VW last year and had slats made locally.

If I was doing this again, I'd ask NLA VW what size slats they intended to use. I think they used thinner ones than I did. I took the specs from dropgates.com so mine should be stock size, but when I fitted them, I found that the bolt holes for the two outermost slats didn't line up, so I had to re-drill those.

The tilt is a snug fit, but went on quite easily and it took seconds to remove it. VW had the design spot on for ease of use. Folding it up to get it back in the bag took longer than fitting and removing it.

This was the first time I've seen it outside with the chrome hubcaps that it would have had when new. I prefer them to the grey ones.

Eagle-eyed viewers will note that the tilt and bows are higher than my garage door, but I had that covered...
Last edited by Who.Me? on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:48 am

These hoops look the same as VW's originals but NLA VW altered the design slightly. VW's originals were sent to dealers with the legs of the hoops separate from the curved parts and the dealer had to weld the bits together, then paint them. These have tongues welded on to the hoops where the VW ones are welded to the legs. The tongues fit inside the legs and bolt through them so you don't have to weld the curves to the legs.

They did that to make them easier to ship, but it also means that you can take the whole top off with the slats. That gave me an idea...

There isn't enough headroom in my garage to park the truck with the bows at stock height and it's not practical to take the whole kit apart and reassemble it when I want to use the tilt, so I got the grinder out and set about altering the bows for daily use.

I had a local blacksmith make up some inserts like the tongues that were welded to the curved parts of the bows, but these are about a foot long. I measured the difference in height between the top of the bows and the cab roof, and cut that amount off the top of each leg, then drilled the cut pieces and bolted the inserts to the cut pieces.

Then I set the top part with the slats down on the cut legs and drilled them to match the bolt holes on the tongues on the curved part. I need to get some more hardware, but I'm going to use wing nuts and spacers for those fixings so they're quick to bolt up and release.

It fits neatly in the garage now and I shouldn't have any problems with car park height limits either.

To raise the bows back to full height to fit the tilt, I'll unbolt the curved part of the bows, bolt the reinforced cut out pieces back in and bolt the curve part down to those.

I just need to paint the inserts, get some cap screws to bolt them together and touch up where I cut and drilled the original legs.

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Mon May 28, 2018 4:36 pm

We took the portable sunshade to Plum Jam 2018 yesterday. Makes a good lunch bench too.

Just need some comfy chairs...
33599959_10216286937585101_7937135812531978240_n-001.jpg
33602803_10216286939065138_5043724462428520448_n.jpg
33663904_10216286938585126_4765793409262682112_n.jpg

Topic Author
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Did this a few weeks ago, but I'm adding it as an update to my rides thread in case anyone does a forum search. Errol has a 1600 dual port with a genuine Solex 34 PICT 3 carb matched to the correct european-spec SVDA distributor but it would not idle.

I'd tried tuning it loads of times and I could get it idling fine, but then I'd take it for a drive and there was a fair chance that it would stall as soon as I came to a stop. The problem wasn't consistent, sometimes it would idle fine, sometimes I'd have to give it some gas at lights just to keep it running.

I could also never get it to just start from cold on the key, I'd have to pump the gas while I cranked it and hold my foot on the gas it for 15-20 seconds to get it to warm up a little, then it would idle, but barely. It never fast idled, even though I checked the choke etc. were working fine. No air leaks either.

This is what it was like...

https://youtu.be/Nd4UZ7ZPcRs

I checked the jetting information online and everything looked OK. The main jet was one size larger than stock, but that seems to be the norm for modern part-ethanol road fuels. After reading through all 20-odd pages of this thread on The Samba on a long car journey though, I thought I'd try a larger idle jet... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0

I bought a selection of idle jets from Eurocarb, and for starters I upped the jet from a 55 to a 57.5 and re-tuned it. Success. It starts on the key and fast idles fine now...

https://youtu.be/NTGranabxSU

I read a lot of threads here and on The Samba about idle problems with these carbs, so this might help someone else in future.