RHD 1954 Samba

Show off your pristine van, restoration, or daily driver.
kilgore

Re: RHD 1954 Samba

Post by kilgore »

shelltoes wrote:I'll start the voting with an "aye" for the Appliance rims.
To be fair they all worked. The pacers looked a little too custom!

My favourite is still the burners.
type21f
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by type21f »

Burners..

Looking forward to the blending..
G
1965 Type21f
Westfalia Hamburg Type155i 003 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64012
1965 Devon Caravette, L360 L289 Hammock, Tent, M W Pop
Peebles 1964 Devon Caravette Gentlux Pop
Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Hongkongphooey »

Amazing Transformation!, I cant wait to see the next install :D . Burners look spot on too 8)

(Oh and can you give me your DSR's please... :D If your not using them...)
'60 RHD Devon
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Hongkongphooey wrote:Amazing Transformation!, I cant wait to see the next install :D . Burners look spot on too 8)

(Oh and can you give me your DSR's please... :D If your not using them...)
Thanks dude! I have a bit of a wheel addiction, I don't like to let any of them go!! :D :twisted:

put one under the arch for you this evening though....

lowdown dirty rat

Post by lowdown dirty rat »

There is a possibility I might run with Randar Maltesers if that matters.
That or steel smoothies.
Rikkie has got the thrusts, KCW and the Uk bus that went to NZ had gas burners but neither of them are about anymore.
But any of them will look amazing on your bus dude. And the patina will always make you unique looking.
1951 Samba 20-017894
1952 Samba 20-028952
Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Hongkongphooey »

Looks amazing on the DSR's :D But (Thought I would never say it as I love those wheels) I think I prefer the Burners!.. 8) :D

Thanks for posting up the photos of the trial fit though, much appreciated.
'60 RHD Devon
readyboy61
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by readyboy61 »

Might be a sily question, but all the new metal panels and welded seams look lile they are going rusty, whats the plan? :cyclopsani:
Fixing VWs in my sleep, im not the only one right?
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

readyboy61 wrote:Might be a sily question, but all the new metal panels and welded seams look lile they are going rusty, whats the plan? :cyclopsani:
yeah they are from the salt on the roads on the journey back. I've wiped them all down but will put some stop on the exposed bits and sand it off before i prime and blend those areas. Not to fussed about it currently, may even help with the ageing :D
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Thought id update the thread with a few of the last week or so's comings and goings.

In short i've been buying what feels like endless lists of parts, very expensive bits that individually seem largely irrelevant but total up to a hell of a lot!!

Made my self a subtle engine lid stand

The beam is pretty much complete now, slam arms made, leaves shortened, spindles built and on, track rods shorted and brakes just waiting on bolts and they can be built up.

As soon as the shortened idler pin arrives this can go in! :cheers:

Gearbox is getting there too although realised once the strip down started that i'm missing a single fulcrum plate, lost or not present when I bought the box im not sure? but either way its not there now. Was also missing the side spacers and circlips. Dave at fishers came to the rescue there! Thanks dude

Super fancy machined nose cone by fast fab, expensive but looks a fast improvement over the cast version I used on my last bus.

I spent a hour or so wrestling the passenger door lock mech out last night. All of the screws were completely rusted solid so all had to be drilled out! Its insignificant jobs like this that eat time. Does anybody know if these mechs are the same as later split or Barndoor specific?

Started to clean up the peddle assembly and found another piece that is most likely scrap. RHD barndoor only i'm led to believe? so most likely impossible to find. Fortunately I have a friend with one so am planning on getting a copy machined.

Last job of the night was fit the first piece of glass, probably a little premature as i've still got to sort a headliner. Not sure i'm going to be able to get one fitted prior to VOWO so they may have to all come out again :roll: not decided yet what to do here but the glass looks great in the hole anyway

miles

Post by miles »

Thank you for posting an update :) Like the photos, they really tell the whole story :)
Canterbury Pitt Interior Instructions are here:
http://chocksaway.com/pitt/index.html
Who.Me?
SSVC Member
SSVC Member

Post by Who.Me? »

kilgore wrote: Made my self a subtle engine lid stand

That ^^^ scares me.

I got concussion after the treasure chest door on my single cab came unlatched while I was working in the chest. It swung down and the lock whacked me on the top of my head. It can only have dropped about a foot, but I was a bit of a retard on and off for a week after. :?
Last edited by Who.Me? on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

That ^^^ scares me.

I got concussion after the treasure chest door on my single cab came unlatched while I was working in the chest. It swung down and the lock whacked me on the top of my head. It can only have dropped about a foot, but I was a bit of a retard on and off for a week after. :?[/quote]

Thanks dude, that must of hurt! this was a temporary solution, i definitely wouldn't want that tailgate swinging down and hitting me :D :D
lowdown dirty rat

Post by lowdown dirty rat »

Wow subtle is the word. I can't even see it. :D
1951 Samba 20-017894
1952 Samba 20-028952
Disco Stew

Post by Disco Stew »

What an amazing build! Only a few years ago everyone would have considered even such a rare bus in that condition would be beyond saving.
Well done to all involved.
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

lowdown dirty rat wrote:Wow subtle is the word. I can't even see it. :D
:D :D On route to Cornwall as I write dude and your badge is with me. Will leave it with Smith
Disco Stew wrote:What an amazing build! Only a few years ago everyone would have considered even such a rare bus in that condition would be beyond saving.
Well done to all involved.
Thanks dude!

Big box of bits from Rick at Schofields arrived yesterday! And a smaller box from Butty thanks boys!

I'm waiting on more bits so my beam and gearbox can go in so whilst they are on route i started on some fiddly jobs last night. I wanted to get the original bakelite light bases off the remains of the original roof see if they were usable.

Given the state of my bus when found it really surprises me how mega brittle bits like this have manged to survive! Removed with a healthy dose of WD40 and complete and in one piece :cheers:

A good mate Pete popped in to collect some bits last night, after a brief chat and showing him some very bent and twisted ( sadly i forgot to take a photo of how bad they were ) sill trims he got to work straightening them. ( excuse state of workshop in the background :evil: :evil: )

End result was perfectly straight sill trims!!! :cheers: :cheers: such a shame i didnt take a before photo of these, they were truly truly fubar'd. Pete is a metal wizard :D :D thanks so much dude!

Last job of the night was to try and replace the broken lenses in my rear lights. Not an easy job and not one i was looking forward too. Again totally forgot to take a before pic so the after one will have to do....