RHD 1954 Samba

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
ned

Re: RHD 1954 Samba

Post by ned »

Perfection!

Karl_F
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Karl_F »

Perfect dude! 8-)
Karl

1960 Mango 11 window

Mango build thread

Instagram & Facebook @ 73Aircooled

steve j l
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by steve j l »

Went up Pod on sunday, very disappointing weather... but was super chuffed to have a look round your bus.

Few pics:

Awesome.
"Meanwhile back at the ranch!!"

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Thanks guys really appreciate all the kind words. Im super stoked. Few more things to get sorted but just so happy it seems to drive ok and so far no major issues :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

carl12
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by carl12 »

Looks Absolutely Amazing congrats you must be over the moon.

Look forward to hooking the 2 old girls together

Cheers Carl.

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

carl12 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:21 pm
Looks Absolutely Amazing congrats you must be over the moon.

Look forward to hooking the 2 old girls together

Cheers Carl.
That really will be fun mate, whens the planned "finish" date?

carl12
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by carl12 »

Hopefully not to to long away are let u know.

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

I have a long list of little jobs still to do, most of which are nothing major just fettling but one id been putting off since having a quick go and it being a total pain in the arse is is fitting the deluxe trim insert, my bus came with a large portion of its original trim, complete with 60 plus years of dirt making the red trim look almost black. I wanted as elsewhere on the build to use as much as what is original as possible.

Some of the original insert i have left, you can see the original colour here on the reverse

After a little soak in very hot water the insert went pretty pliable, originally i hadnt warmed it through and it was so dry that when i tried to get it in the trim it would snap and crack.

before

And after

I inserted it leaving gaps at the ends as per what seems to be the norm on other original deluxes,it seems the insert shrinks with heat over time.

The front pieces in, you can see here so dirty they look brown/black

Its a subtle change but im well chuffed that its all in now. I didn't have enough to do all the trim so I have had to fauxtina some :D This involved sanding lightly some repro insert i actually used on my last samba and then rubbing it all over the workshop floor, through oil dirt and grime :D :D :D

clymoj

Post by clymoj »

Nice extra detail.

I love your commitment to using the original parts, makes it a really honest bus

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

clymoj wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 am
Nice extra detail.

I love your commitment to using the original parts, makes it a really honest bus
Thanks dude :cheers:

This weekend ive been trying to sort out my rear shocks. I wanted the bus to have a tucked rear end making use of the narrower standard barndoor rear end. Unlike a later bus a short axle straight axle box bolts straight in which is exactly what im running here, mine is out of an early type 3. This means however the rear wheels end up much closer to the body and closer still when you factor in the camber added by running at the height im at.

After a chat with the boys I made a template for some shock mounts which i hoped to bolt through the end of the axles and attach the top of the shock to a plate that would sit inside the chassis rail above.

Prototypes mk i

8 mm steel

Basically if my bus was running a long axle set up with would have worked. But due to the proximity of the tyre and inner arch under load where i had planned to run the shock it was impossible. Literally no room.

After some head scratching and lots of cardboard templates prototype Mkii was born

These were drawn up at 10pm on Thursday and by lunch time the following day my good friend Mike had made them for me. Very very useful having a buddy that owns his own fabrication and engineering shop! Thanks so much Mike i owe you plenty of beer!! :cheers: :cheers:

We re tweaked the design of the shock plates too making them sit higher within the scrub line of the wheel and Mike laser cut me some spacers, washers and the plates for inside the chassis.

offering them up for trial fitment

Bolted in and under full load, no clearance issues and appears to work ok

Drove it today and it has made such a massive improvement to ride quality. I need to properly set all the tracking front and rear as its a little lively in the ruts on the motorway but that's a job for an evening this week, happy boy!

Last edited by kilgore on Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f »

I do love the "Engineering in Action" approach to problem solving...
Interesting to do some Finite Analysis on your solution to suspension geometry..
Well done..
Check the fabrication regularly!

G
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

type21f wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:12 pm
I do love the "Engineering in Action" approach to problem solving...
Interesting to do some Finite Analysis on your solution to suspension geometry..
Well done..
Check the fabrication regularly!

G
If it doesnt exist already, have a go yourself right? I am in no way an engineer and happy to do this on my bus in a non critical area, safety wise. Ive had a few good friends that are more knowledgeable in these things cast their eye over the setup and thus far no body has spotted anything untoward. Id welcome any feedback from others. So far, it has no clearance issues and has stopped the bus from bouncing down the road so im pretty happy

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Last night re tracked the front and rear! The rears were 16mm toeing out 8O 8O which may explain some of the twitchyness at speed haha!

Adjusted that and re checked the fronts for good measure and its now driving fantastic. The front spax shocks were still too stiff at half adjustment so i have softened them to maximum softness and ride quality is so much better! Finally really happy with how its driving now!

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Managed to get a few more jobs done last night and today, massive thanks to Snips and especially Rob for his help today, thanks so much boys :cheers: :cheers:

Bus now has the original rear view mirror fitted. Its tatty as hell and the visor is snapped by i love its original to the van. I forgot to take a pic of that but ill post another time.Next job was to get the rear jail bars repaired and fitted.

They are original to the bus and in a pretty bad way, snapped in a few places and pretty kinked and bent.

This photo doesn't quite due them justice they very kinked and very bent :evil:

Ste got busy with the vice and straightened out the kinks whilst i had the slightly awkward job of removing the remains of original samba from each of the mounting clamps.

Id soaked these for days and the screws still will not move.

I ended up using a flappy disk to grind through the screws, remains of bus and the remnants of the original headliner

Straightened, repaired and all the original screws removed :cheers:

I have even managed to save all the original end mounts too from the remains of the original window frames.

Every single part of the jail bar assembly are all original to the bus, little bits like this make me happy! Sad I know :D :D

Next up the real fiddly job of fitting it! Rob has been a total hero and essentially did this for me. The thought of drilling the new headliner was slightly too daunting for me. Thanks dude!! I owe you as always :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

markp
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by markp »

dude !!!!!

I just done the complete thread

WOW just WOW

well done for saving a amazing bus .... the time and money spent is probably tearfull but
who gives a sh*t hu .... it all your's and its blooooming amazing

hats off she looks so sweet

massive massive respect dude

bet you SMILE every time your drive it ......

Markp

viewtopic.php?f=8&p=598598#p598598

If you're going to dive in then make sure it's the deep end ! SIMPLES :D