RHD 1954 Samba

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
kilgore

Re: RHD 1954 Samba

Post by kilgore »

Thanks all for the kind comments! Recovering from a very heavy weekend at Vowo! lots and lots of celebratory beers :D :D

I'll pick up with where i left off last week probably later this week. But she made it to the show ( albeit on a trailer ) and drove in and around the show ground! Super super chuffed and knackered. What a great weekend. Couldn't have been better weather!

Massive massive thanks are in order to a few of my close mates who without all their tireless efforts in helping getting it done it wouldn't have made it!! Matt, Bob, Rob, Pete, Gaz, Snips, Paul, Col, Rob, Scriv, Brains, Mike, Austin & Tom!

Thanks so much boys :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

here's a few snaps from the weekend. I didn't take many so a few aren't mine....

Just off the trailer round the back

Col and Del boy having a word

Drove in a parked up with its slightly older taller brother :D :D

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward »

Dam its LOW :D :twisted: 8) ..... well done to all :cheers:
ernie

Post by ernie »

What happens if you want to go anywhere that have speed bumps dave?
Hats off to you mate..that is an epic build & many would have considered that bus past saving.
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

ernie wrote:What happens if you want to go anywhere that have speed bumps dave?
Hats off to you mate..that is an epic build & many would have considered that bus past saving.
Thanks dude :D :D :D a question I got asked continually in a bus i did over 15,000 miles in all across europe and beyond that was equally as low. Slowly and every now and then it touches a little! no dramas.
Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward »

we all need more pics ;-)
silversteve
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by silversteve »

AWESOME!!!

Good job Kilgore
friedgreedo

Post by friedgreedo »

Absolutely bonkers!
I'm in total awe of the workmanship and dedication on display here. On top of being an incredible resto which has resulted in an amazing looking bus, you're sooo low (and static which is great to see!).

PS, would you mind if I featured a photo on my Static Slam FB page?
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

silversteve wrote:AWESOME!!!

Good job Kilgore
friedgreedo wrote:Absolutely bonkers!
I'm in total awe of the workmanship and dedication on display here. On top of being an incredible resto which has resulted in an amazing looking bus, you're sooo low (and static which is great to see!).

PS, would you mind if I featured a photo on my Static Slam FB page?
Thanks guys! And no of course not dude fire away take whatever you need.

Ive been having a much needed break from the bus after volksworld! The run up nearly killed me and I definitely needed take a few days off.

I had been having gearbox issues some of which documented above already. All of which coming from what would seem the combination of the fancy billet nose cone i had bought and my early 1500 swing axe box. For volksworld the bus only had two forward gears and no reverse :roll:

This had been playing on my mind, yesterday was my first day off so prime time to get it back on the ramp and take another look.

Gratuitous pics just cause the light was so lovely in the workshop yesterday morning!

On the ramp which is no mean feet on your own! Bloody low cars :D

Engine and box back out again...

Above you can see the billet nose cone. In this configuration i was using what i believed to be a a bus hockey stick and this billet nose cone. When trying to select reverse no matter what we tried it was grinding badly and would not go in.

Scoring by the hockey stick bush

I had a original bus nose cone in my stash so compared the two. The recess for the kink in the original hockey stick is significant and not present on the the billet one

Basically after much deliberation and the arrival of my infinitely knowledgeable buddy Colin who spotted the issue straight away we sorted it. The hockey stick i thought was bus due to the kink was actually beetle that somebody had tried to bend in the past but hadn't actually bent it enough. So when trying to select reverse it was actually selecting two gears at the same time hence the grinding noise. So a blow torch, vice and a hammer and Col bent the hockey stick the correct amount and it works a treat. Ive ditched the billet nose cone as it just wont work with my current early 1500. Gaz luckily had bought another nose cone mount for his bus that he let me pinch and attach to my original bus nose cone meaning that it could all go back together there and then :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Happy boy!!

Test fitting to make sure I could get all the gears

A few hours later and i had a running bus again complete with all gears!!!

Popped into the unit after work today and drove it out and took it round our site. I had my camera today so took a couple of snaps. I didnt have much time so only a few. I need to take more to show how great the headliner is for Austin & Tom over at Waboo Automotive.....

Dare i say it but it was actually too low to drive, after only the few hundred meters it had driven i had gotten fully stuck twice :D So I raised it a little yesterday too. Only a smidge but has made a world of difference to how it drives.

Was so much fun to properly get up some speed. Lots of little niggly bits to sort over the next few weeks, praying the DVLA hurry up with the reg so i can get it to Big Bang and Stanford Hall under its own steam.
Last edited by kilgore on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panel van lee
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by panel van lee »

Wow. What a great build this has turned into, hats off to everyone involved. You must be buzzing to finally take a drive and end up with such a cool bus.
13bussing

Post by 13bussing »

Hats off to every one who put this bus back together it looks insane,

If you make it down to cornwall hope you can get down to st ives.
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

panel van lee wrote:Wow. What a great build this has turned into, hats off to everyone involved. You must be buzzing to finally take a drive and end up with such a cool bus.
13bussing wrote:Hats off to every one who put this bus back together it looks insane,

If you make it down to Cornwall hope you can get down to st ives.
Thanks guys! Im really really happy with how its turned out. We will definitely be in Cornwall this summer. We have a week booked at the end of August. I'll be returning her to her place of resurrection and terrorising Smith and Bob for an afternoon
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Weather was perfect today so headed off to the unit to play a little cars! Arrived and Martin and his coke bus were waiting to say hello and collect some parts.

Dusted off and got my single cab out for the first time this year. Gave it a wash and compared heights to the samba :D

Then took the samba out for its first fuel stop!

Factory engine lid stay...

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward »

any news re the dvla yet ;-)
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Paul Hayward wrote:any news re the dvla yet ;-)
I got a letter saying it needed inspecting which happened last Wednesday, im waiting to here more. I had hoped to take it to big bang this weekend but sadly didn't happen!

Fingers crossed it does this week or no Stanford hall either.
Bally

Post by Bally »

Just caught up on the last few weeks. Great work by all involved, great work indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
59 Split Panel Deluxe
63 rhd Squareback project