RHD 1954 Samba

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
kilgore

Re: RHD 1954 Samba

Post by kilgore »

readyboy61 wrote:I dunno lots of people have told you to turn those axle boots around and you still havent done it :lol: :wink:
This is correct and thank you for the reminder!! There is a reason. I'm waiting on new spring plates, once they have arrived and are on I will dutifully be fitting the boots at the precisely the correct angle :D :D

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Managed to get a day off work today so straight down the workshop to continue. The plan today was to get the engine issues sorted and running! Which we managed to do!! Very pleased with that.

I have got a video of it firing up but i cant figure out how to post a video in the thread directly. Can anyone explain to me how to do this :)

One job started today which has been on my todo list but ive been putting off is rebuilding the dash pod. In short it was totally screwed. All the bulb holders had rusted in and snapped with bulbs in, the bakelite holders of the lights had cracked as well the part that holds the ignition barrel. This is particularly bad and is damaged all the way around the base. I managed to get a replacement internal spring and bakelite internal switch from Split parts unlimited in Argentina but unfortunately they dont sell the actual main bakelite barrel or the 3 way brass prong at the bottom so rebuild and repair it is!

I didnt take make pics of this bit as I was too busy contemplating smashing the damn thing!!! So fiddly and irritating. My good buddy Pete took over and managed to get it all back together.

Here you can see the remnants of some of the bulb holders and the internal bakelite collar and spring

and here is the somewhat homebrew attempt at securing the main bakelite collar. All the screw fittings had split apart, we managed to cut down some other screws to replace the tine worn brass originals and then strategically support the whole thing with a cable tie. This is a little Heath Robinson but is the best way to support the collar with out crushing it or completely gluing it to the back of the pod which isnt ideal. Longer term i think i'm gonna have to try and find a replacement or perhaps get one 3d printed.

Pete managed to get it all back together and i now have a full working ignition barrel complete with NOS key and barrel :cheers: :cheers:

We moved on to some of the electrics and i have to admit this bit made me grin lots!!!

Its amazing to see it coming to life! Perhaps even more so than the engine running!!

and the best till last :D :D :D :D

type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f »

Enlightening..
Lol
G
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop

SplitBusVanatic

Post by SplitBusVanatic »

Wow.

markp
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by markp »

blimy !!!!

the bus is looking AMAZING well done that man ....I'm amazed how great it looks and how well you blended in over the repairs thus keeping it all looking original ...very cleaver dude

Keep going buddy not long now :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: 8)

Markp

viewtopic.php?f=8&p=598598#p598598

If you're going to dive in then make sure it's the deep end ! SIMPLES :D

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

markp wrote:blimy !!!!

the bus is looking AMAZING well done that man ....I'm amazed how great it looks and how well you blended in over the repairs thus keeping it all looking original ...very cleaver dude

Keep going buddy not long now :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: 8)

Markp
SplitBusVanatic wrote:Wow.
Thanks guys :cheers: :cheers:

Few little updates.

I ordered some new beam bolts off Ned ( thanks dude ) pretty perfect reproduction of the Barndoor only ones.

I only actually had two originals and both were ermmm a bit F'd

Both my cab door locks were pretty screwed. Rick at Schofields had these NOS locks from a later bus, not barndoor but work perfectly and nobody will ever know :D :roll: :D

I posted this photo on my Instagram, this was Thursday night this week but could have been pretty much any evening over the past few months. I am bloody fortunate to have a great bunch of close VW fools that willingly give up their time to help me get my .... done. Many of which aren't pictured here but i'm really lucky and truly grateful!!

These two stayed till way way in to the early hours to complete the wiring to the dash pod!! Thanks guys!

I managed to find a beautiful set of gnarly rear pressed bumper trims for the rear bumper. They came all the way from Sweden thanks so much Robin!

They are perfect. Cable tied on here as they were a little bent and needed tweaking to fit.

crappy photo as it was getting dark but they look great and perfect for the bus.

Also had to take the front badge off for repair yesterday. One of the pins had snapped off long ago and one was so badly rusted i didnt trust it!

Dash pod and dash in too this week whoop!!!

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Its been a bit of a roller coaster week this week. On Thursday I had planned to get the rear wheels all completely finished. Id finally sorted and figured out the hand brake issue meaning the drums could be on for the last time hopefully, hub nubs on torqued and split pins in etc.

Alex from Transporterhaus had sent me the final custom spring plates so just a case of sticking them on, wheels on and the old girl would be pretty much ready for its first drive.

The VW gods said no! First major issue was because i had asked Alex to make the spring plates 20 mm longer than even his normal extended ones the axle would not go on. It necked out on the gearbox before it could get round the end of the spring plate due to the extended length. Wheel on, wheel off absolutely no chance. In the end we had to fit the spring plate then fit the torsion bar through the spring plate. No photos of this but it was a massive massive ball ache and getting the rear wheels on took most of the morning. Once on another issue became quickly apparent they were too long. At full droop the wheels had a ridiculous :D amount of toe out, even at ride height we still had about 13mm of to out :D :roll:

The main aim was to try and get the bus rolling this week so even with the ludicrous toe there was little we could do about it on Thursday so we decided to continue on and try and get it driving.

Engine running on the ramp, gearbox filled up with oil everything tight we decided to try for all the gears. 2nd and 4th working 1st and 3rd making the worst grinding noise you ever heard. Will not go in to gear even with the engine off or by manually man handling the shift rod. :evil: :evil: :evil:

So at about 4 on the Thursday we decided the gearbox was shot and everything needed to come back out :roll: :roll:

So cup of tea, a few deep breaths and off we go again. I had a spare 1300 box id bought as a back up but it is long axle so would need everything completely stripping cleaning and rebuilding!!

Engine out again! Lovely and easy with a ramp and the luxury of a barndoor engine compartment...

Now the fun part, the custom billet nose cone i bought is quite possibly the most awkward thing to undo coupled with the issue of the over long spring plates. We decided to try and back it all out complete.

Pretty depressing sight, felt right back at the start again....

Gearbox out, now it needed to be completely stripped and all gaskets and crap cleaned off

10pm everything stripped bloody gearbox oil everywhere ( hence the kitty litter :D ) i tried a OG chrome sprint on, I liked them everyone else didn't :D

Last edited by kilgore on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

A new day Friday, full of optimism :D

Dug my spare box out of the back room, side plates off to remove axles and axles just fall out, no crown gears, no fulcrum plates, retaining clips etc just a .... done of aluminum swarf!! Perfect!! On first inspection total scrap, worse than the first. No photos i was fully ...... off :D

Pete offered me another gearbox which we couldn't collect until lunch as he didnt have his keys. This had pretty much scuppered my chances of getting the engine and box back in. Twiddling our thumbs a little i had very kind offers of gearboxes from several mates but unfortunately all many miles away.

In the midst of my mid morning rage the postie dropped off some parcels i had been waiting for from Norway. My front bumper and fuel tank.

I knew the bumper was pretty fooked however the kink in the parcel alarmed me. Coupled with a metallic rattling as I picked it up i was some what concerned :D

The tank is pretty perfect dented but solid. I think given the stress of the day i totally forgot to take a photo of how bad the bumper was. Thankfully the rattling was a hinge inside included for a friend of mine i had forgotten about.

Heres a pic sent to me by Tom the seller before i purchased it. It looked pretty bent, in the flesh it looked a lot worse :D :D Original Barndoor samba front bumpers dont come up that often though...

Col and the Goat popped in and withing 10 minutes we had the black country anvil out and they were straightening it for me :cheers: :cheers:

Curiosity had gotten the better of Pete and he had stripped the second box completely as the swarf was only ali and he thought he may be able to assemble one box from the two broken ones

the boy wonder at work.....

The gear assembly actually looked in in ok condition, after some discussion and testing of the original box we could select all gears by hand, it was meant to have come from a known car and both Pete and I had commented it was unusual for a VW box to be so foooked as it couldn't drive. Thinking that even when really noisy or clunky gears can be selected.

After a little head scratching Pete found the issue, the hockey stick supplied with the fancy new nose cone doesnt clear the rotating nut in the top of the gearbox on an early box and on closing inspection the hockey stick was freshly scored and the rotating nut on the box itself had evidence of rubbing on the corners. I luckily had a bus hockey stick which is stepped. Test fitted the original hockey stick and and we could select all gears :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Sooooo reassemble the whole thing again, new gaskets etc etc and back in!!

Col and Goatface fixed the bumper perfectly!! Brand new brackets from Brian in the states and the bus has an original bumper back on once more. Thank you so much both!! It looks like it has always been on the bus!! Very very happy with that purchase!

Whilst Pete was frantically sorting the gearbox i was assembling the glass and seals for the safaris, a fairly irrelevant job it would seem but the bus is going for trim on Tuesday and I need it to be water tight for when it comes back. I had been putting it off as i thought it was going to be mega fiddly but with fairy and water they went together like a dream! A first for a little while :D

Whilst all of this had been going on id been messaging Alex from Transporterhaus about my cock up with the spring plates. He has been amazing!! He sent me new plates overnight to cut up and shorten to get the measurements exactly right ( he even drove to the courier depot as his daily courier collection had been to make sure they got to me next day, thank you so much mate it really really is appreciated and well well above and beyond )

So I started with the help of goatfacekiller, rob and Gaz putting the original box back together and back into the bus with the engine.

Pete got to measuring and shortening the new spring plates from Alex.

Do not try this at home kids! Welded spring plates for trial fitting only :D :D

And fast forward a few very very frantic hours and about 6 o'clock we had gears ( well 4 forward ones ) and the bus was ready to test drive for the first time.

Pushing it out was a very very special moment

There is video of it driving but i still cant figure out how to add it here!

Super super happy and so so so grateful to Rob, Pete, Snips and Gaz for all the help over the last few days!! I'm so grateful boys and properly in your debt!

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Yesterday I had an old friend visit too, Mike bought his old girl which also happens to be one of my favorite buses ( im biased )

got stuck in to a little more blending. Goes on shiny and the wrong colour you have to have a little blind faith when spraying :D

Fixed the front badge and popped that back on...

Image[/url]

Come a little way since it was last rolling....

lowdown dirty rat

Post by lowdown dirty rat »

Damn!!!!!! 8O 8) :D
My new all time favourite bus !!!! And parked next to my faviourite non-deluxe too :o
You do know how to choose good buses.
I better pull my finger out. Can't have someone else's bus being your favourite :wink:
1951 Samba 20-017894
1952 Samba 20-028952

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

lowdown dirty rat wrote:Damn!!!!!! 8O 8) :D
My new all time favourite bus !!!! And parked next to my faviourite non-deluxe too :o
You do know how to choose good buses.
I better pull my finger out. Can't have someone else's bus being your favourite :wink:
:D :D thanks dude!! I really cant wait to park ours up next to each other!!

lowdown dirty rat

Post by lowdown dirty rat »

Why did you not use the original bumper?
Are you going to use the original interior Panels?
1951 Samba 20-017894
1952 Samba 20-028952

kilgore

Post by kilgore »

lowdown dirty rat wrote:Why did you not use the original bumper?
Are you going to use the original interior Panels?
The original bumpers weren't with it when it was found, long gone. It had a later non Barndoor front one on when it was pulled out and no rear at all.

I would have loved to use original interior panels too but sadly i only have a couple and they are in pretty bad condition. Its going to be fully trimmed inside which i was a little hesitant about but i really dont have much choice as i have so little of anything original. I'm going to keep my eye open for OG panels, maybe one day ill be able to reinstate some originals

steve j l
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by steve j l »

awesome...
"Meanwhile back at the ranch!!"

rusty1962
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by rusty1962 »